Rupert Hargreaves

View Rupert Hargreaves' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Report Says IBM Set To Cut 26% Of Workforce [View article]
    I think you're just tying to pick a fight here. I'm well aware of the fact that IBM may not respond and the fact that Cringely's ideas may just be the ramblings of a mad-man. But thanks for you're insight and remarkably ill-thought out comments.

That being said, most people realize IBM is having trouble, the idea of restructuring is not new to the company, they've done it before and they could do it again. The impact on employee moral here will be huge. If the company dose not say anything, it could be worse than actually going through with the layoffs. The news is all over the place now, it's unlikely most employees won't have seen it. It's more than likely that they will respond. If not, analysts will be calling the company wanting answers. We will know the truth soon enough then it will be time to comment. Until then we can only go on what's being reported.
    Jan 26, 2015. 07:57 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Report Says IBM Set To Cut 26% Of Workforce [View article]
    You make a valid point. There's no reason -- just yet -- to say that this is indeed going to happen. This news has been out for a few days though, IBM would have said ASAP if it was a lie. No company can afford to have its employees coming to work thinking about drastic lay-offs, even if the rumour is not true.
    Jan 26, 2015. 07:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2015 Is Set To Be A Blowout Year For Altria Inc., Lorillard Inc. And Reynolds Inc. [View article]
    If PM did report in Euro's that would certainly help the company.
    Jan 22, 2015. 02:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Simple, by repeating the concluding paragraph:

The bottom line
    All in all, Altria looks to be expensive right now based on historic metrics. However, it wouldn't make sense to sell as the company is a compounding machine. Trying to time the market would undoubtedly end in a loss making trade. It's better just to sit tight and let the company's stock price move however it sees fit, using declines to top up.

Moreover, there's no concrete evidence that suggest Altria's shares will fall as interest rates rise. The above data is just food for thought.

If anything, I advised against selling.
    Jan 20, 2015. 03:19 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Falling Oil Prices Hit LNG Producers As Prices Collapse [View article]
    Yes but oil is a LNG substitute, lower oil prices mean that oil is cheaper to use than LNG, so demand for LNG falls. This is a great explanation of the market. http://bit.ly/1sUYtwO
    Jan 19, 2015. 03:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Falling Oil Prices Hit LNG Producers As Prices Collapse [View article]
    In more production = more demand for ships, longer routes as well. But in the short-term the lng tanker market is oversupplied http://bit.ly/1AD3Pdu
    Jan 19, 2015. 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean LTD Scraps More Rigs, Warns Of Further Writedowns [View article]
    I simply stated the facts.
    Dec 19, 2014. 10:21 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean LTD Scraps More Rigs, Warns Of Further Writedowns [View article]
    two idle rigs in play but idled four and scrapped seven....how is that positive news?
    Dec 19, 2014. 10:19 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean LTD; Where's The Margin Of Safety? [View article]
    you probably shouldn't do that.
    Dec 17, 2014. 11:37 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean LTD; Where's The Margin Of Safety? [View article]
    This is exactly the problem the drillers now face. Even after writing off $2bn in goodwill, RIG still has $1bn of goodwill, which is concerning.

tradebr2010 your logics got legs but I was considering a worst case margin of safety view. I think over the long-term RIG will return to a P/TB of 1, or even P/B of 1 but are there further writedowns on the cards? I just don't know.
    Dec 17, 2014. 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ensco Could Be The Best Driller To Play The Recovery [View article]
    Dec 12, 2014. 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Count On Transocean LTD's Dividend [View article]
    With Icahn around I doubt it will be a full cut
    Dec 11, 2014. 11:56 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Next For Seadrill Ltd? [View article]
    If you find little value in the articles I write stop reading them. Hopefully your eternal optimism will pull you through.
    Dec 9, 2014. 03:18 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Next For Seadrill Ltd? [View article]
    I like the word obliterated.

Let's not split hairs. The payouts gone. Everyone knows that. I also have a basic grasp of the English language but thanks for the lesson.
    Dec 8, 2014. 02:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Next For Seadrill Ltd? [View article]
    I raised several red flags over the past two years, for the most part I was shouted down and in some cases the Motley Fool refused to publish my articles.

That being said, I will admit over the last six months to some extent I was suckered in by Seadrill's management. They promised to safeguard the dividend, and talked up the prospect of refinancing as well as contracting out newbuilds. If i had know that the oil price would have fallen by 35% to 40% in the second half and the market collapsed I would have warned people -- although if I had been able to forecast this I wouldn't be writing for SA.

In short, I couldn't see the drop coming. I own Rowan so I've been hurt as well. Admit your mistakes, move on a live to trade another day.
    Dec 8, 2014. 02:57 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment