Ron Reed

View Ron Reed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • El Nino forecast looms over coffee market [View news story]
    Naa, stock analyst are wrong more often and still stay in business.
    May 14, 2015. 11:56 AM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Did U.S. shale blink first? [View news story]
    Well said CalMike. There is also the idea that they have such a tremendous reserve and that is the primary funding source, if oil prices remain high and alternative sources are plentiful enough to lower its price to compete with cheap oil, then they (OPEC and others) will be left with a worthless commodity.

Not really worthless as we will always need oil for many things, but if alternative power sources become entrenched then the need for large volume of oil will be significantly reduced. It make no difference if the entrenchment comes as a result of price or by political push/taxation. I do believe we are at a crest point with alternative energy; being well funded by both private and public sector (along with the Nat. gas push), the Saudi's may be feeling that the writing is on the wall.

Lots of speculation, hard to really get good numbers, but all of great interest to anyone who invests in anything, many seem to think that the energy market does not affect them, those folks are wrong and will end up paying for that mistake. As a good friend once told me "...That is a good piece of experience you just bought..."
    May 14, 2015. 09:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 500K the talk in electric vehicle industry [View news story]
    Yep, ICE are all on the way out. Those Tesla Trucks are rolling all over the US now and the Daimler trains are simply making the diesel engines obsolete. Oh, maybe you just meant passenger vehicles, gosh I guess all those makers better get in line since they are all headed for the trash. Tell you what, you keep your hyperbole and I'll keep mine. ICE engines are here long after our kids have turned to dust.

I think that while GM may make a half-hearted attempt at an electric car, they need to go back to the board and re-design, the idea that they can charge anything close to the price of a Tesla is ludicrous at best considering they have only about 1/3 the quality. And no re-sale value. Tesla on the other hand build a quality product and has complete re-sale + value. Good luck to Ford in their attempts as well, but again they are going to have to do some very, very hard work to even get close.
    May 8, 2015. 11:13 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude futures react on inventory draw [View news story]
    The bulk of US production is LLS/LS (light-light sweet) and WTI (west Texas intermediate) in the 35-40 gravity range and less and 1/2 ppm H2S. Most of what we import is indeed more sour than what is produced here in the US, same relative gravity range 30-40, but closer to the 2PPM range. Not heavy, but yes more sour. I have a good map in my office but I cannot find an online version from the API that I can post.

Sorry if my comments were taken otherwise, I guess I did not really explain myself well at all.
    May 6, 2015. 04:28 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude futures react on inventory draw [View news story]
    Yes, there is a perfect reason we import, all oil is not the same. You need to understand that oil has many grades and refineries cannot just switch over to process one grade and then switch to the next. The oil produced in the US from the shale formations is a lower grade than what we import.

As to your other comment, I don't think you understand the commodities market enough to even begin to back that up.
    May 6, 2015. 12:33 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude futures react on inventory draw [View news story]
    Oh no. Not at all. Really long actually. I've taken the slump in oil prices to increase my share. Being in OK we feel the downturn very badly, lots of lost jobs and lost rev. The current uptick is great and I hope it goes higher. I just find it funny that EIA never gets the numbers correct.
    May 6, 2015. 10:59 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude futures react on inventory draw [View news story]
    The fools at EIA are just that. The really funny thing is we all read them every time even though we know they are just BS numbers that never jive with the real situation. So who is the bigger fool, them for being wrong or us for actually reading them knowing they are wrong?
    May 6, 2015. 10:53 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America And A 6.1% Yield? Yes, Please [View article]
    Exactly! Which is why most bonds trade at a slight premium to par!

You said "Why would anyone buy a pfd over par ? STUPID !!!!!!"

You buy bonds that are over par for the same reason you buy preferred over par; to collect the div. and forget them. The likelihood of a missed div. and call are both low and the security is great.
    May 4, 2015. 07:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Net Metering Leaves Tesla Home Battery Storing A Lot Of Hype [View article]
    That is the point really. For 3500.00 you can buy a vary large generator, have it installed, tested monthly, and maintained for a long time. And after 10 years, it's still going to be operating like a dream.
    May 1, 2015. 02:24 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Net Metering Leaves Tesla Home Battery Storing A Lot Of Hype [View article]
    I'm pretty sure for 3500.00 I can get a VERY nice generator. In fact, I suspect that over 10 years I could generate much more power and pay my own pocket much more that what I could get from a Batt. Pack from TSLA.

If the environment is your concern, man go for it, but I agree this is, at its current price, and anticipated life, a loss of money.

BTW, for those that do have grave concerns for the environment, have you spent any time looking into the mining operations to support the REM required for this trend? I'd much rather have an oil or gas well on my land than a mine. But then, this is all for the good of the environment right?
    May 1, 2015. 02:18 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America And A 6.1% Yield? Yes, Please [View article]
    You don't if you are a speculator you mean :)
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Saudi oil rig counts hit record highs as U.S. cuts [View news story]
    The count of rigs operating in the Eagle Ford (basin that surrounds Houston) was at 129 on April 24, 2015.
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:26 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. oil rig count falls for 20th straight week [View news story]
    No. They do not. Very few contract owners hold physical anything in the com. market.
    Apr 24, 2015. 04:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America And A 6.1% Yield? Yes, Please [View article]
    For the exact reason you would buy a bond over par.
    Apr 21, 2015. 06:14 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • EPA will require weed resistance restrictions on Monsanto's Roundup [View news story]
    Let me play devil's advocate for a moment, what do you think will feed the population of the world in 2050? Food stuff from GMO or natural products? Regardless of what you think about MON, the products they make and energy they have invested (and spurred others to do so as well in competition) into GM seeds and products like Round-up are the only current feasible way that the world will not be eating each other in 2050. Granted I think we will see more foods come into play that most of the Western populous cringe at (insects and lab produced meat); but organic and natural grown crops simply cannot feed the world based on the projected growth we will see.

So, either we need to make something new that will make MON and its products obsolete, or we need to start getting rid of a lot of people quite quickly, or accept that MON and its products (and peer's products) are here to stay and will multiply.
    Apr 2, 2015. 09:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment