Ph.D. economics and Finance MBA finance
Globe Institute of Technology
Professor – Economics and Finance, Chair of Business Department
Colorado Technical University
Adjunct Professor – courses: Applied Managerial Finance (Graduate Level), Microeconomics, International Finance
European School Of Economics (New York Campus)
Adjunct Professor – Economics (Graduate Level) Courses taught: Microeconomics
Metropolitan College of New York
Adjunct Professor – Economics, Banking and Finance
Courses taught: History of Economic Thought, Macroeconomics, Money and Financial Institutions
World Gold Council
New York, NY
• Constructed econometric models relating to gold's role as a portfolio diversifier primarily aimed at institutional investors.
• Focused on models of the embedded optionality of gold in terms of its relation to other investment assets and economic fundamentals such as inflation and business conditions.
Founder and President, Internet Startup company with polling and investment advice websites.
Fundamental Portfolio Advisors, Inc.
Chief Portfolio Strategist – President
• At the predecessor company I started the New York Muni Fund, the first single state triple tax-free municipal bond fund.
• I took the fund from a one-employee start-up where I performed every function to a family of mutual funds which had five funds with total assets above $300 million and which did all of its distribution, accounting and transfer in-house.
• I wrote the initial prospectus and was responsible for managing the portfolios of what eventually grew to be a family of 5 mutual funds.
• Was chief economist for parent company’s brokerage affiliate.
• Involved on the buy-side in the development and monitoring of various structured municipal finance products. Worked with major issuers such as New York City and major investment banks such as Merrill Lynch and Goldman Sachs.
• Designed and submitted a U.S. Patent Application for a portfolio management system for mutual funds involving derivatives.
Note: In 1996 Fundamental Portfolio Advisors and myself were subject to civil litigation by the SEC which resulted in deregistration and a permanent bar from the securities industry.
A. Gary Shilling & Co.
Senior Economist – Vice President
Economic consulting, modeling and forecasting. Both macro and micro.
• Clients included: Emerson Electric, Bethlehem Steel, Castle & Cooke, Cooper Industries and the U.S. Department of Transportation.
• I was the author of the 1979 study commissioned by the U.S. Government Interstate Commerce Commission, which calculated the expected economic impact of trucking deregulation.
White, Weld & Co, Inc.
• White, Weld was the sixth largest investment banking and brokerage firm when Merrill Lynch bought it.
• Extensive work was done on the All-American Pipeline Proposal to tap the Alaskan Gas Reserves.
• The economics department of White, Weld formed A. Gary Shilling & Co. at the time of the Merrill Lynch merger.
American Stock Exchange
New York University
June 1978 Ph.D.
• Ph.D. dual field, economics and finance.
• Doctoral dissertation was in contingency claims (options) theory
June 1973 MBA with concentration in economics and finance
NYU Engineering School
June 1971 Bachelor of Science - Nuclear Engineering Tau Beta Pi
Analysis of the Embedded Inflation Optionality in Gold Prices. World Gold Council, 2000. New York, N.Y.
The Economic Impact of Trucking Deregulation. Interstate Commerce Commission, 1979, Washington D.C.
I am a former analyst, now full-time investor. I may take long or short positions in companies that I write about, although my focus is on uncovering what I believe to be questionable companies and transactions. I will always provide disclosure whenever I publish a blog post.
I will never attempt to provide false or misleading information. All facts that I present on this site are true to the best of my knowledge. All opinions presented are my own and accurately reflect my actual opinion on the issues that I write about.
Currently I am a student learning Chemistry and Biochemistry. I have always loved the world of business and have followed it closely since I was in high school. I am a broke student, so I can't whet my appetite following my guts, except on fake money accounts such as HowTheMarketWorks.
However, the satisfaction of doubling and more the value of a floating point number on someone's website over a week or two hasn't been enough to keep my attention.
I come here as an effort to exercise my passion in finance, and to grow as an investor. Please, if you disagree with me in an article, tell me, and tell me why! Your opinions are as valid as mine, I write in an effort to be right, not thinking I am right.
My trading style is generally short term, betting on corrections, but I do also do value investment assessments when they are interesting.
Gary Weiss is an investigative reporter and freelance writer. He is the author of three books, including AYN RAND NATION: The Hidden Struggle for America's Soul, to be published by St. Martin's Press on February 28, 2011. He was an investigative reporter for BusinessWeek magazine for many years, and was a contributing editor for Conde Nast Portfolio. He is a regular weekly columnist for TheStreet.com and Salon.
Follow him on Twitter: https://twitter.com/gary_weiss, and check out his author page, http://gary-weiss.com.
Elsewhere on the web:
Gary can speak on a wide variety of topics, from investment fraud to the influence of Ayn Rand on American politics and culture. For more details and speaking topics, email him or log on to http://www.macmillanspeakers.com/garyweiss
Sam Antar is a convicted felon and a former CPA. As the CFO of Crazy Eddie, Mr. Antar helped mastermind one of the largest securities frauds uncovered during the 1980s.
Today, Sam Antar is a forensic accountant. His primary work focuses on identifying and investigating public companies engaged in securities fraud by examining their accounting practices and performing an in-depth (deep-dive) financial analysis. His clients include law firms, research firms, hedge funds, and certain other entities. He advises law enforcement agencies and professionals about white-collar crime and trains them to catch the crooks.
His views on white-collar crime are frequently quoted in the print news media, online news media, TV media, professional journals, books, and blogs. He has appeared on Fox News, Fox Business Channel, WSJ Live, CNBC, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Canadian Business News Network, National Public Radio’s Planet Money, Progressive Radio Network, Reuters TV, RT News, and other media outlets to give insights on white-collar crime. His articles have been published by Business Insider, CNBC, Newsweek, Seeking Alpha, TalkMarkets, and other publications.