Roger Nusbaum

View Roger Nusbaum's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How To Retire At 30! [View article]
    "Our occupations are not only what defines us but also gives our lives value and worth."

Gangsta,

While there is nothing wrong with that sentiment it is not an uncommon viewpoint, it should be easy to envision that there are other people who view it completely different than you do.
    Feb 15, 2014. 06:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Retire At 30! [View article]
    "If you sell 4% every year..."
    Why are you assuming zero dividend? All dividend/no dividend is a false dichotomy.
    Feb 4, 2014. 08:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Retire At 30! [View article]
    Thanks for all the comments. They capture many divergent views about lifestyle and retirement. Personally I've done work I love for quite a few years and hope to never retire per se.

I did not know their income was actually $80k although I think I allowed for the possibility that it was more than $25k the way I worded the article.

The real point is figuring out how to be happy and then trying to get there while still remembering that life is about the journey not the destination.
    Jan 30, 2014. 09:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 4% Rule Is More Complicated Than You Think [View article]
    It just seems wrong to draw down the aftertax account and let the IRA compound.

similar to getting ten economists in a room and getting eleven opinions, everyone has their own ideas on this stuff.
    Jan 10, 2014. 08:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 4% Rule Is More Complicated Than You Think [View article]
    This is good stuff. The idea of means testing noted above and being 'penalized' for being responsible loom as real possibilities.

I've been saying for years that one way or another I don't expect to actually receive my SS (either not at all or meaningfully reduced) and we are merely comfortable meeting no reasonable definition of being rich.
    Jan 7, 2014. 10:17 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Roger Nusbaum Positions For 2014: Starting To Take Defensive Action [View article]
    Pinot44,

if you use diversifiers in your portfolio and they were all up a lot last year then they may not be diversifiers.
    Jan 6, 2014. 11:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    The attributes of gold (good and bad) are what they are. It sounds like you've sized it up and decided 'not for you.'

This is no different from anything really, for me, the positives outweigh the negatives when modestly sized in the portfolio.
    Jan 5, 2014. 07:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Buffett advises you buy index funds not that you invest like he does.
    Jan 5, 2014. 07:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jan 5, 2014. 02:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Doesn't The Dividend Growth ETF Grow Its Dividends? [View article]
    This is a very interesting comment. It seems as though many SA readers/participants love to make their portfolios a huge part of their lives; studying, learning and so on.

Probably a blog post in this idea. Thank you.
    Jan 3, 2014. 08:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Doesn't The Dividend Growth ETF Grow Its Dividends? [View article]
    Thank you for the kind word.

Not sure that a dividend ETF should be expected to keep up with a massive rally. The funds might be terrific or lousy but I would say that should not based on just part of the cycle (the up part).
    Dec 16, 2013. 08:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Doesn't The Dividend Growth ETF Grow Its Dividends? [View article]
    Redemptions could serve to increase the dividend although that is not much of a reason to hold a fund.

I think constituency is the bigger driver here.
    Dec 16, 2013. 02:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The WSJ Says Invest Your Emergency Cash, What?!? [View article]
    I'm not sure which Eric this is--L or C? Please message me, here, would love to catch up!
    Dec 6, 2013. 08:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Allowing For The Possibility Of Risk [View article]
    Lots of comments.

To one of the threads, this is not a sky is falling so you should hire me post. I have never had that kind of post. I have said repeatedly over the years that as fortunate as I am to have a lot of readers, there is no way our firm could accommodate an influx of a couple thousand people. I've been blogging for more than nine years because it is an enjoyable pursuit but it has never been financially enriching. If anyone gets some utility from my posts that is great and that is why I write.

One other thread is that I take exception to being challenged, that is not the case. We should all seek out opinions that challenge our own. A portfolio of stocks that all have similar attributes takes on a risk of not being well diversified, that is it. The pushback says there is very little allowance among the group for that possibility to ever be a problem. It may never be a problem for you or it might, no way to know and that is the point.

A couple of times I've received messages about these articles just being an attempt to ramp up page views to shake the money tree. Seeking Alpha only pays on unique content and none of my posts are unique to Seeking Alpha they are syndicated from my blog so I make no money from my relationship with SA which goes back to 2005. I wish they would pay me for my content but they don't.
    Nov 12, 2013. 05:52 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dude Who Came Up With 4% Rule Tells Barron's It Might Not Work [View article]
    I have been trying to make this point to your group for years and I have not been able to do so effectively.

I wrote the following last night http://bit.ly/17qlrBe

As an investor I am less concerned with the risk I can see coming versus the one I can't.
    Nov 11, 2013. 09:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment