Rookie IRA Investor

View Rookie IRA Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Microsoft's Windows 8 Isn't A Flop ... Yet [View article]
    Yes, I think using a word like "charms" which suggests Harry Potter is confusing at first, but once people get used to it, it creates a new word meaning that is immediately associated with Windows and replaces words like "utilities".
    Apr 13 12:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Windows 8 Isn't A Flop ... Yet [View article]
    "I'm one of those idiots who couldn't figure out how to shut it down...I consider myself much more tech savvy than the average person too."

Vote "like" for this post if you do not consider yourself "tech savvy" enough to Google: "How to shut down Windows 8", so that we can get a baseline for the average person.

Here's one of the top results:

and here is another.

Wow, I don't even have Windows 8, but I know how to do it. I have zero tech qualifications.

I guess there are a lot of people who would go by bus instead of renting a car, because they might not be able to find the gas tank cap or know how to open it. And if it gets dark, how will they be able to find the light switch?
    Apr 13 11:55 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Story: Only The Beginning? [View article]
    "As much as I love Apple, I had a horrible experience with tech support yesterday."

Pray tell.
    Apr 13 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Story: Only The Beginning? [View article]
    "... we could consider Apple's cash position 'parked outside' a hedge against inflation?"

While the fed is printing money and effectively devaluing the dollar, cash may be a burden for AAPL.

If interest rates go up, this will be massively good for Apple's cash hoard, on the other hand a rise in earnings per share will probably be matched by higher prices for consumers as inflation kicks in.
    Apr 13 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Story: Only The Beginning? [View article]
    "Those are web sites with broken or dead links to live chats."

I tested one of those live chat links and "Mikhayla" responded within seconds. I can't really see if it matters if she is in Bangalore, Baltimore, or Bangkok for that matter.

"Customer service is a store in a major metro area where you can take your phone or tablet and have a human interact with you..."

Yes, if you don't mind taking the day off work to travel to the metropolis. Having just checked myself, the nearest Apple store is 1132 miles from where I live and would require an overnight stay in a hotel plus airfares, taxis, meals. On the other hand I could get help via live chat without moving from my kitchen.

According to Wikipedia there are only Apple stores in 14 countries in the world out of almost 200 countries. There isn't even one in Puerto Rico, which is part of the US. Some customer service.

I am cautiously long Apple at this price and trade weeklies against long LEAPS, but let's not get carried away with this customer service thing.
    Apr 13 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Story: Only The Beginning? [View article]
    @Mashup.

Presumably you live close to an Apple store and do not have to take the day off work losing 12 hours pay so you can drive 2 hours to the store location. With an online chat service like Samsung has, which is open 24 hours a day, you could make contact from home (or maybe from work if your employer permits), and save gasoline. If the device has to be shipped for repair, a shipping label can be downloaded and printed at home and the shipping can usually be done from close to home.

Of course if you want the same kind of service for your cell phone as for your washing machine or car, then that is your prerogative.

Anyway, the point made above was that Samsung has NO customer service. You can certainly buy all kinds of cheap consumer electronics from Chinese web sites like Light-in-the-box.com that really do come without any customer service, but Samsung devices do not come under that heading.
    Apr 13 08:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Stocks On Sale Using This Strategy [View article]
    If the stock is put to you at $180 while the underlying has fallen to $110, you won't have much joy selling calls.
    Apr 13 07:24 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Analyzing Apple From An Absolute And Relative Value Standpoint [View article]
    She is probably thinking about what Tiger would do--most likely a double ratio back spread.
    Apr 12 11:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Windows 8 Isn't A Flop ... Yet [View article]
    All over the world there are huge cities like Kaohsiung City (population 2 3/4 million) that hardly anyone in the US has ever heard of. In these cities there are thousands of businesses, large and small, and almost every single one of them uses Windows computers, usually desktops, often as a cash register or to track and order stock.

If you fly over any populated area of the world at night and look at the lights of the cities below, you can be sure that almost every single commercial building will contain computers running Windows. The commerce of the whole world runs on Windows.

They will not be all be changing to Apple or to touchscreens in a hurry. They just won't.

Probably they won't be buying new computers at the same rate when computers were the new thing and every business was getting computerized, but sooner or later all these computers will be replaced with... other computers.

Probably a lot of people in 1915 predicted that Ford would be out of business by 1920, as everyone would be traveling by airplane, but last time I looked out of the window, there were still plenty of cars around.
    Apr 12 11:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Stocks On Sale Using This Strategy [View article]
    "Let me anticipate three concerns investors may have with this strategy:..."

4. My biggest concern would be that the S&P 500 plunges (due to ? what, perhaps a massive earthquake in California or a nuclear war with North Korea, or the collapse of the euro, or some unforeseen eventuality known as a black swan) and the investor is left looking at massive losses.

Why put so much capital at risk for the sake of a dodge to get around paying a bit of income tax on dividends if this is not in a retirement account?
    Apr 12 10:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft And The Windows 8 Conundrum [View article]
    The vast majority of ATMs worldwide run on Windows, so I guess the ATM is dead too?
    Apr 12 09:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Windows 8 Isn't A Flop ... Yet [View article]
    "People will soon start squinting their eyes after spending too much time on smart phones and tablet and will return to PC."

Some people will. I am reading this in Firefox on a Toshiba laptop and I always crank the font up large and lean back in my chair with my mouse on the arm so that I can scroll around with a barely imperceptible twitch of the finger.

A touch screen is way too much work for me, and if you try to read a Kindle book on an iPhone, your arm is soon exhausted from swiping the page turn every few seconds.
    Apr 12 07:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Windows 8 Isn't A Flop ... Yet [View article]
    "No survey could have anticipated the iPad because the technology did not exist before Apple made one."

Actually it did and it was not invented by Apple.
    Apr 12 07:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Windows 8 Isn't A Flop ... Yet [View article]
    When I had a desktop I installed a duplicate hard drive and then cloned the main hard drive while it was working well. Using the Western Digital software it only took few minutes. I would back it up again every few weeks if all was well, then whenever I got a virus I would just clone back. It was well worth the $80 for the extra drive and saved me from numerous disasters and I didn't bother with antivirus software.
    Apr 12 06:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Story: Only The Beginning? [View article]
    "Plus Samsung has NO customer service."

What is this?