Roger Nusbaum

View Roger Nusbaum's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why It's Hard To Get Yield Just Using ETFs [View article]
    Exactly, that is what turned out to be the incorrect chart that i found when i first compared the two. I posted it as a warning of sorts that the Yahoo charts can appear to be incorrect. It was Brad comment I was referring to when I said someone noted a 96% correlation. Similar to Brad's follow up comment above a reader on my blog noted that changing the dates slightly might help with the problem Yahoo has.
    Apr 14, 2013. 01:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Beating The Market' Makes For An Incomplete Discussion [View article]
    "5% real (after inflation) return over any 5 years period regardless of what market is doing"

Depends on the five year period.
    Apr 14, 2013. 09:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks Are Not Bond Proxies [View article]
    first sentence would NOT be going far enough
    Apr 13, 2013. 07:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks Are Not Bond Proxies [View article]
    Married for 63 years? To say that is awesome would be going far enough.

You said you've owned Verizon since 1972 so obviously you had the original AT&T. What did you do with the other Baby Bell stocks? If you don't still own them then that implies some active decision making.

Any type of strategy *can* work for anyone. If you own no bonds and feel your strategy has been successful and met your needs (not second guessing, simply pointing out a question that people need to answer for themselves) then it has been right for you. Conversely there will be people who have been successful and met their needs using just bonds.

To the extent you wish to stay engaged with markets (if you are reading this site then you probably plan to continue to engage) then part of the work would be some sort of forward looking study to maintain a basis for expecting what you have done to continue to work.
    Apr 13, 2013. 07:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks Are Not Bond Proxies [View article]
    The beta is only going to be low while things are going well, like now.
    Apr 13, 2013. 07:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Analysis Of The CNBC.com ETF Portfolio [View article]
    I did not click on all of the related links to find out who was on the Counsel but it might be there somewhere if you are curios.
    Apr 12, 2013. 05:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Analysis Of The CNBC.com ETF Portfolio [View article]
    excellent detail
    Apr 12, 2013. 05:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Beating The Market' Makes For An Incomplete Discussion [View article]
    "conversely when the retirement fund is shrinking they believe the money managers are doing a lousy job. "

So there is an education issue here. An active manager (professional or otherwise) is not going to be up 20% in a down 20% world.
    Apr 12, 2013. 12:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Beating The Market' Makes For An Incomplete Discussion [View article]
    You say that there was no gain from 2000-2011. In that period VINEX and SPY were both negative. What sort of result would you expect from the equities you buy (funds or otherwise) when the market is down? The funds available to you may indeed have been terrible but it is not realistic to think you will be up 20% in a down 20% world.
    Apr 12, 2013. 10:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Counterfeit Rally? [View article]
    what role has 0% rates and debt monetization played in the doubling of earnings?
    Apr 10, 2013. 09:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Counterfeit Rally? [View article]
    I figured people reading the article would understand I meant treasuries.
    Apr 8, 2013. 10:46 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Action To Take In Your Portfolio In Today's Market [View article]
    For a couple of years before the bear market I said these are the things I am looking out for--they in in the third to last paragraph, but I forgot to include the 2% rule which is also something I have been writing about for a while.

I think the following link is the first real warning and you will note it is dated December 2007. http://bit.ly/nO0R5D

Further, the blog post which you have commented on describes much of what I was writing about in 2007 and 2008, not sure how you missed that entire thread (I take from your comment that you did not follow this thread).
    Apr 7, 2013. 05:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yields Are Low, Get Over It [View article]
    You saying five years with those numbers? That was before the full consequence of the crisis.
    Apr 4, 2013. 07:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Cypriot Possibilities [View article]
    I would think WFC far less than the others
    Mar 27, 2013. 09:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Too Soon To Look At Nordic American Tankers? [View article]
    "If NAT moves below 8 you will be assigned."

As I read it he is selling the $10 put and buying the $8. His risk appears to be the $2 spread (less the credit for putting the spread on) plus the outlay for the call option (which is paid for out of the proceeds).
    Mar 25, 2013. 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment