Roy Blanchard

View Roy Blanchard's Comments BY TICKER:
  • CP: A Dividend Growth Model Exposes The Over Valuation [View article]
    Check out corporate name for NSC. It has no and.
    Dec 12, 2014. 03:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Mac Makes Me Confident In The iPhone's Future [View article]
    In the 1950s and 60s IBM leased their machines and never sold them. Because they were designed to run IBM proprietary software. And so they became the dominant hardware supplier. So it is w AAPL today. It's a software business that makes iEverything to run on that proprietary software.

I'm a total convert, having switched all my business and personal work to the AAPL ecosystem. Plug and play all the way is the only way for a technophobe like me. and, yes, I'm long AAPL witb a pre-split cost basis of $40.
    Aug 15, 2014. 05:42 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple files all glass patent [View news story]
    Byron Wein says innovators will win and Billy Beane says the ones who get on first most will win. AAPL is good at both.
    Jul 9, 2014. 07:28 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • With The Declining Trend In Coal, Is CSX Still A Buy? [View article]
    Easily a buy. Listen to Clarence Gooden's remarks on the call. See how IM and merch same-store sales are taking place of coal, tho US steam coal is enjoying a bit of a reprieve in the northeast.
    Apr 16, 2014. 09:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple, Google And GE - Which One Of These Things Is Not Like The Others [View article]
    You've nailed it: "Apple needs to remind us how great it is and how even more fantastic it will be in the future."

That's what Jobs did so well. And he was a superb salesman. Apple was show biz to him, and he presented accordingly.

I'm in the RR biz and one of our best salesmen is UP's Jack Koraleski. He gets up on the stage and dazzles you with how great UP is and how it'll be even better tomorrow. Run a 2-year chart and see UNP up 80% to AAPL's down 20%. I'm long UNP, and on the sidelines for AAPL, tho I'm Apple enthusiast who is convinced Apple has the best software/hardware fit since IMB in the 60s. Too bad they can't sell the sizzle.
    Apr 10, 2014. 05:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barclays cuts CSX to Hold on coal outlook, limited 2015 growth [View news story]
    Thx, guys good to know I've got company.
    Apr 3, 2014. 10:02 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'm with deercreek. They're doing all the right things to replace coal and take more points out of the OR. Cindy Sanborn most likely understands what makes customers happy better than any of her peers. Having an ex-CFO as COO means performance metrics mean something. I don't own shares but perhaps I ought to. I have a $42 intrinsic value based on financial strength and the earnings record.
    Apr 3, 2014. 07:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Argument Against Berkshire Doing Stock Buybacks [View article]
    Definitely buy & hold. Bought my first BRKBs at spit-adjusted $63 and owned BNI and ATSF before that. BNSF can by itself generate the half-$billion annual earnings gain for the "Powerhouse Five" Buffett targets in his Lettter.
    Mar 12, 2014. 06:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yellen takes note of recent weak data [View news story]
    But you can always blame it on the weather!!
    Feb 11, 2014. 06:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Street reacts to Apple [View news story]
    That's DOOM and gloom. Stupid spell-checker.
    Jan 28, 2014. 08:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Street reacts to Apple [View news story]
    Remember, the sell-siders are looking for commissions. Up or down, it doesn't matter. So there's money to be made spreading oomph and doom.
    Jan 28, 2014. 08:08 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Too Many Upside Catalysts For The Stock To Go Down [View article]
    Like IBM 50 years ago, AAPL is becoming a software company that makes its own hardware to support all its clever apps.
    Jan 25, 2014. 08:43 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Canadian National Railway Company: A Dividend Growth Locomotive [View article]
    I too am long your three, plus KSU thanks to today's pull back. CNI has the added advantage of a simple network without a lot of branch lines, meaning all its traffic is concentrated over a few key routes and limited OD pair options. I rode VIA's Canadian Vancouver to Toronto last week and saw first hand how CNI keeps a single track filled and moving. No wonder they have the lowest OR in the biz. Next week's Q4 earnings call will be instructive.
    Jan 24, 2014. 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kansas City Southern dives after earnings miss [View news story]
    This stinks. I give you a number and ask you to match it. You don't. Was your number too high or is there something structurally wrong with my business? I tend to suspect the latter. What's more, I listened to the call and heard many things to cheer. Like the long-term trends in ops metric, revs, car counts, Mex and Canadian vols and cross-border growth.

I tend to take the fixed income view: if I lend you money, what are the odds I'll get it back? As for KSU, the answer the odds are very good. Witness the upgrade to investment grade and the savings in interest expense. And while we're at it, note loco lease-back program. Locos always run better when you own them.

Disclosure: I own no KSU now but have in the past and may well in the future. Esp with this buying oppty courtesy of the sell-siders.
    Jan 24, 2014. 09:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time to "aggressively phase out" old, unsafe oil tank cars, CN Rail says [View news story]
    Since most tank cars are owned by leasing companies and car-makers (GMT, TRN, e.g.), they will bear the brunt and the lessees will pay for it. This will add to the per-barrel transp cost and cut into the rails' ability to raise prices. The proper investment play is thus the lessors and builders. Disclosure: I own neither at the moment.
    Jan 21, 2014. 07:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment