Roger Nusbaum

View Roger Nusbaum's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Big Picture For The Week Of February 17, 2013 [View article]
    Anyone who participates in markets with individual stocks is going to get forced out of one every now and then.
    Feb 18 09:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoiding A Risky Dividend Stock Is Just As Important As Picking A Good One [View article]
    Thank you for letting me know.
    Feb 18 03:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    good point but if I remember correctly US West to Qwest was simply a name change like Bell Atlantic to Verizon.
    Feb 18 12:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bakken Makes 5.64% Dividend Payer Investors Real Estate Trust A Secular Growth Story [View article]
    Yahoo has "earnings" for TTM at $0.13 so that is probably where he's getting the number from.

To the person mentioning the payout ratio, REITs pay based on funds from operations known as FFO. Earnings as they are reported on a site like Yahoo aren't really the correct metric.
    Feb 10 04:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Charlie Sheen Portfolio (Winning) [View article]
    A reader asked a question and I answered it.
    Feb 5 01:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Charlie Sheen Portfolio (Winning) [View article]
    So that obviously would be a strategic overlay. We owned BAC and sold it a day or two after the MER takeover. We never owned Fannie so I can't say what a specific trigger would have been but I do recall in 2003 Freddie having serious questions raised about its accounting which might have been a catalyst to review Fannie.

I've written many posts over the years about sales made in client accounts including BAC. Other sales have come from negative fundamental changes (not deathblows), changes to the story, rebalancing position sizes that became too large, the story that I was buying then changing, wanting to reduce volatility in the portfolio, changes in spending patterns what would adversely affect a company and probably a few others.
    Feb 5 11:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Charlie Sheen Portfolio (Winning) [View article]
    GE, MCD, were well below $10 billion. Exxon was around $13 billion.

plug in any stocks you want, the point was in terms of "winning" defined as having enough (not beating the market) picking ten megacaps would likely yield a result where some would beat the market for 20 years, some would lag, one might go under and maybe one or two would do very well. Going forward for the next 20 years it is likely there would be a similar result meaning some beat, some lag, one goes under and one is a homerun. Collectively they might beat the market or not.

In 1993 I was answering the phone at Schwab talking to a few dozen investors everyday and MSFT and INTC were common to many people.
    Feb 4 06:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Charlie Sheen Portfolio (Winning) [View article]
    The purpose of this post was misconstrued by a few readers at my blog.

The idea here is not the names listed looking back but instead is that if you pick ten household megacap stocks and held them or 20 years, some would outperform some would lag and one or two would be out of business and the net result could be enough when combined with an adequate savings rate irrespective of beating or lagging the market.
    Feb 4 05:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ... But If I Had Been On [View article]
    you realize the post is an outline that I emailed to a producer for what would have been a four minute segment of which I might have had 60-70 seconds of speaking time.
    Jan 30 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ... But If I Had Been On [View article]
    One guy thinks I'm a dishonest shill and the other doesn't like term equity market--yeah, sometimes you have to push back.
    Jan 30 08:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ... But If I Had Been On [View article]
    Funny collection of comments, Yahoo did not pay me anything.
    Jan 28 04:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SPY Celebrates 20: A Look Back And Forward For ETFs [View article]
    you could plug the symbol into Morningstar and that information.
    Jan 20 06:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Narrow-Based Funds Can Help Investors Get Closer To An All-Stock Portfolio [View article]
    there are funds that justify their expense ratios and funds that don't. there are plenty of nominally expensive funds that do justify their cost. Not the majority, but there are plenty.
    Jan 14 10:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Note to the editor FNF is not the symbol for mutual fund company Fidelity. The mutual fund company is not publicly traded.
    Jan 13 09:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Last Day Of The Year: Examining Dividends [View article]
    2013 might be a better year, yes but I don't the the fiscal cliff played much of a role for the 2012 lag. The cliff was not a front burner issue at the start of the year but the lag of DVY started immediately in the new year (meaning 2012).
    Jan 1 12:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment