Ron Myers

View Ron Myers' Comments BY TICKER:
  • El Pollo Loco: PE 'Bust-Out', 20+ Years Of Failed Domestic Expansion, Pre-IPO Window Dressing Make An Ideal Short [View article]
    I read and enjoyed the entire article and wish there was more quality content like this on SA.
    Aug 21 05:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JPMorgan, BofA to hike salaries of junior bankers [View news story]
    This is actually very shareholder friendly. The strategy is to have fewer senior staff and more junior staff at slightly higher pay. The cuts to senior staff have already been made. Comp will be flat overall.

In addition, these days the top top talent with engineering/math skills (which are who most banks really want to hire) tend to be more attracted to tech and data analytics work, which often pays better, particularly on an hourly basis. And while the overall job market is mediocre, the job market for these folks is not. In fact it is blazing hot right now.
    Aug 21 09:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple begins Beats restructuring [View news story]
    Why would they get rid of the brand? Does anyone think apple the company could not have made better headphones without buying them? The brand was the entire point.
    Jul 31 07:52 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mobile messaging giant Line reportedly files for U.S. IPO [View news story]
    The app is awesome, stock will probably be several hundred percent overvalued but who knows.
    Jul 18 08:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: The Female Health Company Strategy Decision [View article]
    I will have to take another look at this one, my gut tells me there is probably some value at these levels but I haven't followed the stock for several months. The dividend cut should have taken place a while ago as the company could have put the cash to better uses elsewhere, but as for what happened to the stock, wow. I guess there really were that many people buying on yield alone.

Personally I would rather wait and hear what management is planning to do and research current market developments before taking a position as there is usually more to a move like this than what meets the eye.
    Jul 15 07:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ilumina closes big U.K. sequencing deal [View news story]
    "One of the project's goals is to kickstart the development of a U.K. genomics industry and introduce the technology into its mainstream health system."

While here in the US the same work from the project will be used by healthcare insurers to raise premiums on those expected to develop a rare disease.
    Jul 13 01:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hooper Holmes: Pruning Of Underperforming Businesses Uncovers A High-Growth Business Ready To Break Out [View article]
    I have been following this one for a couple of years but never liked what I saw. If I were to buy it certainly would be now. They have made some nice moves thus far and did what they had to do with Portamedic.

A couple years ago when there was more easy value out there in other micro cap stocks I might have waited another earnings call or two knowing I could still get in cheap but it might be better to just roll the dice on this one now.
    Jun 25 01:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MobileIron, Good get set for IPOs amid competition from BlackBerry, VMware [View news story]
    The irony of all this was that enterprises only moved to Good and some of these others because employees demanded to be able to use e-mail on iphones, which were demanded because blackberries sucked. If blackberry had offered an iphone solution two years ago, or offered a phone four years ago that was anywhere near as good as an iphone, they would still be an untouched market leader in this area, as Good is bad.
    Jun 1 12:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Report: Apple cuts Beats price to $3B, expected to announce this week [View news story]
    If revs were really 1.3 B this was a great deal for Apple, wow.
    May 28 01:33 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Japan's Two-Decade Deflationary Spiral Is About To End [View article]
    I hear a new Sailor Moon show is supposedly coming out this summer, that should be enough to offset the trade imbalance by at least .3% of GDP.
    Apr 28 12:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Emmis Communications: 5 Different Insiders Have Sold Shares This Month [View article]
    Totally agree I am looking to sell shares for the same reasons you and the insiders have (sadly I do not own 1% of the company)...still love the stock but have to lighten up a little after the big gains. And it is still a volatile stock with considerable risks despite the upside.
    Apr 21 12:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why a stock market correction should be welcome... or not [View news story]
    "A correction should be welcome"...you have got to be kidding me why would losing close to one year's returns be welcome to anyone? And now fixed income is even less attractive as well. Welcome would be for monetary policy to be somewhere near historical norms, so that investors could choose investments based on their risk tolerance, rather than being forced into stocks/high yield by the Fed because everything else returns 0.
    Jan 25 12:24 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • J. C. Penney: Free Cash Flow And Liquidity Scenarios For 2014 [View article]
    I think flat revenues in the bear case is way too optimistic...they are closing stores and the trend has been consistently down. Not saying that I have a view which way revenues are going to go (I don't) but it seems like such a scenario should be considered.
    Jan 17 12:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2013 Year In Review [View article]
    For the haters here, it took me 30 seconds to find his post titled 2013 Outlook: Stock Bulls May Have Room To Run, Bond Vigilantes Lurk. And the stock market bubble articles pretty much all predicted the runup to continue as well, they were more around the distortion fed policy would have on the overall economy. The biggest miss was probably on LINE but sometimes the single stock stories take time to work out.

I had a nice year positioned much like the suggestions in the 2013 outlook, except for emerging markets which were terrible. So I guess the proof is in the account balances for me which is all I really care about in the end. Looking forward to the 2014 outlook.
    Dec 31 11:59 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's has a Japan problem [View news story]
    This is the future of Japan. They had to make a number of price increases due to the weakening of the Yen. What hasn't increased is wages of their customers meaning McD's is no longer an insanely cheap option like it once was over there. And oh by the way, consumption tax increase next year.

Shorting any Japanese company with even modest domestic exposure is probably the way to go. I give them three years for it to blow up.
    Dec 19 09:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment