Ryan Pollack

View Ryan Pollack's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why Buying A House Is A Terrible Investment [View article]
    Until the hurricanes hit
    Aug 11 08:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Rite Aid Slips On Walgreen Deal [View article]
    I think its more due to WAG not doing the tax inversion and RAD and CVS just falling in sympathy, but agree whatever the reason its all WAG dependent and really doesn't affect RAD or CVS at all.
    Aug 6 10:34 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Marathon Oil: Staying Bullish As The Company Hikes Its Dividend [View article]
    Heather I think you have a typo. The quarterly dividend is now 0.21

'On Wednesday, July 30, Marathon Oil announced a quarterly dividend increase of $0.02/share, which brings its upcoming dividend payout to $0.31/share.'
    Aug 1 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    Jimicasey,

I looked this up on monthly prices in Yahoo and the GLD on Aug 2, 2008 was $81.71 and on April 1, 2009 was $91.03 for a gain of 11.41%! I also remember the VIX spiking absurdly like people could have retired just investing in VIX products during that short time.
    Jul 31 11:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Not Selling Anything, I'm Buying Everything [View article]
    Great article Dale! Learned many lesson from 2008. Saw a big drop on paper, but stayed invested and (luckily) rebalanced to perhaps better companies at the bottom and been on this 5 year run and add in reinvesting the divindeds to my dividend growth stocks plus 401k and IRA contributions and not only am I back to where I was before the finanical crisis I am nearly double that number. That's the power of staying invested, not panicking (especially if you have time on your side like I do) and the power of compounding.

So now I know I can handle a 60% market decline, I know the market bounces back (living through tech bubble and financial crisis and studying Great Depression) and hopefully the next time I spot those upcoming problems that lead to 50% market declines and can avoid them (or at least mitigate those paper losses to 20%) then go shopping for the next bull run.
    Jul 31 10:41 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: Potential To Unlock Huge Value By Creating REIT [View article]
    Perhaps I'm reading your reply wrong Anthony, but I know T could not maintain its dividend in the new company post any spinoff. But I would like lets say the REIT company and the 'new' T each pay .92 to equal the current $1.84. Then going forward the REIT could raise its dividend on its leases to other companies and T could raise its dividend with even more new found cf and less debt. That would be fantastic for T shareholders. Thanks for the quick response.
    Jul 29 11:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: Potential To Unlock Huge Value By Creating REIT [View article]
    Based on what WIN did it backhandedly lowered the dividend from $1 to .7 (REIT will pay .6 and the 'new' WIN will pay .1) I understand, especially for T, that in the long run would increase cf and decrease debt and you have a pure play of telecom and cable (assuming DTV goes through and synergies with UVerse are met) but if T does this how likely are we to get a decreased dividend like WIN just did (from the total of the two parts). A perfect scenario would be no reduction in the T divy instead splitting it to still equal the $1.84 currently paid and have both companies increase the dividend. Perhaps I'm asking too much.

Long: T
    Jul 29 11:11 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Buying A House Is A Terrible Investment [View article]
    Why is renting vs buying even an issue? As you want to have shelter, somewhere:

Renting:
    -No tax breaks
    -No return on investment
    -Consistently rising cost (100% guaranteed live in a place 30 years and see how many times your landlord raises your rent and CAGR it from the first year to the last year I think you'll pretty much outpace inflation there)
    -Easier to move yes but still a cost to move with no boon of a sale ie more expense

Owning:
    -Tax Breaks
    -Extremely likely return on investment over 30 years
    -Inflation hedge historically (but doesn't have to follow inflation)
    -Can provide cash flow by collecting rent (if 2+ family house or investment house)

Pretty clear cut here on which will be better. Obviously like any investment stock, bonds, etc you don't want to overpay. News flash people are doing that with bonds right now and have historically done that with stocks. And you need to compare locations so you can't generalize this. Buying in NYC is no way like buying in Detroit.

"Buy land, they don't make it anymore." - Mark Twain
    Jun 16 12:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Rite Aid A Good Investment? [View article]
    Guided EPS at .3 to .4 for the year in 2015, some were expecting more. Here is an opportunity to get in while it fills the gap. Long-term still headed in the right direction.

Long RAD
    Jun 5 08:47 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yielding Stock Portfolio That Can Outperform By A Big Margin [View article]
    Agree Arie. NRZ has good management and its a hedge against rising rates actually due to the vast amounts of MSRs. It is an undiscovered REIT. Long NRZ
    May 27 12:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Am Doing With My AT&T/DirecTV Shares [View article]
    Can't argue with your sound strategy Alexander. Take your gains on DTV and assuming deal goes through you still have DTV business in your portfolio. Long T as well.
    May 27 09:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T Becomes A Short On DirecTV Deal [View article]

T will pay no reverse breakup fee if deal is not approved by regulators, however, Direct TV will pay a $1.4 billion fee to T if this does not get approval. Hooray for Management learning a lesson!
    May 19 09:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T Becomes A Short On DirecTV Deal [View article]
    I didn't mean to offend you if I did. I don't know anyone's investing history on here I can only assume things based on comments and articles. I guess it depends how you look at things. I view receiving a dividend as "winning" especially when its DRIP'ped.
    May 16 09:57 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T Becomes A Short On DirecTV Deal [View article]
    Owen,

Not sure if you know this or not but when you short a stock that pays a dividend you as the short seller have to pay the dividend to the shareholder you are borrowing the shares from. That is Ruffdog's point. The prospect of T shares being cheap on a valaution basis + the 5% dividend makes shorting T an extremely dangerous proposition. If you're short during the dividend period your down 5% at the start!

The stock doesn't always drop on the ex day either or even go lower by the dividend yield around that time. In theory it should but good earnings, and other news, technicals etc can easily trump the dividend payment.
    May 16 09:30 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T Becomes A Short On DirecTV Deal [View article]
    Agree: T is probably overpaying somewhat for Direct TV

Disagree: This is accretive and will provide a robust cable option for the company and an increase in subscribers from the purchase. The telecoms are in competition with each other and cable companies nowadays because of bundling. This would greatly enhance T's bundling offers and automatically make cable service available to the entire US. Currently U-Verse is pretty much on the west coast. The stock is also cheap on valuation as others stated before and the dividend is spectacular and NOT in danger due to tremendous FCF.

Long: T