Ron Reed

View Ron Reed's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • GOP hopeful of debt-budget deal today [View news story]
    What I find is so inexplicable is that Congress is attempting to tell the Exec. branch that it cannot raise the debt limit to enforce the laws that Congress passed. So many people misunderstand that the debt limit only needs to be increased due to the laws that Congress has already passed and the Exec. branch is mandated to enforce. Don't get me wrong, I don't like this administration and I don't agree with its tactics or values, but the whole load a crap spewed by both sides on this is all misleading talking points to begin with. Then you have big weigh in from so called experts that express only opinion and no fact swinging to either the right or left political side, a public that doesn't have a clue, and a huge amount of fear mongering from all sides; I honestly wonder where the political machine gets these people in the first place. Most high school kids have a better grasp of civics and the constitution than Congress and the other elected bozo's. There is certainly no better country to live in, in my opinion, but I sure wish we could elect some folks in that care more about the people and less about themselves.
    Oct 11 05:51 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Obama "essentially fired Ben Bernanke on the spot," says ex-Fed Governor Larry Meyer, commenting on the President's remarks during an interview yesterday (he's stayed a lot longer than he was supposed to). Meyer also notes the "tepid" testimonial from the President following that line. "It's time to really now focus on who the next chairman might be." [View news story]
    "Mr President can take the wheel of this ship at any time now..we've been waiting 5 years.."

Based on everything he has done, I really don't think we want to see that happen.
    Jun 19 08:30 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Teekay Tankers: Potential Dividend Play With Upside [View article]
    about as knowledge building as a high school freshman doing a book report on jack and jill. Thanks for the waste of time and space.
    May 1 04:18 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Appeals court strikes down net neutrality rules [View news story]
    That is a rather silly reaction I think. You want lower prices, go to another service provider. I do not find that the prices are too high, I think there is plenty of competition to keep prices low. In fact you can get unlimited still on a plan for about 75.00 a month, that is very low in my book.

in fact, getting an FCC rule dropped is exactly what any judge should do, get the Gov't out of the free market and stop over regulation. I'd much rather a company spend money on services rather than compliance with Gov't regulations. I don't think a lot of folks realize just how expensive it is to keep up with all the changes much less all the compliance cost.

Guess you think we should just let the Gov't run it all and make it free huh?
    Jan 14 12:17 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors on watch after reports of incident at California plant [View news story]
    Regardless of where you sit on the issue (short or long TSLA) basing any trade or valuation of any stock on "up to the minute, you gotta see this" news reporting is a terrible idea. News casts get so much wrong I don't even watch them. Heck, they can't get the scores from games played the night before right much less the details of an ongoing incident, or policy change, or how a given law effects something. So much spin and so little reporting have driven the whole journalist field into worse than fiction writing and borderline slander.
    Nov 13 04:18 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Federal Reserve Actually Propping Up Interest Rates: What This Means For mREITs [View article]
    Good point, if you don't understand what the company does or how it does it, stay out.
    Jun 21 01:16 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Simple Reasons I'm Still Short Pandora [View article]
    What would tell me I (and the author) was wrong; is a solid proof of positive earnings and ways going forward to increase earnings and actually value the stock. Having a continual loss of capital and and increasing stock price is rather irrational in a market with competitors that do have positive earnings. The current price is based on pure speculation and only 1/4 based in truth at that.
    Oct 7 03:43 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You got it. However so many people trade on emotion and post the same way even more so. If we all traded on emotion we'd be out of the market in short order. Technicals and fundamentals rule every time.
    Jun 21 12:59 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Capital Agency Among The Worst mREITs [View article]
    I agree the title was well picked to gain attention, and the article is short on technical analysis and no facts to back up a "gut" feeling. As always when feelings are used to trade they are most often wrong.
    Jun 11 07:43 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Appeals court strikes down net neutrality rules [View news story]
    Wait a minute, this sounds like the same debate that was listed for online music, is everyone trying to say that regardless of what amount of bandwidth you use you should pay the same? Why should I get to pay X and you pay X but I download gigs of data and slow you down? If you want or need more bandwidth then pay for it, it is a simple solution in my book.

While I see the possibility for abuse by the corporations there is also abuse by the customers on the other side of the debate. I see more potential for abuse by customers than by the corporations. I do not see this as a big business debate, I see this as a good overall fair way to put the cost on those who use it most.
    Jan 14 11:41 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora Media misses by $0.05, beats on revenue [View news story]
    There is a good reason for GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principals) It allows everyone to be on the same page and compare apples to apples. Reporting in big fanfare non-GAAP results is misleading and often purposely so.
    Nov 21 05:23 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora Media misses by $0.05, beats on revenue [View news story]
    For the quarter ended Oct. 31, Pandora reported a loss of $1.7 million, or a penny a share, compared with a year-earlier profit of $2.1 million, or a penny a share.
    Nov 21 04:43 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yellen leans dovish in prepared confirmation hearing remarks [View news story]
    Saying Yellen "leans dovish" is like saying Miley Cyrus "shows signs of immaturity"

I'll be quoting you on that! I agree wholeheartedly.
    Nov 13 05:21 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Panicky selling grips the mortgage REITs (REM -3.5%) as Treasury yields soar following the payroll report. American Capital (AGNC -6.9%), (MTGE -5%), Annaly (NLY -6.9%) Chimera (CIM -4.9%), Armour (ARR -3.9%), Invesco (IVR -2.7%), CYS Investments (CYS -3%). CYS' Kevin Grant was public a month ago about being a happy buyer as yields rose - a bit early on that call. [View news story]
    While the div. is a plus side to the sector, you cannot look at it that way, the div is just the payoff for the risk. The only way to fairly value them is to look at BV and what the impact to BV will be with changes to the YC, lots of private investors look at the 15+% div and think "holy crap, gotta get me some of that" and ignore the reason for the high return. Never forget ECO101 that next to supply and demand is that the money always follows the risk, no matter what.
    Jul 5 10:17 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shares of Gastar Exploration (GST -25.1%) are reeling after Chesapeake (CHK) files a lawsuit seeking rescission of certain transactions that closed in 2005 involving GST's Hilltop Prospect in Texas and CHK's investment in GST common stock. In addition to its original initial investment of $81.6M, CHK seeks reimbursement of additional lease and well costs. [View news story]
    Wow! new levels of depravity at CHK. Whats next? Strong arming the employees of their lunch money?
    Oct 3 03:24 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment