Ryan Schroeder

View Ryan Schroeder's Comments BY TICKER:
  • I Hit Apple's Last Two Quarters EPS Results: Here Are My December Quarter Projections [View article]
    When you hit EPS for APPL on the nose 2 quarters in a row, that's pretty impressive. If you don't promote yourself, why would you expect any one else to?
    Jan 27, 2014. 10:18 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM results not impressing sell-side [View news story]
    The further the shares go down the easier it will be for IBM to hit their $20 EPS by 2015 goal. Holding now, and will look to add below $150
    Jan 22, 2014. 09:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bed Bath & Beyond This Earning Report [View article]
    madbeachman:

Your skepticism about growth returning to the mean is warranted. I'd agree future Net Income and Revenue growth will be less than the close to 15% per annum experienced in the past. But I think 5% Net Income growth is very attainable. Add that to the buyback and your looking at some solid EPS gains in the future.

I guess the main point of the article was there's no way to predict future growth with 100% accuracy, but looking at past performance can give us a pretty good clue.

Thanks for commenting.
    Jan 18, 2014. 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Corporation misses by $0.01, beats on revenue [View news story]
    This is one thing that drives me crazy. Companies that pretend to champion shareholder value by doing buybacks, but shares outstanding actually increase...

To quote WB: If compensation isn't an expense, then what is it?

This is actually one area I would actually like to see some legislation introduced as it is woefully under commented on.

In today's world you can pay an exec a salary of 100k + 400k of stock options and only the 100k counts against earnings. And they actually get to count the 400k of stock options they repurchased as "giving back to shareholders."

It's funny. Everyone complains about executive compensation, but no one does anything to change this ridiculous accounting rule...
    Jan 16, 2014. 05:20 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Corporation misses by $0.01, beats on revenue [View news story]
    I bought in Oct 2012. Up 30% when I sold yesterday. Wouldn't exactly call a 30% return in 15 months dead money.
    Jan 16, 2014. 05:08 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Not To Invest In Dividend Stocks [View article]
    To Mistake #4... What are some good higher-yielding foreign stocks you would recommend?
    Jan 16, 2014. 07:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Vs. Growth, Part III: And The Winner Is... [View article]
    This day and age it's hard to find anyone paying 4% aside from tobacco companies or utilities that don't grow their dividend. Long term it's better to buy a 2%er that grows it div 8%+ than a 4% with negligible growth.

The exception to this being REITs, which if you can hold in a tax advantaged account, offer some pretty enticing initial yields and growth.
    Jan 12, 2014. 09:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google May Be The Most Overrated Stock [View article]
    What specific Google products were you thinking of? iPad and iPhone are two of the most impressive products (in terms of profits) ever.
    Jan 9, 2014. 10:38 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Charge, STAG Looks More Like A Rhino Than A REIT [View article]
    Great analysis here Brad. I'm definitely looking to add REITs to my Roth at these levels. If you had to pick just one to invest in today, would you choose O or STAG?
    Aug 26, 2013. 09:27 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Capital gets new CFO [View news story]
    NLY was a great company, hit a rough patch at a rough time after the passing of the man that made the company what is was, Michael Farrell.
    Aug 19, 2013. 09:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    Apple doesn't care about market share... Their strategy is to make a high quality product and sell it at a premium. Which is why their % of smartphone profits blows everyone else out of the water.
    Jul 26, 2013. 08:19 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Still Offers Nothing Bullish [View article]
    It depends on your investing horizon and goals. My goal is to generate a reliable, diversified, and (most importantly) growing income stream. When I buy a company I generally have no intention of selling it unless something has fundamentaly changed since the time of my investment (lower growth, stagnating dividends, incompetent management, etc..). I have bought APPL recently with the expectation of 1-2 years of low to no growth followed by a consistent 8-12% 5 year earning growth rate (driven in part by buybacks). In addition to earnings growth I am expecting a 10% annual dividend growth, which considering their low payout ratio, is pretty conservative.

If you are a short term investor, I'd agree APPL is not a stock you want a part of, long or short.
    Jun 27, 2013. 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Still Offers Nothing Bullish [View article]
    It's hard for me to take your article seriously after reading your comments. I'm struggling to find one that isn't sarcastic or intended to put someone down.

If you truly feel as strongly against Apple as you seem to, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and short the stock?
    Jun 26, 2013. 09:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Still Offers Nothing Bullish [View article]
    I agree that for the short term there is nothing exciting about Apple the stock. However despite flatening/declining earnings and slowing revenue growth Apple the company is still expecting to earn over $38 billion in profits this year, and over $40 billion next year. That's pretty exciting to me.

The funny thing is, the longer the stock price stays depressed now, the more value this generates for long-term shareholder as the company is able to take more shares off the market through their massive buckback program (the largest history) than they would if the price was higher.

In the short term, all the factors you mentioned in the article may come in to play, but in the long term only P/E will. All else equal (I realize how broad and vague this statement is, but for the purpose of argument...) the success of an investment in the long term is going to come down to EPS growth and P/E compression or expansion. As long as you buy solid companies w/ high probability of future growth (even if it is only 8%-12%) at a P/E below historical norms, it is very difficult to make a poor investment.
    Jun 25, 2013. 11:41 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple (AAPL): FQ2 EPS of $10.09 beats by $0.02. Revenue of $43.6B (+11% Y/Y) beats by $1.1B. 37.4M iPhones, 19.5M iPads, just under 4M Macs. Expects FQ3 revenue of $33.5B-$35.5B, below $39.3B consensus. Buyback increased by $50B. Shares halted. CC at 5PM ET (webcast). (PR[View news story]
    jbcm - APPL is returning 100 billion to shareholders in the current program, but only 60 billions in share buybacks. Even so we are looking a share count reduction of between 100k and 150k shares between now and 2015, depending on share price.
    May 23, 2013. 11:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment