Ron Reed

View Ron Reed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Easy money keeps oil drillers drilling [View news story]
    <Lower oil is good for the struggling lower classes... Higher classes & sheiks may want to profits off of the barrels but most people stand to benefit from lower oil>

Cash - Read Bastiat your theory is flawed....
    Jun 1, 2015. 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SandRidge ratings cut by S&P following debt-share exchange [View news story]
    As a holder of a big (for me) chunk of the SD debt instrument, I see this a time to acquire more. The big scare is that oil does not recover and that they run out of cash early to mid 2016. If oil stays depressed there will be so much more I am worried about that the loss of my investment I hold now will seem paltry in comparison (I live in an oil State).

SD is actually a very well run company, the calls for an activist are just a knee jerk reaction to the depressed stock price, and immature in my opinion.

All the E&P companies are having a rough go of it right now, SD just happens to be the harder hit of the big boys. Based on the slow rate of increase of oil, I suspect this will be more a point that folks are kicking themselves about not buying. The preferreds are WAY under par with SDRXP @ 30.80 and SDRXN @ 27.00. Grab what you can now, or at least have a chunk set aside to grab when you think they are back on the uptick, I cannot assume if we at bottom now any better than anyone else.
    May 15, 2015. 02:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SandRidge ratings cut by S&P following debt-share exchange [View news story]
    May 15, 2015. 09:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Did U.S. shale blink first? [View news story]

The simple view would be to account the sub's that O&G get and the monetary production that follows and compare the same to alt. energy.

In that sense O&G win BIG Time.

However, the sub's they get are reduced tax by the States mainly not the Fed. Either way, yes I agree they should be getting any sub's nor should all the other industries that do so. They are many and most ridiculous but that is another whole article.
    May 14, 2015. 06:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Did U.S. shale blink first? [View news story]
    While Alt. Energy is getting better, it is no where near as cost effective as fossil fuels. Wind power is growing, but still more expensive than coal and nat. gas. Solar panels, ha, ha, ha. In few places they work fine and can pay for themselves, here and all over the mid-west, we get lots of sun but lots of hail too, they simply cannot stand up to it. Heck a 30yr roof only lasts 10 years here...

No, I don't think we'll see alt. energy come to fruition in a big way for a very long time.
    May 14, 2015. 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • El Nino forecast looms over coffee market [View news story]
    Naa, stock analyst are wrong more often and still stay in business.
    May 14, 2015. 11:56 AM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Did U.S. shale blink first? [View news story]
    Well said CalMike. There is also the idea that they have such a tremendous reserve and that is the primary funding source, if oil prices remain high and alternative sources are plentiful enough to lower its price to compete with cheap oil, then they (OPEC and others) will be left with a worthless commodity.

Not really worthless as we will always need oil for many things, but if alternative power sources become entrenched then the need for large volume of oil will be significantly reduced. It make no difference if the entrenchment comes as a result of price or by political push/taxation. I do believe we are at a crest point with alternative energy; being well funded by both private and public sector (along with the Nat. gas push), the Saudi's may be feeling that the writing is on the wall.

Lots of speculation, hard to really get good numbers, but all of great interest to anyone who invests in anything, many seem to think that the energy market does not affect them, those folks are wrong and will end up paying for that mistake. As a good friend once told me "...That is a good piece of experience you just bought..."
    May 14, 2015. 09:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 500K the talk in electric vehicle industry [View news story]
    Yep, ICE are all on the way out. Those Tesla Trucks are rolling all over the US now and the Daimler trains are simply making the diesel engines obsolete. Oh, maybe you just meant passenger vehicles, gosh I guess all those makers better get in line since they are all headed for the trash. Tell you what, you keep your hyperbole and I'll keep mine. ICE engines are here long after our kids have turned to dust.

I think that while GM may make a half-hearted attempt at an electric car, they need to go back to the board and re-design, the idea that they can charge anything close to the price of a Tesla is ludicrous at best considering they have only about 1/3 the quality. And no re-sale value. Tesla on the other hand build a quality product and has complete re-sale + value. Good luck to Ford in their attempts as well, but again they are going to have to do some very, very hard work to even get close.
    May 8, 2015. 11:13 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude futures react on inventory draw [View news story]
    The bulk of US production is LLS/LS (light-light sweet) and WTI (west Texas intermediate) in the 35-40 gravity range and less and 1/2 ppm H2S. Most of what we import is indeed more sour than what is produced here in the US, same relative gravity range 30-40, but closer to the 2PPM range. Not heavy, but yes more sour. I have a good map in my office but I cannot find an online version from the API that I can post.

Sorry if my comments were taken otherwise, I guess I did not really explain myself well at all.
    May 6, 2015. 04:28 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude futures react on inventory draw [View news story]
    Yes, there is a perfect reason we import, all oil is not the same. You need to understand that oil has many grades and refineries cannot just switch over to process one grade and then switch to the next. The oil produced in the US from the shale formations is a lower grade than what we import.

As to your other comment, I don't think you understand the commodities market enough to even begin to back that up.
    May 6, 2015. 12:33 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude futures react on inventory draw [View news story]
    Oh no. Not at all. Really long actually. I've taken the slump in oil prices to increase my share. Being in OK we feel the downturn very badly, lots of lost jobs and lost rev. The current uptick is great and I hope it goes higher. I just find it funny that EIA never gets the numbers correct.
    May 6, 2015. 10:59 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude futures react on inventory draw [View news story]
    The fools at EIA are just that. The really funny thing is we all read them every time even though we know they are just BS numbers that never jive with the real situation. So who is the bigger fool, them for being wrong or us for actually reading them knowing they are wrong?
    May 6, 2015. 10:53 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America And A 6.1% Yield? Yes, Please [View article]
    Exactly! Which is why most bonds trade at a slight premium to par!

You said "Why would anyone buy a pfd over par ? STUPID !!!!!!"

You buy bonds that are over par for the same reason you buy preferred over par; to collect the div. and forget them. The likelihood of a missed div. and call are both low and the security is great.
    May 4, 2015. 07:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Net Metering Leaves Tesla Home Battery Storing A Lot Of Hype [View article]
    That is the point really. For 3500.00 you can buy a vary large generator, have it installed, tested monthly, and maintained for a long time. And after 10 years, it's still going to be operating like a dream.
    May 1, 2015. 02:24 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Net Metering Leaves Tesla Home Battery Storing A Lot Of Hype [View article]
    I'm pretty sure for 3500.00 I can get a VERY nice generator. In fact, I suspect that over 10 years I could generate much more power and pay my own pocket much more that what I could get from a Batt. Pack from TSLA.

If the environment is your concern, man go for it, but I agree this is, at its current price, and anticipated life, a loss of money.

BTW, for those that do have grave concerns for the environment, have you spent any time looking into the mining operations to support the REM required for this trend? I'd much rather have an oil or gas well on my land than a mine. But then, this is all for the good of the environment right?
    May 1, 2015. 02:18 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment