Ron Reed

View Ron Reed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Appeals court strikes down net neutrality rules [View news story]
    I don't think so. In fact I bet not, IF that happens I will switch providers or drop it entirely. I can assure you that more regulation only increases prices. Remember the regulations that were lifted off long distance and all of a sudden you had companies come in and compete and the prices dropped due to it.
    Jan 14 02:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Appeals court strikes down net neutrality rules [View news story]
    That is a rather silly reaction I think. You want lower prices, go to another service provider. I do not find that the prices are too high, I think there is plenty of competition to keep prices low. In fact you can get unlimited still on a plan for about 75.00 a month, that is very low in my book.

in fact, getting an FCC rule dropped is exactly what any judge should do, get the Gov't out of the free market and stop over regulation. I'd much rather a company spend money on services rather than compliance with Gov't regulations. I don't think a lot of folks realize just how expensive it is to keep up with all the changes much less all the compliance cost.

Guess you think we should just let the Gov't run it all and make it free huh?
    Jan 14 12:17 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Appeals court strikes down net neutrality rules [View news story]
    Wait a minute, this sounds like the same debate that was listed for online music, is everyone trying to say that regardless of what amount of bandwidth you use you should pay the same? Why should I get to pay X and you pay X but I download gigs of data and slow you down? If you want or need more bandwidth then pay for it, it is a simple solution in my book.

While I see the possibility for abuse by the corporations there is also abuse by the customers on the other side of the debate. I see more potential for abuse by customers than by the corporations. I do not see this as a big business debate, I see this as a good overall fair way to put the cost on those who use it most.
    Jan 14 11:41 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading halt on Frontier Communications [View news story]
    seems mr. market disagrees, +13.5% premarket
    Dec 17 07:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Devon to put Canadian gas assets up for sale as low prices bite [View news story]
    Because that has worked so well where? No argument, mgt' stinks, but an activist investor simply taking over or forcing a board change has not worked in any recent play that I recall. In fact, generally speaking, it causes such an upheaval that it tends to cause a certain short term drop and long road back to the same general valuation prior to the act.
    Dec 6 07:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Minus sector giants, mREITs head higher [View news story]
    Be careful there and ensure you include the dividend in the pricing of options for NLY, holding only the contract you will miss out on the div, so it is calculated as a loss as opposed to holding the stock.
    Dec 6 01:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Take a look at CHK, same situation there and the shakeup has done noting much, SD is the same way. I work closely with most of them here in OK. There needs to be a large investigation into how they spend and holder value.
    Dec 6 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Proof That Pandora's Growth Is Over [View article]
    Time to short another 1000 shares...
    Dec 4 10:46 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Banks about to get clarity on prop trading [View news story]
    As someone once commented to me about banking/investing regulation (sic) "...son, those guys are a hell of a lot smarter than we are, we can make any rule we want and they will make money on it..."
    Dec 3 04:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora surges following JPMorgan note, hedge fund disclosures [View news story]
    Nov 25 (10 days later)

Pandora Media Cut to Equalweight From Overweight by Morgan Stanley >P
    Nov 26 07:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora slides ahead of earnings following Albert Fried downgrade [View news story]
    Nov 15th
    Three days after Needham issued a bullish note on Pandora (P +6.2%) ahead of its Nov. 21 FQ3 report, JPMorgan is joining in. The firm has raised its PT to $35 from $25, while declaring the Internet radio leader is nearing a revenue "inflection point" thanks to share gains and salesforce investments.

Nov 25 (10 days later)

Pandora Media Cut to Equalweight From Overweight by Morgan Stanley >P

This is exactly what I was talking about.
    Nov 26 07:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora Media misses by $0.05, beats on revenue [View news story]
    If you have 100 shares and 99 are owned by intuitions, someone comes in and shorts 2 shares and those are purchased by an intuition , you now have 101% ownership.

Remember, on shorting, you borrow the shares and sell them to the open market, hence you can get the numbers skewed a bit.
    Nov 22 03:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora Media misses by $0.05, beats on revenue [View news story]
    I agree, its not perfect, very few systems are; however it is the system we work with and it is far better than allowing reports to be presented ad hoc. Left to their devices most companies will pick and choose the algorithm that makes them look best and forgo the most informative to the shareholder. The flip side to that argument is that if shareholders responded to the news in a rational manner it would make little difference to the manner the data is presented, alas they are not and emotional choice still run the market for the most part.
    Nov 22 07:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora Media misses by $0.05, beats on revenue [View news story]
    There is a good reason for GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principals) It allows everyone to be on the same page and compare apples to apples. Reporting in big fanfare non-GAAP results is misleading and often purposely so.
    Nov 21 05:23 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora Media misses by $0.05, beats on revenue [View news story]
    For the quarter ended Oct. 31, Pandora reported a loss of $1.7 million, or a penny a share, compared with a year-earlier profit of $2.1 million, or a penny a share.
    Nov 21 04:43 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment