Russ Fischer

View Russ Fischer's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Outguns Intel [View article]
    David,

You must like to argue for the sake of arguing.

I was running things off the cuff at 200 million chips. With iPad it is more like 300 million chips PER YEAR without growth. At good yield that means 646,000 wafers, at bad yield it means 1.1million wafers.
    It can't be done by TSMC, give it up.
    Even if it could barely be done, Apple would have to be dumb as a box of rocks to put 100% of their business in TSMC on an unproven process.

I'm through with this. You can believe whatever fictions you wish.
    Mar 8 04:23 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Outguns Intel [View article]
    TakeFive,

that would be the smart thing to do.

Now who else has a 20nm process and capacity ready to go. The rumors say not Samsung. The rumors say 100% to TSMC. If they split some 20nm and some 28nm, who's the poor bastard that gets the 28nm part in in his iPhone?

It either stays at Samsung 28nm or moves to Intel, or lightening has stuck and TSMC has better yield (any yield) and much more capacity than they have told anyone.

They could put 20nm A8 in the phone and A7 in the pad....and tell the world that they have a hosed up supply chain.....or they could move the whole A8 thing to Intel and have the mobile industry by the sensitive parts.
    Mar 8 02:13 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Outguns Intel [View article]
    Klaus88,
    "kinda possible" What does that mean....bet a $175 billion company on "kinda possible"
    Have I just passed into the Twilight Zone?

The rumor is 100% of the business. the rumors about Apple and TSMC have never...N-E-V-E-R been right. Not one Apple part has ever been built by TSMC.
    Mar 8 02:05 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Outguns Intel [View article]
    David,
    Sooooo, let me understand this: you are saying 375,000 20nm wafers per year.....and you think they could deliver 200,000 wafers in a quarter?

You should ask to have that comment deleted or corrected.

BTW, what are they going to do Qualcomm and a dozen others.

Either I have instantly turned into a moron or you are embarrassingly wrong on your arithmetic.

TSMC always talks about 8" equivalent wafers. Based on that they had capacity of 14 million 8" wafer divided by 2.25 is about 6.2 million 12 " wafers.

Very impossible
    Mar 8 01:50 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Outguns Intel [View article]
    A7 is 100 Sq. mm, no reason the A8 would be smaller.
    There are 58,000 usable sq. mm per 300mm wafer after edge effect and dicing lanes. 580 gross die, 50% yield 290 parts per wafer.
    At least 200 million parts for the phone and pad = 689,655 wafers.
    431,034 wafers at 80% yield.
    Mar 8 01:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Outguns Intel [View article]
    If memory serves, TSMC expects (hopes) 20 nm to be 10% of revenue by year end. I might guess that that would be about 5% of wafer output since any 20nm production would have to be 2X price per average TSMC wafer.
    TSMC total 300mm capacity is about 6 million per year give or take.
    So, 300,000 total wafers for next 12 months.

Apple alone would need 400,000 wafers minimum....At the rumored 50% yield they would need 700,000 wafers.

The numbers don't even come close to fitting. raghunathan 78 is simply wrong.

Apple either stays at Samsung and 28nm OR is already plugged into Intel at 14nm for A8. Maybe Intel is late on 14nm because they are giving Apple a few month exclusive, like they gave Apple six months exclusive on the ultra low power Haswell.
    Mar 7 11:38 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Galaxy S5 Dive Sets Up The iPhone 6 To Thrive [View article]
    Piero,

I've had both. My comment said that Apple lost me. It was over defective phones, short battery life, and no customer service from Apple.

I am a happy Samsung user now. Not a nutbird, like iPhone users, just a happy customer.

All of our phones are insured through a third part underwriter. Have lost one already, it was replaced, in our hands in two days. The plan costs a fraction of the same coverage from Apple
    Mar 6 10:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Galaxy S5 Dive Sets Up The iPhone 6 To Thrive [View article]
    bart,
    No, I just change them if I forget to plug it in overnight. But I could carry the extra battery/s if I had to ....what do you do with your iPhone? Punt?
    Mar 6 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Galaxy S5 Dive Sets Up The iPhone 6 To Thrive [View article]
    bj,
    That should put an end to the iPhone.
    Mar 6 10:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Galaxy S5 Dive Sets Up The iPhone 6 To Thrive [View article]
    Apple lost me to the Galaxy S4 and will never get me back.
    I bought three extra batteries and charger for the S4 for $15. I can change batteries in about 15 seconds.
    I wouldn't give up the "back" key for a 100 iPhones.
    Mar 5 09:15 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Outguns Intel [View article]
    Cinci,

I think TSMC is screwed on 20 nm....some rumor claims they are getting 50% yield which is probably BS, but, if not, certainly is nothing to brag about.

If you listen real close to Morris Chang on the last CC, he actually discounts 20nm as an artifact of pre-TriGate process planning, he went on to say that it will be a short lifetime process and that they were moving on to 16nm finfet.

I believe that time will show that they are stuck at 28nm.

I've got a way-out speculation: I think Intel is holding 14nm in order to give Apple a six month exclusive on it much as they gave Apple a six month exclusive on the ultra low power Haswell.

That is a non-zero long-long shot speculation.

I have it on very good authority that 25,000 design samples of Broadwell shipped to PC OEMs a couple of months ago and that D1X is just waiting for the "go" command.
    Mar 5 02:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Outguns Intel [View article]
    Mar 4 01:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Outguns Intel [View article]
    Ashraf,

Are we supposed to believe this article or this article:

The whole discussion reminds me think of the old joke about the two hunters who disturb a grizzly bear in the woods. As the bear attacks one hunter yells to the other, "run!" the other hunter says, "You can't outrun a grizzly bear!" to which the first hunter replies, "I don't HAVE to outrun the grizzly bear, I only have to outrun you!"

Intel doesn't have to outrun Apple, all they have to do is outrun Qualcomm.
    Apple will come along as an Intel foundry customer IN THE END.

All this might take a while, but I don't think anyone is going to stop buying and using smartphones in the near future.

I don't know why it should come as a surprise to anyone that the former PA Semiconductor design group that was purchased by Apple in 2008 would NOT be capable of designing some pretty good stuff. PA is the group that did the original DEC Alpha chip.

Here's some interesting history on the Alpha chip:

Sounds like Intel snuffed the Alpha chip in favor, of all things, Itanium.
    Alpha was a hell of a part.

I like Intel. I've never said that they play fair; I just like them because they know how to survive.....always looking over their shoulder.

In the unlikely event that Intel does lose this mobile thing and decline into obscurity, it would be like losing Bell Labs. But we all know that isn't going to happen, because they will play dirty if they have to. If all it takes is money to make it happen, Intel will get to a 1nm node if that is what it takes to win the war. Losing is not an option.
    Feb 28 03:55 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: What Is Apple Worth To Intel And What Is Intel Worth To Apple? [View article]
    desicon,

Damn, I was going to write an article on that. I think Micron would still have to have 51% so the other two could include P/L on the "Other Income/Loss line".
    Intel and Apple need Micron more than Micron needs them.
    Feb 20 02:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BW,
    Don't have much of a sense of humor do you?
    I can live with that.
    Intel has used TSMC for certain things since Christ was a corporal.
    Feb 19 12:35 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment