Roger Nusbaum

View Roger Nusbaum's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Get The Beta Right [View article]
    I think you are describing something (new to me) that is called outcome oriented. You put together a portfolio intended to deliver some outcome like 4% yield and some volatility target. Getting to the volatility target might involve put options, some serious work with blending correlations (although that is not infallible) and some active trading.

That is a lot to take on, something I am just learning about but I think that is where your comment is headed.
    May 30 11:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get The Beta Right [View article]
    The history of bank loans suggests it doesn't historically have equity-like volatility but high yield is a little more complicated.

Over the long term it high yield has offered have the standard deviation of equities with more than 90% of the return per a white paper published by Peritus. The period studied though covered the 30 bull market in bonds.

If the returns can't be repeated then the vol should come down too, not to investment grade vol but still lower. Credit risk now is generally low in terms of default rates. There will obviously be some future unpredictable event where default rates go back up.

For years I have been saying small exposures to these types of things generally althoguh I have never used bank loans.
    May 30 08:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Alts Probably, Moderation Definitely! [View article]
    first sentence I say alternative investments. eighth paragraph I list a half a dozen examples
    May 16 10:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No, Your Portfolio Should Not Have 20% In Gold And 30% In Cash [View article]
    An ingredient to hyperinflation historically has been debts in other currencies. Wiemar owed war reparations from WWI. Zimbabwe also had issued debt in other currencies.

There are not a lot of samples but this is how it has worked.
    May 1 11:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No, Your Portfolio Should Not Have 20% In Gold And 30% In Cash [View article]
    a bear market could start tomorrow but would not change the fact that the stock market has an up year about 70% of the time
    May 1 08:48 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tiny Houses Can Help Grow A Huge Portfolio [View article]
    I mentioned that the idea of such a small house is a non-starter for most people but the concept is interesting and in general terms; simplification where possible and practical is a net positive.

Clearly simplification will mean different things to different people.
    Apr 11 04:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Can't Retire At 30, Then How About 38? [View article]
    See my comment above about volunteerism--you have an opportunity by virtue of age to help a lot of people for a lot of years.

In addition to my wife's work in animal rescue I am VERY involved with the volunteer fire department where I live and have been for many years already.

Based on how you describe your situation you have an opportunity to be very productive.
    Feb 20 09:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Can't Retire At 30, Then How About 38? [View article]
    Today's Tom Sawyer (great alias)

Why is the alternative to a white collar career puttering on a desert golf course? A lot of people do meaningful volunteer work. My wife volunteers full time for a dog rescue coordinating adoptions, doing marketing, social media for the rescue and a few other things. It is a full time vocation that she loves but happens to not get paid for.

The alternatives to a white collar career are endless. Around here people do seasonal work at state/national parks as one of many other examples.
    Feb 20 08:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Can't Retire At 30, Then How About 38? [View article]
    No affiliation to Marketwatch and no income for this or any SA article.

These types of articles about what other people have done are, for me, fun to read and fun to write about. Your hang up on "promotion" is off the mark. I've been blogging for many of years and generating little to no revenue from posts on my site, it is simply fun.

The pay off has been in having some life experiences I probably would not have otherwise had--meeting people, going to the NYSE a bunch of times (fun), speaking at some conferences and a few other things.

The article is not meant to be a step by step manual, just a light read that might get a couple of people to think about retirement in a way they had not done so before and so maybe get motivated to change their thought process.

You complained when you incorrectly thought I did not respond and then you complained when you found out I had responded so I expect you'll complain again but there is no way to entirely recreate a nine year thread on every post.
    Feb 20 08:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Can't Retire At 30, Then How About 38? [View article]
    um, yeah....I'm the author and I responded at 4:24 EST to the first comment.
    Feb 19 07:22 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Can't Retire At 30, Then How About 38? [View article]
    Michael.

Your comment is reasonable. By way of explanation/clarification this is a topic I have been writing about for over nine years and so have developed a very long term conversation and this post is the latest snippet in the conversation. I looked at your post and over the years these are all things I have covered (except maybe bartering) but in smaller chunks.

If you google 'roger nusbaum monetize a hobby' you will find a lot of articles that are much more specific and there other topics also covered very specifically.
    Feb 19 04:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Retire At 30! [View article]
    "Our occupations are not only what defines us but also gives our lives value and worth."

Gangsta,

While there is nothing wrong with that sentiment it is not an uncommon viewpoint, it should be easy to envision that there are other people who view it completely different than you do.
    Feb 15 06:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Retire At 30! [View article]
    "If you sell 4% every year..."
    Why are you assuming zero dividend? All dividend/no dividend is a false dichotomy.
    Feb 4 08:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Retire At 30! [View article]
    Thanks for all the comments. They capture many divergent views about lifestyle and retirement. Personally I've done work I love for quite a few years and hope to never retire per se.

I did not know their income was actually $80k although I think I allowed for the possibility that it was more than $25k the way I worded the article.

The real point is figuring out how to be happy and then trying to get there while still remembering that life is about the journey not the destination.
    Jan 30 09:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 4% Rule Is More Complicated Than You Think [View article]
    It just seems wrong to draw down the aftertax account and let the IRA compound.

similar to getting ten economists in a room and getting eleven opinions, everyone has their own ideas on this stuff.
    Jan 10 08:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment