Rupert Hargreaves

View Rupert Hargreaves' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Details Emerge On Why Seadrill Cut Its Dividend [View article]
    Ignoring of the facts? Seadrill's management stated that it wants to strengthen its balance sheet...they would have kept the payout if they could, they've done a huge amount of damage to their, and their company's reputation by cutting the payout, I'm sure that was not a decision that was taken lightly.

"Its so naive and like being in grade school for somebody to suggest that cutting a dividend signals problems"....you are joking right?
    Nov 27, 2014. 02:51 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean LTD; Where's The Margin Of Safety? [View article]
    you probably shouldn't do that.
    Dec 17, 2014. 11:37 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean LTD Scraps More Rigs, Warns Of Further Writedowns [View article]
    two idle rigs in play but idled four and scrapped seven....how is that positive news?
    Dec 19, 2014. 10:19 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transocean LTD Scraps More Rigs, Warns Of Further Writedowns [View article]
    I simply stated the facts.
    Dec 19, 2014. 10:21 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Next For Seadrill Ltd? [View article]
    Are you British by any chance? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic?
    Dec 8, 2014. 02:49 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Is Not The Time To Sell Seadrill And Transocean [View article]
    It's true they're not a reflection of current developments although they are a reflection of the fact that Seadrill is still getting a good price for some of its units. These units are now contracted for two years minimum, which will ride out the majority of the market downturn. They should come back into the market when prices have stabilized.
    Oct 21, 2014. 11:23 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • These Offshore Drillers Will Struggle Over The Next Few Years [View article]
    Investing Doc, I must admit I do agree that some of the data looks out of place. However, aside from collecting and collating all the data myself and sourcing it, there's no definitive way to set it out. Even if I did collect it all and source it, there would still be debate from some users.

RigLogix is the most definitive, central and easily accessible source I have at present.

I intend to go over each fleet separately over the next few weeks, which will be a more indepth analysis, rather than a summary as above. Hopefully that will be of more help. It should also flush out any anomalies with the data.
    Aug 14, 2014. 01:10 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • These Offshore Drillers Will Struggle Over The Next Few Years [View article]
    Haha well done. I thought you said no further reading was recommended?

It's true, I did make a mistake in the original. I submitted the edit than had to wait for it to be republished. You're just quicker than me that's all.

The MLP structure has been used a lot by drillers this year, including the Seadrill Partners spin. Rowan was quizzed about a MLP structure on its Q2 call, Ocean Rig is converting, and Transocean has created a drop down MLP structure.

The North Atlantic was an honest mistake, which has now been corrected.
    Aug 14, 2014. 12:02 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria's Holding In SAB Is Worth More Than You Think [View article]
    Technically yes, Philip Morris International was spun out of Altria, but Altria only became Altria during 2003, when Philip Morris co's changed its name to Altria group.

So Philip Morris became Altria, which then spun off its international arm. Philip Morris International was the larger part of the business.

Apologies, I'm still in the 'Motley Fool' writing style, they like to keep it simple for their readers.
    Aug 6, 2014. 03:16 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Brent-WTI Price Differential Continues To Contract But How Are Refiners Reacting? [View article]
    I am glad you found it helpful.

It'll be interesting to see how the situation plays out. Many OPEC members do need $100 oil but OPEC accounts for less than half of the worlds oil output these days. With so much cheap oil coming out of the US and demand stagnating worldwide, OPEC will have to drastically slash output along with other producers around the world to maintain prices above $100.

Still, the refiners in the US should keep chucking out huge profits for a long time yet. Am long $NTI, $HFC.
    Jun 6, 2013. 03:32 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Report Says IBM Set To Cut 26% Of Workforce [View article]
    I think you're just tying to pick a fight here. I'm well aware of the fact that IBM may not respond and the fact that Cringely's ideas may just be the ramblings of a mad-man. But thanks for you're insight and remarkably ill-thought out comments.

That being said, most people realize IBM is having trouble, the idea of restructuring is not new to the company, they've done it before and they could do it again. The impact on employee moral here will be huge. If the company dose not say anything, it could be worse than actually going through with the layoffs. The news is all over the place now, it's unlikely most employees won't have seen it. It's more than likely that they will respond. If not, analysts will be calling the company wanting answers. We will know the truth soon enough then it will be time to comment. Until then we can only go on what's being reported.
    Jan 26, 2015. 07:57 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2015 Is Set To Be A Blowout Year For Altria Inc., Lorillard Inc. And Reynolds Inc. [View article]
    Simple, by repeating the concluding paragraph:

The bottom line
    All in all, Altria looks to be expensive right now based on historic metrics. However, it wouldn't make sense to sell as the company is a compounding machine. Trying to time the market would undoubtedly end in a loss making trade. It's better just to sit tight and let the company's stock price move however it sees fit, using declines to top up.

Moreover, there's no concrete evidence that suggest Altria's shares will fall as interest rates rise. The above data is just food for thought.

If anything, I advised against selling.
    Jan 20, 2015. 03:19 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Count On Transocean LTD's Dividend [View article]
    With Icahn around I doubt it will be a full cut
    Dec 11, 2014. 11:56 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Next For Seadrill Ltd? [View article]
    If you find little value in the articles I write stop reading them. Hopefully your eternal optimism will pull you through.
    Dec 9, 2014. 03:18 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Next For Seadrill Ltd? [View article]
    I raised several red flags over the past two years, for the most part I was shouted down and in some cases the Motley Fool refused to publish my articles.

That being said, I will admit over the last six months to some extent I was suckered in by Seadrill's management. They promised to safeguard the dividend, and talked up the prospect of refinancing as well as contracting out newbuilds. If i had know that the oil price would have fallen by 35% to 40% in the second half and the market collapsed I would have warned people -- although if I had been able to forecast this I wouldn't be writing for SA.

In short, I couldn't see the drop coming. I own Rowan so I've been hurt as well. Admit your mistakes, move on a live to trade another day.
    Dec 8, 2014. 02:57 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment