Ry The Kid

View Ry The Kid's Comments BY TICKER:
BBEP, BP, CAT, COH, DAL, EXC, GD, GE, INTC, JNJ, KMB, KMI, KO, LO, MA, MCD, MO, NVDA, PM, SLV, V, VZ, WAG, WEC, XOM
  • The Downfalls Of Philip Morris And Tobacco: It's Not What You Think [View article]
    occamsrazor,

I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond. You CLEARLY have much more knowledge on the topic than I do, and informative feedback is what I desired most when I wrote this.

Your response is the reason I wrote my article.

Thanks again,
    Ryan
    Mar 18 05:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    ozcutty,
    Sometimes I forget the blessings of living in America. A lifesaving ambulance/shot/doctor/... is just a phone call away. That's not true for the vast majority of the world.

Ryan
    Mar 12 02:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    22328381,

Using your logic, ALL employees of ALL companies that have EVER collapsed from scandals are equally as guilty as the select few who really committed the crime. How many companies have 30,000 corrupt employees that can all keep it a huge secret for so many years? Its much more likely to assume they probably didn't know it was happening.

Would you give any of the employees "due process" or just violate the Equal Opportunity Employment rights and assume all the bastards are guilty?

And I'm sure all the other audit firms were looking to pick up some of the corrupt employees so they could destroy their own firms as well.
    Sounds like you let skepticism get in the way of logic. How soon we forget this sort of thing...
    Mar 12 02:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Purple_K,

Thank you for taking time to comment. I appreciate your unique viewpoint.

*chuckle* Ah, humility....
    Mar 12 02:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    MM,

I omitted taste because I've never smoked and could not speak intelligently about the issue. But I'll assume its similar to Coca-Cola vs. generic cola, or Grey Goose vs. Skul, etc.

I agree with you MM.

Ryan
    Mar 12 02:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    justanotherid,

They have clearly been unsuccessful. I don't think it will happen soon, but eventually right....?

Ryan
    Mar 12 02:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    fatbaboon,
    thanks for your comments.

No doubt the article I cited is not the solution, but how many universities and private and public companies around the world are working on a vaccine for addictions?

Ryan
    Mar 8 10:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    thehash,
    <<what the author is saying is since tesla makes electric cars sell all your oil and gas stocks because hey no one is using it.>>

I don't even know how to respond to this comment.
    But the author would really say "sell your tesla stock and load up on oil and gas stocks because hey everyone is using it."

ryan
    Mar 8 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Matthew,
    I understand your point. However, the reason for (assumption) the vast majority of smoking is because of the addiction to nicotine and not the pure pleasure of smoking.
    I don't think the tobacco industry will ever go away. But I believe someday it was be in the consumer discretionary sector instead of the consumer staples sector. And the ramifications from that would be significant.
    Ryan
    Mar 8 10:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    loudano,
    yes a vaccine is in the works for most drugs; cocaine, meth, heroin, etc. and they have varying degrees of success.

I am skeptical that alcohol is worse than cigarettes however. Could you cite that please?
    Ryan
    Mar 8 10:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • E-cigarettes to be in focus in 2014 [View news story]
    It would be easier to list the things NYC hasn't tried to ban
    Dec 27 09:29 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Philip Morris International Is A Global Dividend Champion [View article]
    Morgan, I have a few questions.
    I don't know why your dividend growth graph starts with $3.84 since that's not the current annualized total or any other logic number I can think of. Where did $3.84 come from?

Also I'm unsure why your graphs indicate that in 2017 Philip Morris will pay out $7.25 for the year in dividends with net earnings of $8.37, that's an 86% payout ratio, well above PM's stated goal of around a 65% dividend payout ratio. Did they change that?

It makes your article seem weak if your heading is dividends and your charts are filled with incorrect data points.

Long PM
    Nov 1 01:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Coca-Cola At $32 A Share [View article]
    $4.50 special dividend from Coke? That's the next 12 quarters of regular dividends. They are a stable company because they DON'T pay out $4.50 special dividends.
    Oct 27 11:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Philip Morris' Management Discusses Q3 2013 Results - Earnings Call Transcript [View article]
    "'On a year-to-date September basis, our international share, excluding China and the Philippines is stable at 26.7%.'''

And the U.S. right? I know they don't compete with MO in the U.S. but they should at least acknowledge the market. Someone help me?
    Oct 17 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 14 Dividend Aristocrats With High Income For Retirement Investing [View article]
    """Attractive yields are still available from stocks and the best for retirement investors are Dividend Aristocrats (with track records of increasing dividends for at least 25 consecutive years). They provide yields of at least 2½% with annual income increases. In recent months, their yields have been rising while the Dow has set a new record above 15,600 last month and still remain near that record."""

That last sentence is incorrect. How can their yields be rising AND setting new record highs? They are inversely correlated.

Ryan