Ron Reed

View Ron Reed's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Schlumberger’s bid for Cameron makes sense, analysts say [View news story]
    I believe this merger has little to do with the HAL/BHI merger other than on the periphery. IAW, I'm sure it came up in conversation but I doubt it was a large push.
    Aug 26, 2015. 04:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sandridge Bond Buybacks And The 85% Preferred Convertible Yield [View article]
    An easier (in some cases) possible way to hedge is to short right before earnings are paid, it certainly depends on the 10day moving as to what the share count will be, but it may cost less than buying the put.

(Not saying buying the put is not a good idea, in some cases it is better than shorting the common, just another facet to toss out there)
    Aug 26, 2015. 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    See the prospectus for the call. As to not paying, SDRXP is cumulative and if they miss the payment they have to pay it later. Hence the payment in shares rather than miss.
    Aug 25, 2015. 04:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crude hovers near $40/barrel [View news story]
    So long as you are looking at a long term picture, yes it is a good time to buy. This may not be the absolute bottom, but we are rather close.
    Aug 20, 2015. 05:27 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chinese shares dive; Hong Kong enters bear market [View news story]
    Gold is now just another commodity like oil and grain; it is only worth what the Fiat/reserve currencies tell you what it is worth. What causes me to chuckle is the big spike of talking heads calling China all sorts of names for manipulating their currency all the while turning a blind eye to the West doing the same.
    Aug 20, 2015. 05:22 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SandRidge Energy Buys Some Time [View article]
    Huh? You seem to imply that O&G are the only resources for revenue to the States. That is by far ridiculous at best and moronic at least. Beyond that the commodity prices are at a fair price now and will continue to be for a while.
    Jun 29, 2015. 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oklahoma drilling regulator calls recent spike in quakes a "game changer" [View news story]
    I do, and they are for the most part not felt by us mere mortals. The larger concern is that a build up of small quakes leads to larger ones. I think they need to find another cause as it appears on the surface not to be WW injection wells. Then again, maybe the ground just needs more time to come to an equilibrium. I don't know, I'm still waiting for more data and proof myself.
    Jun 24, 2015. 07:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NGL price plunge may add to oil and gas company pain, some analysts say [View news story]
    Because the overall loss to both the economy and more importantly PEOPLE is far greater than any minor price increase in oil or NGL. While I understand your wish for the price to increase, that is not the way for it to happen.
    Jun 17, 2015. 07:33 AM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Easy money keeps oil drillers drilling [View news story]
    <Lower oil is good for the struggling lower classes... Higher classes & sheiks may want to profits off of the barrels but most people stand to benefit from lower oil>

Cash - Read Bastiat your theory is flawed....
    Jun 1, 2015. 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SandRidge ratings cut by S&P following debt-share exchange [View news story]
    As a holder of a big (for me) chunk of the SD debt instrument, I see this a time to acquire more. The big scare is that oil does not recover and that they run out of cash early to mid 2016. If oil stays depressed there will be so much more I am worried about that the loss of my investment I hold now will seem paltry in comparison (I live in an oil State).

SD is actually a very well run company, the calls for an activist are just a knee jerk reaction to the depressed stock price, and immature in my opinion.

All the E&P companies are having a rough go of it right now, SD just happens to be the harder hit of the big boys. Based on the slow rate of increase of oil, I suspect this will be more a point that folks are kicking themselves about not buying. The preferreds are WAY under par with SDRXP @ 30.80 and SDRXN @ 27.00. Grab what you can now, or at least have a chunk set aside to grab when you think they are back on the uptick, I cannot assume if we at bottom now any better than anyone else.
    May 15, 2015. 02:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SandRidge ratings cut by S&P following debt-share exchange [View news story]
    AMEN!
    May 15, 2015. 09:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Did U.S. shale blink first? [View news story]

The simple view would be to account the sub's that O&G get and the monetary production that follows and compare the same to alt. energy.

In that sense O&G win BIG Time.

However, the sub's they get are reduced tax by the States mainly not the Fed. Either way, yes I agree they should be getting any sub's nor should all the other industries that do so. They are many and most ridiculous but that is another whole article.
    May 14, 2015. 06:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Did U.S. shale blink first? [View news story]
    While Alt. Energy is getting better, it is no where near as cost effective as fossil fuels. Wind power is growing, but still more expensive than coal and nat. gas. Solar panels, ha, ha, ha. In few places they work fine and can pay for themselves, here and all over the mid-west, we get lots of sun but lots of hail too, they simply cannot stand up to it. Heck a 30yr roof only lasts 10 years here...

No, I don't think we'll see alt. energy come to fruition in a big way for a very long time.
    May 14, 2015. 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • El Nino forecast looms over coffee market [View news story]
    Naa, stock analyst are wrong more often and still stay in business.
    May 14, 2015. 11:56 AM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Did U.S. shale blink first? [View news story]
    Well said CalMike. There is also the idea that they have such a tremendous reserve and that is the primary funding source, if oil prices remain high and alternative sources are plentiful enough to lower its price to compete with cheap oil, then they (OPEC and others) will be left with a worthless commodity.

Not really worthless as we will always need oil for many things, but if alternative power sources become entrenched then the need for large volume of oil will be significantly reduced. It make no difference if the entrenchment comes as a result of price or by political push/taxation. I do believe we are at a crest point with alternative energy; being well funded by both private and public sector (along with the Nat. gas push), the Saudi's may be feeling that the writing is on the wall.

Lots of speculation, hard to really get good numbers, but all of great interest to anyone who invests in anything, many seem to think that the energy market does not affect them, those folks are wrong and will end up paying for that mistake. As a good friend once told me "...That is a good piece of experience you just bought..."
    May 14, 2015. 09:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment