Ryan Schroeder

View Ryan Schroeder's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Please Be Cautious, Apple Bulls [View article]
    I wouldn't read anything into the layoffs. Eliminating redundant Beats positions (HR, finance, etc.)
    Aug 1 01:55 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Anheuser-Busch Inbev: Why I Finally Pulled The Trigger On The King Of Beers Company [View article]
    I think craft beer will definitely eat at volumes in the short term in the US. International volume is still very strong. I expect new products and pricing/distribution advantages to offset the US decrease in the long term.
    Aug 1 12:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Stephen, I don't think that's the case, but ownership structure is pretty complex. Here the most recent one I was able to find http://bit.ly/1nZpAU6

What I can tell you is after the merger AB only had control of 2 of the 14 board of director positions.
    Aug 1 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why It Can Be Self-Destructive To Compare Yourself To The S&P 500 [View article]
    You can find it here:

Jul 30 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Dead Money Stocks To Sell Now, Part II [View article]
    "Sorry, as mentally comforting as it may be to use financial gymnastics in an attempt to convince yourself that your portfolio hasn't declined in value, you're not up, you're down"

It is true that your portfolio has declined in dollar amount, but price and value are two different things. If I think the fair value of a security is $14, and i buy at $14, then the price declines to $12, as long as nothing has changed that impacts the fair value, the value of my portfolio is the same, even if the price I could get by selling would be lower.

Say I bought 100 shares of a company at $14 with a yield a touch over 7%. I'm paying $1400 for a income stream of $100/year. Now the stock price of the company goes down to $12. I still payed $1400 for an income stream of $100/year. Nothing changed. Even better, if I choose to re-invest those dividends, I can now pick up more shares at a higher yield than I would have been able to if the stock price hadn't fallen.

It all comes down to value, and how you define it.
    Jun 12 12:02 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Dead Money Stocks To Sell Now [View article]
    Sell ARCP now but buy at $11.50? Does the .50c drop really change the value proposition here that much? Good way to rack up brokerage fees. Also if the stock drops 15%, and the yield is 8%. You are still up as long as you don't sell...

ARCP is high risk b/c a decent % of their tenants are now not investment grade, but their occupancy rate is high, and the dividend is fully covered by earnings. Hold through the volatility, sit back and collect that juicy 8% yield.
    Jun 11 10:25 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PepsiCo Vs. Coca-Cola: Which One Is Better? [View article]
    Adnan

This is from Bloomberg on PepsiCo's investment plans in China:

"PepsiCo, which ranks fourth in China’s soft-drink market, has been investing in the world’s most-populous nation to catch up with leader Coca-Cola. Purchase, New York-based PepsiCo said in May last year that it plans to invest $2.5 billion in China in the food and beverage businesses over a three-year period, including in manufacturing plants and research and development."

The other major China development for PepsiCo is the bottler swap with Tingyi for 5% stake, with the option to increase to 20% next year.
    Jun 9 07:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PepsiCo Vs. Coca-Cola: Which One Is Better? [View article]
    Slam

The margin on the snacks side is actually better than the beverage and the snacks growth rate is faster is well. This is one of the reasons why Peltz wants Frito-Lay spun off.
    Jun 9 07:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ARCP boss skips golf; set to earn a fortune [View news story]
    Could make 100M over 5 years... Would be nice to see the terms. If the stock price outperforms over 5 years I have no problem with that. Comes out to 20M a year, or slightly higher than the highest paid REIT CEO last year. As long as the "outperformance" plan is significantly stringent, this is a non-issue for me.

Long ARCP.
    May 30 09:49 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill EPS of $6.23 [View news story]
    May want to include the full paragraph so as not to confuse people... Read to the bottom, consolidated revenues are $1.44B.

Revenues for the first quarter of 2014 were US$1,221 million compared to $1,469 million in the fourth quarter of 2014. The decrease is primarily due to the deconsolidation of the Seadrill Partners and downtime on the West Alpha, West Phoenix, West Pegasus, and West Polaris. Offsetting these items was the inclusion of the West Auriga, West Tellus, West Vela, West Castor, and West Telesto for a full quarter. On a consolidated basis revenues for the first quarter were US$1,436 million.
    May 28 08:06 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Look At A New Dividend Investing Strategy [View article]
    TDG - I use margin in my regular account (non tax-advantaged). Using full leverage is very dangerous unless you have sufficient cash reserves to cover what you are borrowing. Margin calls can wipe you out faster than you'd think possible if the market tanks. I generally never go over 20% leverage so I can withstand any reasonable swing without having to worry about a margin call.

My strategy is similar to Charlie Munger's. Only use leverage for high conviction ideas. And have an exit plan. I bought APPL on margin last year, and recently
    sold just enough shares to get me back to cash neutral.

Also 7.5% is probably a more realistic rate for you to expect. That is the rate I have at Scottrade.
    May 5 03:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Aegean Marine Petroleum Will Fall At Least 23% [View article]
    ANW is up about 100% from your last articles... Not saying I completely disagree with your analysis, but playing the short game in this stock market is a losing proposition. So many great companies out there to go long, why go short?
    Apr 2 11:08 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Short AmerisourceBergen: There's No Easy Cure For What Ails This Drug Wholesaler [View article]
    Any thoughts on the major anticipated boost to generics sales (vs. brand name) due to Obamacare?
    Mar 21 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Clorox: A Quality Dividend-Paying Machine To Consider [View article]
    Only thing I can think of is "Billy Mays, here!" type products. (May he rest in peace)

Funny thing is none other than Church and Dwight now owns OxiClean.
    Mar 20 08:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Clorox: A Quality Dividend-Paying Machine To Consider [View article]
    First, he said he was looking to swallow some business whole this year.

Total size would be well within his range without reaching (current market cap a little over $11 billion). And mainly it's the type of business buffet likes. Boring, with few surprises, and throws off a ton of cash.
    Mar 19 06:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment