Roger Nusbaum

View Roger Nusbaum's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Considering DBV, But Urging Moderation [View article]
    I read exactly the same thing but was told on the phone shortly after listing, so before the report you cite, that it would hold dollars.
    Jul 5, 2007. 11:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement: Work X+1, Draw 5%/Year [View article]
    thank you, I'm only 41 and not considering retreiment but i bet it would be very useful for a lot of folks. thank you
    Jul 5, 2007. 11:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Central Bank Reallocations Will Affect the U.S. Economy [View article]
    lol, i'll try not to worry, in Merkel (spelling?) I'll trust?
    Jul 3, 2007. 01:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More On S&P Short ETF [View article]
    You write <em>(SH) traded ex-distribution, which causes the stock to move down in value. The reasoning is: Value flows to the shareholder in the form of the distribution.</em&g...

To be clear on ex-div date a stock is reduced by the amount of the dividend. This is a mechanical function not a reasoned function.

Further are you saying the fund behaves differently on its ex date? That one is lost on me.
    Jul 2, 2007. 09:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Housing Crisis: Symptom or Cause of Market Volatility? [View article]
    cutting in half on something of a widespread basis is probably a good definition.
    Jun 28, 2007. 09:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is There An ETF Bubble On the Horizon? [View article]
    I tend to think that an investor can justify owning any ETF for themselves, the bigger thing to me would be that person really understand how the fund works and how it fits in with everything else they own.
    Jun 27, 2007. 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Last Week's Interest Rate Based Selloff Was Overblown [View article]
    Guys if you look a littler closer I say <em>each</em&... making $3000-$4000 so $6000-$8000 for the household. Mr. Bond the example does not hold up for LA, SF, Boston etc but it work in a lot of other places.
    Jun 12, 2007. 10:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Last Week's Interest Rate Based Selloff Was Overblown [View article]
    And what is it worth now? Was this duplex a primary residence for that person?
    Jun 12, 2007. 11:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Last Week's Interest Rate Based Selloff Was Overblown [View article]
    Interesting perspective you take. Are you saying that the market for primary residences bought by people that are not over leveraged is in trouble?
    Jun 11, 2007. 09:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Warming Up To International Real Estate Funds [View article]
    I read the link you provided and I'm not sure he is saying that, I see the part about the hedge for the floating rate fund he favors, so <em>if</em>... that is what he means....

In general terms higher rates tend to create a challenge for emerging markets so that could create a problem for real estate companies from those markets.

I don't see the connection when talking about RE companies from say the UK, Norway, western Europe or Australia. An exception to the aussie exception might be Westfield which is the biggest company in the space. Despite being located in Australia something like 59% of its properties are located in the US. And in fact there is some history to say that when US rates go up Westfield goes down.

Maybe he's right?
    Jun 7, 2007. 11:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warming Up To International Real Estate Funds [View article]
    I didn't know there was an iShare equivalent in the hopper, thanks for the heads up on it.
    Jun 7, 2007. 10:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An In Depth Look at the New Covered Call ETFs [View article]
    Mr. Shaw,

Thank you for the update, I read it but was not able to leave a comment...not sure I have a login for your blog's platform.

For anyone new to this, BXM sells at the money calls. There is another CBOE index with ticker ^BXY that sells calls 2% out of the money.

Additionally these indices exist in other countries, like Australia and a couple of others. I am hopeful that BWV from Barclays works out in terms of tracking. BEP has had some wild swings with its discount/premium to NAV. It looks like it has a 14% premium now which I'll pass on.

Thank you again for your time.
    Jun 6, 2007. 09:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An In Depth Look at the New Covered Call ETFs [View article]
    Mr. Shaw I believe your use of the term ETF is a tad confusing especially as you correctly note that these funds are CEFs in your table at the end.

As far as new; MCN's inception date is 7/27/2004, LCM 1/26/2005, BEO 9/28/2005, DPD 4/26/2005, FFA 8/24/2004, BEP 3/31/2005. How much time before a fund is not <em>new</em&g...

I would add there are probably another 20-30 funds in this genre.

To really know what value the fund management is adding would you need to char the NAVs as opposed to the market price?

I apologize for being so picky but the article seems to miss the mark.
    Jun 6, 2007. 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Implications of the Ongoing Dollar Decline [View article]
    thanks for all the comments. China being integral really is <em>the</em&g... thing in that they could cause real problems. As it works directly against their interests I suspect they will not cause problems.

I would be surprised if pulling out of Iraq in any way shape or form would have a lasting impact on the dollar.
    Jun 1, 2007. 10:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Buy/Write ETN as a Substitute for SPY -- Less Volatility, But Where's the Growth? [View article]
    my allocation to the strategy is modest and more intended to to effect the entire portfolio.
    May 31, 2007. 10:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment