Rubicon Associates

View Rubicon Associates' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Shopping For Steady Growth With Urstadt Biddle Properties [View article]
    Follow up on questions thus far (as well as additional information and insight) is on my instablog. Feedback is always appreciated. Mike
    Apr 11 11:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shopping For Steady Growth With Urstadt Biddle Properties [View article]
    Kaptain_lou, thanks fro reading and commenting. This was originally mentioned by you in an earlier article and has value, thanks for the suggestion and turning me on to the company.
    Apr 11 09:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shopping For Steady Growth With Urstadt Biddle Properties [View article]
    Brad, Thanks. While smaller than the average REIT I would look at, UBA looks solid and has a very conservative financial profile (it always helps when you have your name on the company). Some of the lower key (ie smaller) REITs have value as they are unfollowed (or underfollowed) and trade at a discount due to their size (advantage and disadvantage at the same time). Thanks for reading and commenting REIT Yoda.
    Apr 9 11:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shopping For Steady Growth With Urstadt Biddle Properties [View article]
    Spangler, putting the information together for you (and other readers). I will post it to my instablog and put a link in this comment stream. Should have put these details in, sorry for that. I have a few things to finish up on my end, but will post asap. This REIT flies under the radar (and I live in CT), but a fellow reader turned me on to them and I finally got off my backside to post on them. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Apr 9 09:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mortgage REIT ETFs - Is There A Difference? [View article]
    Not very familiar with FMY, but Brookfield is a top notch company, and as a subadvisor it is clearly beneficial.
    Apr 9 09:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mortgage REIT ETFs - Is There A Difference? [View article]
    I am beginning to think along the same lines. For sector allocators, the ETF is the way to go to get quick exposure to the entire sector. Those who do not have the time to spend researching the various companies would also do well to buy the sector rather than whichever is the highest yielding among the bunch. Thanks for reading and adding insight. Mike
    Apr 9 07:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mortgage REIT ETFs - Is There A Difference? [View article]
    Thanks Brad. Just submitted an article on a traditional REIT, hopefully it will be published soon. Another editor's pick for your article today (http://seekingalpha.co...) - kudos!
    Apr 9 05:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mortgage REIT ETFs - Is There A Difference? [View article]
    Interesting comment. I was thinking of looking at the top five holdings versus owning the ETFs. The top five will determine a significant amount of performance of the ETFs. I do believe that exposure should be diversified as there are headwinds facing the sector and individual mREITs.
    Apr 9 05:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Preferred CEF Showdown Final: The Shootout - My Top Pick [View article]
    Honestly, That is why I kept my FFC holdings, I really like Flaherty and their style. I rolled the higher premium and Spectrum (Nuveen) CEFs into Hancock. I will always have exposure to Flaherty, but have to admit the Hancock managers earned their stripes and warranted some of my capital. Thanks for reading and commenting, both are appreciated. Mike
    Apr 7 10:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tear Down The (Chinese) Wall! [View instapost]
    I think you have hit the nail on the head. I remember the dot-bomb nonsense, and this plays right into the same thing - analysts will be able to attract banking business and so on. It never turns out good.
    Apr 5 11:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Preferred CEF Showdown Final: The Shootout - My Top Pick [View article]
    There are a couple websites:
    There are books on preferreds and closed-ends as well, but these websites and SA ought to give you a pretty decent foundation. There is another contributor (http://bit.ly/HhWaLH) who writes on preferred stocks. If there is anything you might need, feel free to drop me a line. Thanks for reading, I appreciate it. Mike
    Apr 5 08:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Preferred CEF Showdown Final: The Shootout - My Top Pick [View article]
    Omaha, Thanks for reading, following and contributing to the series. If there is interest (which you just confirmed) I told Don Crumrine I would reach out to him. Would love to get questions from readers and have him answer questions folks care about.
    Apr 5 08:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Preferred CEF Showdown Final: The Shootout - My Top Pick [View article]
    Thanks for reading the series, hopefully it adds some value. In an increasing rate environment (as we have been seeing), I would expect preferreds to sell off somewhat (their price is stickier than their duration - or that of the underlying - would imply). The move will obviously be exaggerated due to the leverage used by the funds. As rates increase, I hope the managers will swap call protection for yield as the call protection loses some value. Mike
    Apr 5 12:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Preferred CEF Showdown Final: The Shootout - My Top Pick [View article]
    The purpose of the article was twofold: 1. get a good understanding of the preferred CEFs available to investors and hopefully explain it well, and 2. Reassess my holdings. Hopefully I accomplished number one (I know I learned from it) and I plan to swap out of my PFO, PFD and JPS holdings into HPF while retaining exposure to Flaherty through FFC (I will always want exposure to Flaherty, as I know them best and their style is closely aligned with mine). At the end of the day, HPF will be my larger preferred CEF holding. No sense in doing the analysis and making a recommendation in a sector I currently own if I won't commit my own capital to it.

Thanks for reading and commenting, I appreciate it.
    Apr 5 12:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Preferred CEF Showdown Final: The Shootout - My Top Pick [View article]
    Quite possibly due to the highest yield of the three. FFC and the Flaherty team would be my top pick if the fund had not run to a premium since I first wrote about them. I know the folks at Flaherty and have immense respect for them (which is why I am long three of their CEFs), but adding FFC at a premium (albeit less than PFO/PFD) is difficult as it normally trades at a discount and a downgrade of the banks could help bring it back to flat/discount to NAV. As I said, keep an eye on it and reassess. Again, I don't know the folks at Hancock, but I know (and have done business) with Flaherty and Spectrum. All three are high class outfits and my style is most aligned with Flaherty.

I was actually thinking about doing an interview with the firms to get their take on the market, where they see it heading... just not sure if there would be reader interest (although they could provide a lot of insight regarding preferreds as they are some of the biggest (and best) players outside street prop books. Would love feedback on the idea.
    Apr 5 09:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment