Ron Myers

View Ron Myers' Comments BY TICKER:
  • National Beverage Is Priced To Deliver Excellent Shareholder Returns [View article]
    La Croix is like the greatest drink ever and it's still very hard to find it so there's plenty of growth potential. I only wish I had bought the stock three years ago when I first discovered this beverage!
    Jan 12 08:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Female Health Company: Play And Keep It Safe [View article]
    I just recently went long this stock. 200 MM market cap with 100MM in NOLs according to management although they might not realize all of the US NOLs, the UK NOLs are good forever. So say they realize half the US NOLs, you are getting this business for 110-130 MM or around 10x operating income. This is with revenues growing around 20% a year and a new pilot coming up with the Gates foundation.

The only thing I don't like is the reliance on a few key non-profits for almost all of their revenue. But as you note the non profits are well funded and the product has proven successful for these programs. In addition they have not explored the retail potential of this product at all which I feel is disappointing but does leave room for growth. The reviews I have read suggest the experience is actually better than that of the male version.
    Jan 10 08:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget Herbalife; Blyth Is The Real MLM Steal [View article]
    Really enjoyed the article, thanks. Not sure if I want to go long the stock being already long HLF but will take a look.
    Jan 9 08:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Sony Hand Over Fist [View article]
    I would be careful. Short yen is becoming a very crowded trade. The fundamentals are that Japan has to keep bond yields down. It will not be easy to do that and have a weak yen and higher inflation at the same time.

Personally I think the LDP will back down from the inflationary rhetoric once they win the upper house election. This has all been a ruse to pump up stocks and build approval ratings.
    Jan 4 09:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tuesday's economic calendar:
    U.S. Markets Closed.
    Merry Christmas! [View news story]
    Thank god for Asian markets otherwise I would have to survive a weekday with no stock action.
    Dec 25 09:03 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Monday's economic calendar:
    No events scheduled. [View news story]
    Abe is a true madman. Can't believe how little play this is getting, more significant than the fiscal cliff IMO.
    Dec 24 06:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Trillion Dollar Coin Idea: Beyond Stupid [View article]
    I love the article, the comparison to Hitler Germany is basically spot on, and hopefully most people already were thinking the same way you were on this.

The only issue I might raise is that while QE is certainly distinct from the trillion dollar coin, to me it is still highly questionable for many of the same reasons the trillion dollar coin is so absurd. While the reasoning may be monetary stimulus and not monetization, and technically QE may even fit into their mandate, whatever the reasons, right now the fact is that the Fed is monetizing the debt. And that does not fit into sound money or their mandate.
    Dec 10 12:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • As billions flow from actively managed stock funds into index funds and ETFs, investors seem to be buying the idea that they can't necessarily identify tomorrow's top money managers. So why is bond-fund money (of all investments) going into actively managed funds? Jason Zweig warns about overvaluing results that might be due to luck - and to focus on managers' processes. [View news story]
    Two reasons why this happens.

1 - Most people know next to nothing about stocks to be sure, but they don't even THINK they understand bonds. So they know they'd like to have bonds because they are "safe" but they don't know what to buy. And the ETFs have not done a great job of advertising.

2 - All the bond funds tend to beat their benchmark since it has been easy to do for almost the entire history of bonds (since we had benchmarks at least). Interest rates have almost always gone down so just up the duration and you beat the index. Heck you can "hedge" with junk bonds if need be.
    Dec 8 11:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gravity Is A Cheap Net-Net Strategy Again [View article]
    GungHo owns like 60% of this...couldn't they basically pay themselves the cash as a dividend or buy out the full stake at a bargain price? I admit I understand nothing about shareholder rights for US-listed Korean stocks, just trying to figure out why this stock has traded under cash for basically the last five years at least. I have been long this stock in the past and sold at a nice gain but this has kept me from getting back in.
    Dec 7 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why do investors continue to pour money into EWJ and expose themselves to currency risk when the DBJP offers the same Japanese stock exposure, but hedged against the yen? Another of Dennis Hudachek's 10 Overlooked ETFs is the INDA, tracking the same Indian index as the INP, but with lower expenses. And don't forget IAU, basically the same exposure as GLD, but at 15 bps cheaper per year. [View news story]
    Stocks can go down as well as up and when that happens it is not so bad to have the built-in long yen position. The hedge is not free also, I assume it would drain slightly from NAV in a flat market. I would rather buy EWJ which is more liquid and hedge yen exposure myself.
    Dec 7 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mitcham Industries (MIND): Q3 EPS of -$0.10 misses by $0.29. Revenue of $18.6M (-33.6% Y/Y) misses by $6M. (PR[View news story]
    Ugh
    Dec 4 08:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coal Stocks Look Ready To Run [View article]
    Super long BTU for all the reasons you list here. Thanks for the great article.
    Nov 29 06:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Case For The Rebound Is Still Intact [View article]
    The housing data was incredibly bullish. Housing and the Fed can prop up this market. They will kick the can on the fiscal cliff which is probably best for the markets. Fundamentals are not strong but nobody cares anymore. No view on AAPL, don't own it and if AAPL is weak there will be demand for other products instead which will show up elsewhere. Overall neutral.
    Nov 21 03:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hewlett-Packard: After The Autonomy Debacle, Is There Value Left In The Stock? [View article]
    This would be a snap buy for me if I believed management at all. Still strong cash flow and a ton of assets, written down or not, for what you would be paying. But there's no reason to believe the management of this company.

In any case sentiment is so low that there will almost certainly be a better opportunity to get into this stock when it is a little more evident they are turning things around, if they turn things around.
    Nov 21 03:47 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Asness: Shiller P/E Is Signaling Risk Of Another Lost Decade For U.S. Stocks [View article]
    0.9% real return? That crushes bonds right now!
    Nov 21 03:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment