Roger Nusbaum

View Roger Nusbaum's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Barron's Recap [View article]
    This area has significant potential with the likelihood of stagnation in both the equity and bond markets lying ahead.

Would mostly agree with you that if equities continue higher many of these will probably not do well but that is the point (sort of), if these are supposed to provide diversification for equity exposure then they should not look like equities, they would hopefully do well when equities struggle.
    Apr 9, 2015. 09:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is A Lost Decade For Performance Coming? [View article]
    I don't disagree that the US market is not cheap but the predictive value of PE ratios hasn't been so good in the past. I also believe in the in the younger population idea as it creates demand, this certainly mattered during the last decade and I think will matter again but not sure when.

It seems plausible to me that all markets and normal inter-market dynamics are distorted for now due to global CB policies.
    Apr 2, 2015. 11:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is A Lost Decade For Performance Coming? [View article]
    How significant do you think a decade or more where rates trend up could be?

I think it would be hugely significant as there has not been a stretch of rising rates that long in too many people's investing lifetime. It is hard to see rates going up for that long if for no other reason than the economic cycle is usually shorter than that and the Fed will lower rates at the next slowdown (unless they are still at zero).

Higher rates is less of a concern than the path to higher rates.
    Apr 2, 2015. 11:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Active Passive Debate Evolves By Necessity [View article]
    Cullen, thanks for reading the post, hope all is well.
    Mar 25, 2015. 09:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Active Passive Debate Evolves By Necessity [View article]
    Mar 25, 2015. 09:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hedge Funds On The Comeback? [View article]
    thanks, the link contained in the article talks about fees coming down and obviously ETPs are much cheaper than 2 and 20
    Feb 27, 2015. 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Benefits Of Proper Risk Budgeting [View article]
    what you're really describing is suitable asset allocation. Your six months cash might be someone else's three months or 12 months but it is a crucial point and part of any financial plan.
    Jan 29, 2015. 03:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Can The Bond Bull Keep Going? [View article]
    "Yields have a long way down to go"

That would be a fascinating development if you turn out to be correct. I guess I disagree but clearly all outcomes are on the table
    Jan 7, 2015. 08:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLPs Weren't Supposed To Decline [View article]
    LINE has been a lightning rod, relatively high profile and high vol holding, it first popped on my radar a couple of years ago after a Barron's article torched it. Where my job involves stewarding other people's money I try to avoid names like this. I think the risks from the standpoint of a professional are unnecessary and for a do-it-yourselfer i would say to really look in the mirror about how much risk/vol you need to take on. Where income vehicles are concerned I would much rather field complaints about how boring they are.
    Jan 3, 2015. 04:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Holiday Randoms [View article]
    "... not name it?"

Compliance reasons.
    Dec 30, 2014. 02:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jorge Posada's (Financial) Slump [View article]
    Active management is many more things than just buying actively managed funds.
    Dec 23, 2014. 02:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Experts Weigh In On Solving Retirement [View article]
    glad to know 'things are good,' but how close where you on the retirement-expense box? I write a lot about fixed expenses and unexpected expenses like new tires, large vet bill and so on. Any other sort of surprises from your experience?
    Nov 28, 2014. 04:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Overcoming Financial Pessimism [View article]
    I've blogged many times that I expect to get means tested down to little or no Social Security benefit and that I meet no reasonable definition of being rich.

As far as forgetting people have been retired, it seems like you didn't read the post. Specifically"...which is where monetizing a hobby comes in. For anyone new, this refers to putting in serious time to excel at something you enjoy while figuring out how it might be able to provide a supplementary income. This relieves some of the burden off of the portfolio, avoids being forced to find whatever you can just to make ends meet, and also keeps you engaged."

I've been laid off before (Sept 2001) although I was not retirement age. I saw the layoff coming about a year and a half ahead of time and I prepared for it. Not everyone may see a lay off coming but most people can prepare for such an outcome one way or another as opposed to "simply sit back and just take what is foisted upon them" which is another quote from this post.
    Sep 13, 2014. 06:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Allocation Or Stock Selection - An Example [View instapost]
    This is interesting. I did not read Chuck's article but it would be interesting to know the risk adjusted stats of all of this. If for example Chuck's all-equity portfolio had better (or worse) stats versus the combos you list in your table, that would be worth knowing...if such a thing even is of interest to you.
    Sep 7, 2014. 09:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • So It Turned Out 80% In Precious Metals Was A Bad Idea [View article]
    there is no longer enough gold to back one of the larger currencies.
    Sep 6, 2014. 08:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment