Ron Myers

View Ron Myers' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Destroy The Investment Management Industry With Hedged Convexity Capture [View article]
    Isn't the cost to borrow these shares really high?
    Sep 6 09:26 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing In Graphene: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly [View article]
    This is a nice introduction to graphene. I worked on the material for a couple years back in my physics career but haven't followed it much since then. I guess not much has really changed in a few years unless you are missing a bunch of really recent papers. The challenge with the material is finding a way to open up a bandgap so you can make a transistor out of it. People still seem to be trying everything.

I'm pretty sure INTC is heavily into graphene but they aren't talking about it as much. Unfortunately I don't think there's an obvious pure play investment on the material and it probably wouldn't be great if it existed.
    Aug 29 03:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China says banking system liquidity in the country "remains ample" and notes that June M2 growth of 14% is close to "the full-year target of 13%." In an effort to allay concerns about a cash crunch, the PBOC said Sunday it will "use a mix of price and quantitative policy tools to adjust liquidity in the banking system" in order to ensure prudent "growth in money, credit and social financing." [View news story]
    China should just modify their inflation statistics by excluding everything going up in price more than the target rate. Then they could print infinite money like everyone else and not have these silly problems like competition for funds.
    Jul 14 05:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Campus Crest: The Best Investment Among Student Housing REITs [View article]
    Really enjoyed the article this is a really interesting sector of REIT. Personally I think before I'd invest I'd want to really do DD in the markets and schools each of those properties is in - and I understand why you wouldn't want to do that in a SA article, that's just my view. If I were calling the market we might be at a top or close for student enrollment (and at the least enrollment growth) for the near future and I don't know if that has ever happened. This is just based on changing views/awarness on student loans, possible rising rates, general increased awareness about the lower value prop of college, etc. These seem like your fairly typical state schools which are not the value they once were but still should hold up pretty well in that type of scenario compared to lesser schools but again, would want to do more DD and I haven't spent a ton of time here.

Just taking a stab since I sort of know the market, Penn State had major housing shortages for several years which led to a ton of building of extra capacity, usually in the form of The Grove-style units in pretty mediocre locations far from campus. This property is definitely nice as housing goes in State College and seems priced competitively but would not be a first choice location at all (you are 100% reliant on buses to go to school and the location is otherwise terrible with not much nearby) and I have to think it would sell off in a flat or falling enrollment scenario. Again, could be way off here, and the valuation might still cover this type of concern, more of a theory.
    Jul 12 09:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Tesla Won't Be Able To Profitably Build A BMW 3-Series Competitor [View article]
    One of the things I'd like to see are company estimates around unit levels and other cost / manufacturing improvements it would take to get to various price points. I don't think the situation is anywhere as bearish as this article.

My view on the stock is still that it's a sell and probably an outright short but not because they will never get the price down or sell more cars as I see many years of robust growth and margin expansion. I just think the current valuation bakes in absolutely no competition when in reality better-funded competitors who could produce similar products already exist.
    Jul 12 08:58 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Xinyuan Real Estate: Trading At 36% Of Book Value [View article]
    Really enjoyed the article. Disagree with some of the points which I think some other commenters above posted on, but honestly not a big deal as either side is reasonable.

Long XIN since last year but based mostly on the idea that it's either a $15 company or worth 0 and I think $15 is a favorite. I went through the filings, the calls a few public sites on their RE portfolio, and mostly liked what I saw. I will leave the China bubble argument to experts on that country and macro issues as I don't speak Chinese and have no time to follow everything there. But just from a sentiment standpoint I think it's a little too obvious/consensus among everyone to be the next "asymmetric trade" or anything like that meaning some middle ground of slower growth and flat housing prices is more likely.
    Jul 11 11:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Female Health Company: A Great Story For Women, But Not For Investors [View article]
    Yeah I agree...although a couple of the competitors are already relatively large manufacturers and I think they could scale up quickly, distribution and sales will take longer. But even the knowledge these are in the pipeline should push margins down (which I think is great, not because I want to see any company fail, but because it allows more people to have access to the product).
    Jul 11 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rick's Cabaret Is A Cheap 'Sin' Stock Worth More Than Double [View article]
    Outstanding article. As cheap as the stock is it will probably always trade cheap for the reasons you laid out.

Still when I look at the financials all I see is growth, strong free cash flow, and improving operating leverage. The interest expense is extremely manageable. The company isn't even covering 20% of the US so there is plenty of room for further growth. They are probably the largest operator of these things anywhere so they likely have scale advantages as well. Reading the reviews of the actual operation, most are fairly highly rated and sound professionally managed. I guess I don't see what's not to like here as this is not a business that is ever going away. If this company sold fake organic burritos it would trade at $40 a share.
    Jul 2 01:09 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Coming Rebound In Commodities, Coal, And Coal Stocks [View article]
    Absolutely agree 100% and am positioned accordingly. Hope to see more articles from you in the future.
    Jul 1 05:03 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The World Bank plans to restrict its financing of coal-fired power plants (KOL) to "rare circumstances," according to a draft strategy that reflects the U.S.-led lender’s increased focus on climate change. “To the extent that you’re preventing the world from using coal, you’re preventing the U.S. from creating jobs to mine it and export it," the National Mining Association responds. [View news story]
    If the reason Obuster is coming down so hard on coal is so that we can somehow stop EMs from getting the benefits of coal-fueled economic growth, allowing us to stay in the lead for a few more years, that would at least make some strategic sense except that I don't think there's any way it will work.
    Jun 27 09:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Emcor Group: Strategic Acquisition Has Potential To Send Shares To Fresh All-Time Highs [View article]
    EME really has a great history with deals like these. Very good allocators of capital for shareholders.
    Jun 26 12:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Biozoom: Current Shareholders Likely Victims Of An Illegal Stock Promotion Scam [View article]
    One thing to note, most of the scams position themselves around real technology (for example the product discussed here) and/or industries which truly do have strong growth prospects. It's just that the company being promoted has no actual business related to the industry with the growth prospects. Recent examples include the marijuana stocks and LEXG, obviously there are hundreds of others.
    Jun 24 05:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks all for the positive comments - once again I don't hate the stock in the near term but recommend investors keep a close eye on margin numbers and competitive developments.
    Jun 24 05:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pres. Obama will lay out his administration's strategy on tackling climate change in a speech tomorrow, which may include measures to limit greenhouse gas emissions from existing power plants. It is unclear if Obama will make any reference to the proposed Keystone XL pipeline (TRP -2.6%). Coal names plunge (KOL -4.5%): WLT -13.2%, JRCC -12.4%, ACI -8.4%, ANR -8.2%, BTU -8%, CLF -8%, CNX -8%, OXF -7%[View news story]
    I wonder if Obuster will also roll out his jobs strategy tomorrow - to remove every competitive advantage the US has or will ever have and eliminate all private sector jobs, such that the country has 75% UE with the other 25% working for the government.
    Jun 24 12:06 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great article and always unfortunate to see the retail investor get hit with campaigns like this one.
    Jun 24 09:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment