Ryan Schroeder

View Ryan Schroeder's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Another Take On Why Timing The Market Does Not Work [View article]
    David. Double check your yield number on BUD. They pay semi-annual dividends but the first payment is larger than the second. I discuss that in my BUD article here: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Dec 17, 2014. 09:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • North Atlantic Drilling's Results Are Much Stronger Than The Market Reaction To Them Indicates [View article]
    The problem with buying the company is you assume the debt. which means you just assumed $2.5 billion in debt. This is the ultimate high-risk/high-reward stock. You are basically betting on whether or not NADL can get the Rosneft deal done or find other work for their rigs. Idle rigs and enormous debt are not a good combination.

Long SDRL
    Dec 9, 2014. 09:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Problem With 'Waiting For A Lower Price' [View article]
    "If you look back at history, you will see that the best time to buy stocks is whenever the S&P 500 is in the range of 20% to 50% off its all time high."

If you follow this logic, you wouldn't have been able to buy any stock in the last 4 years, hence missing out on 4 years of dividends and capital returns. That's the author's point in this article, and it's a good one.

At the same time, I'm definitely not buying any index funds at the current market levels, but there are plenty of individual stocks that are fairly valued or undervalued (see integrated oil majors).
    Dec 4, 2014. 02:11 PM | 27 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comparing America's 3 Largest Water Utilities [View article]
    Great Article Joseph. Water utilities tend to not get much notice as they are not "exciting" stocks. I personally have a $100/month drip with Aqua America. Definitely a great slow and steady stock. Sit back, reinvest the dividends, and add more every month and it's surprising how fast this "boring" stock grows. Nick DeBenedictis has been managing water utilities forever and has a long track record of success in all sorts of business climates.
    Nov 18, 2014. 08:39 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Q4 2014 Review: Let The Good Times Roll [View article]
    WestEnd - 8% Service Revenue growth is not a contraction.. Growth and contraction are antonyms. Since it's down from 12% growth last quarter, you can say slowing growth, but by definition, something that is growing cannot be contracting...
    Oct 21, 2014. 08:51 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: How To Play With A Falling Knife [View article]
    Streewise - Informative article. However I disagree with your final point: "the last thing shareholders want to see is a dividend cut." As a SDRL long, I would not bother me in the slightest if the dividend was halved (YOC for recent buyers would still be in the 6-7% range). This would give the company more flexibility in raising capital and perhaps improve it's credit rating as interest coverage would be much better.
    Sep 30, 2014. 09:15 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bed Bath & Beyond Is Worth Considering Off Of Earnings [View article]
    Josh - good, balanced article. I'm long BBBY b/c of the valuation and that awesome buy back. Nice to see a beat put a little life into the shares.
    Sep 24, 2014. 08:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Please Be Cautious, Apple Bulls [View article]
    I wouldn't read anything into the layoffs. Eliminating redundant Beats positions (HR, finance, etc.)
    Aug 1, 2014. 01:55 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Anheuser-Busch Inbev: Why I Finally Pulled The Trigger On The King Of Beers Company [View article]
    I think craft beer will definitely eat at volumes in the short term in the US. International volume is still very strong. I expect new products and pricing/distribution advantages to offset the US decrease in the long term.
    Aug 1, 2014. 12:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Stephen, I don't think that's the case, but ownership structure is pretty complex. Here the most recent one I was able to find http://bit.ly/1nZpAU6

What I can tell you is after the merger AB only had control of 2 of the 14 board of director positions.
    Aug 1, 2014. 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why It Can Be Self-Destructive To Compare Yourself To The S&P 500 [View article]
    You can find it here:

Jul 30, 2014. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Dead Money Stocks To Sell Now, Part II [View article]
    "Sorry, as mentally comforting as it may be to use financial gymnastics in an attempt to convince yourself that your portfolio hasn't declined in value, you're not up, you're down"

It is true that your portfolio has declined in dollar amount, but price and value are two different things. If I think the fair value of a security is $14, and i buy at $14, then the price declines to $12, as long as nothing has changed that impacts the fair value, the value of my portfolio is the same, even if the price I could get by selling would be lower.

Say I bought 100 shares of a company at $14 with a yield a touch over 7%. I'm paying $1400 for a income stream of $100/year. Now the stock price of the company goes down to $12. I still payed $1400 for an income stream of $100/year. Nothing changed. Even better, if I choose to re-invest those dividends, I can now pick up more shares at a higher yield than I would have been able to if the stock price hadn't fallen.

It all comes down to value, and how you define it.
    Jun 12, 2014. 12:02 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Dead Money Stocks To Sell Now [View article]
    Sell ARCP now but buy at $11.50? Does the .50c drop really change the value proposition here that much? Good way to rack up brokerage fees. Also if the stock drops 15%, and the yield is 8%. You are still up as long as you don't sell...

ARCP is high risk b/c a decent % of their tenants are now not investment grade, but their occupancy rate is high, and the dividend is fully covered by earnings. Hold through the volatility, sit back and collect that juicy 8% yield.
    Jun 11, 2014. 10:25 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PepsiCo Vs. Coca-Cola: Which One Is Better? [View article]
    Adnan

This is from Bloomberg on PepsiCo's investment plans in China:

"PepsiCo, which ranks fourth in China’s soft-drink market, has been investing in the world’s most-populous nation to catch up with leader Coca-Cola. Purchase, New York-based PepsiCo said in May last year that it plans to invest $2.5 billion in China in the food and beverage businesses over a three-year period, including in manufacturing plants and research and development."

The other major China development for PepsiCo is the bottler swap with Tingyi for 5% stake, with the option to increase to 20% next year.
    Jun 9, 2014. 07:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PepsiCo Vs. Coca-Cola: Which One Is Better? [View article]
    Slam

The margin on the snacks side is actually better than the beverage and the snacks growth rate is faster is well. This is one of the reasons why Peltz wants Frito-Lay spun off.
    Jun 9, 2014. 07:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment