Rufus D

View Rufus D's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Google Ignores The PC While Lenovo Pushes Forward [View article]
    If Microsoft decides to offer Windows 9 free, they will also offer free ads for all on Bing the same day. Let the games begin. I think you should do an analysis of the revenue impact on both companies once search ads are free.
    Feb 23 08:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Smartphone Vendors Worry About 'Microdroid'? [View article]
    Right you are jayeeffeff. Microsoft does not need to dump Bing. On the contrary, there is only one thing that Microsoft needs to do: offer free ads on Bing. The same way Google gives away free clones of valuable Microsoft products. Bing is not needed by Microsoft as an ad based revenue stream generator, but search ads is the only real revenue stream for Google. Time to fight fire with fire!
    Feb 13 05:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Google Is The Top Tech Play Of Our Generation [View article]
    You could not be farther off on your analysis of google and android. Google uses its cash cow of search ad revenue to fund free versions of valuable software products and releases them into the market with very limited testing or support. They claim this is part of their altruistic open source philosophy. Bull. It is a planned anti-competitive strategy to hurt competitors by destroying the value of their products. It is the monopolists dream, and google is pursuing it with a vengeance. Perhaps Microsoft should try it the other way around: offer free ads on Bing to everybody. They have their own cash cows to fund the crushing of google, and it would be sweet to see it happen.
    Feb 2 05:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AWS And The Amazon Phone: The Next Big Thing? [View article]
    Just send pixels is the 'new' mantra? I worked at the HP data terminals division in 1979, and our job was to produce the device that would display the pixels, among other things. And guess what? We had several versions of these terminal devices, and I know the apps were 'persistent' because the boss could check my work every day on his little executive terminal. This back to the future cloud model seems to amaze everybody except the people who have seen it all before.
    Dec 24 12:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ChannelAdvisor: Strong Earnings Give Investors Something To Get Excited About [View article]
    Up another 7% today after Cramer slobbered all over himself with praise for ECOM on his show yesterday. http://cnb.cx/1a2F81R
    Aug 13 05:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking A Closer Look At iShares Dow Jones Select Dividend ETF [View article]
    Thanks for the research.
    Jun 10 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Asset Class Serial Killer: Who's Next? [View article]
    Hi Eric, brilliant article! I am sure many investors, myself included, have been bewildered by what has been happening in May. In spite of a 'conservative' portfolio well diversed among domestic stocks, corporate and high yield domestic bonds, reits, mreits, BDCs, tbonds, gold, preferred stocks, dividend stocks, and various index ETFs, there were multiple days in May when every single position I had was in the red, even as the Dow moved up! I got slaughtered with a 3.7% porfolio drop in May, with most of it coming from bonds and reits. Today I bailed and took up a 60% cash position. Your explanation makes perfect sense, thanks for publishing.
    Jun 6 12:50 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Would The End Of The Fed's QE Affect Agency mREITs? [View article]
    I have been considering moving from AGNC to REM to spread the risks that you have described so well. What do you think?
    May 24 04:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ChannelAdvisor IPO: A Compelling Cloud-Computing Growth Story In The Global E-Commerce Market [View article]
    Interesting post, thanks for the comparative data.
    May 23 08:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Is Undergoing A Revolution; Don't Miss It [View article]
    Good analysis, although I doubt the custom SoC will be a major focus outside of a couple of huge potentials like Apple. Thanks for staying on top of all those presentations for us.
    May 23 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Watching YouTube's Success [View article]
    Another important factor: YouTube has greatly streamlined the monetizaton process for both content creators and advertisers, so it is quick and easy to enable content matched ads to videos, which usually happens within a very short time (less than one hour) once the new content is uploaded. No other type of advertising can do this.
    May 21 01:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Silvermont - The ARM Killer [View article]
    Yep Russ, I hear ya, the first one I programmed was the 4040 back in '75 when Intel was just a pup. Little did I know when my manager handed me that 4040 users manual that day he was changing my whole life. The 80186 was really the first attempt at a 16 bit computing SOC and had one major computing design win that I recall: it was used on some of the Convergent Technologies workstation line. From the small world department, Steve Blank of Lean Startup Owners Manual fame was the Convergent product manager for those workstations at the time.
    May 5 05:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Silvermont - The ARM Killer [View article]
    Thumbs up on the rant! Intel also used to have the 8088, 8086, 80186, 80286 in the 16bit x86 line. It sure was a lot easier back then. If numbers were such a bad idea, why does everyone including Intel still refer to the cpu line as x86? Hey Russ, why don't you invent the logical numbering system they need now, and make a table of all the x86 CPUs going back a few years. Let's crowdsource this thing.
    May 4 01:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tim Cook: The (Negative) $250,000,000,000 Man [View article]
    "Another thing - Apple needs more people in its corner. A stock split helps to make sure every small investor that wants to buy Apple, can. Nothing contributes to positive perception like a whole lot of folks holding 10 - 20 shares of your stock in their retirement portfolio."

In other words, Apple should crowdfund its stock price. I agree, and it's not just the retirement crowd. Millions of Apple fans would by 5 or 10 shares as a way to finance their next iphone.
    Apr 20 01:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook Home - What It Means For Apple, Google, And Microsoft [View article]
    The Facebook Home is the equivalent of a home page on your browser, which sits on top of your OS. I have had a 'Yahoo Home' on my PC for years, and many have a 'Google Home' or lots of other choices. Nothing to see here, move along.
    Apr 7 06:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment