Ryan Schroeder

View Ryan Schroeder's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    Apple doesn't care about market share... Their strategy is to make a high quality product and sell it at a premium. Which is why their % of smartphone profits blows everyone else out of the water.
    Jul 26, 2013. 08:19 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Still Offers Nothing Bullish [View article]
    It depends on your investing horizon and goals. My goal is to generate a reliable, diversified, and (most importantly) growing income stream. When I buy a company I generally have no intention of selling it unless something has fundamentaly changed since the time of my investment (lower growth, stagnating dividends, incompetent management, etc..). I have bought APPL recently with the expectation of 1-2 years of low to no growth followed by a consistent 8-12% 5 year earning growth rate (driven in part by buybacks). In addition to earnings growth I am expecting a 10% annual dividend growth, which considering their low payout ratio, is pretty conservative.

If you are a short term investor, I'd agree APPL is not a stock you want a part of, long or short.
    Jun 27, 2013. 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Still Offers Nothing Bullish [View article]
    It's hard for me to take your article seriously after reading your comments. I'm struggling to find one that isn't sarcastic or intended to put someone down.

If you truly feel as strongly against Apple as you seem to, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and short the stock?
    Jun 26, 2013. 09:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Still Offers Nothing Bullish [View article]
    I agree that for the short term there is nothing exciting about Apple the stock. However despite flatening/declining earnings and slowing revenue growth Apple the company is still expecting to earn over $38 billion in profits this year, and over $40 billion next year. That's pretty exciting to me.

The funny thing is, the longer the stock price stays depressed now, the more value this generates for long-term shareholder as the company is able to take more shares off the market through their massive buckback program (the largest history) than they would if the price was higher.

In the short term, all the factors you mentioned in the article may come in to play, but in the long term only P/E will. All else equal (I realize how broad and vague this statement is, but for the purpose of argument...) the success of an investment in the long term is going to come down to EPS growth and P/E compression or expansion. As long as you buy solid companies w/ high probability of future growth (even if it is only 8%-12%) at a P/E below historical norms, it is very difficult to make a poor investment.
    Jun 25, 2013. 11:41 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple (AAPL): FQ2 EPS of $10.09 beats by $0.02. Revenue of $43.6B (+11% Y/Y) beats by $1.1B. 37.4M iPhones, 19.5M iPads, just under 4M Macs. Expects FQ3 revenue of $33.5B-$35.5B, below $39.3B consensus. Buyback increased by $50B. Shares halted. CC at 5PM ET (webcast). (PR[View news story]
    jbcm - APPL is returning 100 billion to shareholders in the current program, but only 60 billions in share buybacks. Even so we are looking a share count reduction of between 100k and 150k shares between now and 2015, depending on share price.
    May 23, 2013. 11:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This REIT Is Approaching Bubble Territory [View article]
    One thing to consider is the possibility of long-term depressed interest rates that make "safe" 4% yields highly attractive. Which could raise the "normal" P/FFO range. Still a hold above 50 IMO, but this is one of those buy and forget about it stocks I love to own.
    May 23, 2013. 07:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Valuation Is Not Rational [View article]
    Ffuzetti - It's an estimate for total share dilution.
    Apr 30, 2013. 07:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Valuation Is Not Rational [View article]
    globalbusy - Thanks for reading. They announced in the earnings call they would be returning approximately 30 billion per year so I used that for my model . You are correct, if they used more money to buy back shares this year it would be more effective at the assumed prices.
    Apr 30, 2013. 07:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Valuation Is Not Rational [View article]
    mbogosi - This was just a pure earnings valuation model. It does not take into account any balance sheet items. But the cash hoard definitely adds an extra margin of safety to the investment.
    Apr 29, 2013. 09:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When Dividend Reinvestment Is The Right Decision [View article]
    David

Thanks for commenting. Whenever I have an invest-able amount of money built up (around 1k) I like to go ahead and invest it rather than sit on it. I know I may miss out on opportunities by not keeping a cash pile available for pullbacks, but this way I don't have to worry about market timing and I don't have to root for a pullback so I can get fully invested.

Some companies I like at current levels include CVX, APPL, JNJ, BUD, and AFL.
    Apr 27, 2013. 03:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • When Dividend Reinvestment Is The Right Decision [View article]
    thenoffya

Thanks for your comment. Both are very good points. I feel that I do have an advantage over most investors because of my personal experience and the fact that most individual investors under-perform the market as a whole over time.

Two your second point... I currently own shares of GIS. they are up about 30% since I purchased them. I probably wouldn't allocate new capital toward GIS at current prices, but considering their track record, I feel like their ability to generate above average returns over a long period of time still makes them a solid investment. Finding investments that I don't need to think about regardless of the short-term performance of the stock price is one of my highest priorities.
    Apr 25, 2013. 12:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Just Invested In Shareholders [View article]
    "the number of shares outstanding increases as dividends are reinvested."

The shares outstanding would only increase with dividends if Apple paid stock dividends, which they don't. Generally the main reason for the increase is employee/management stock options or warrants...
    Apr 24, 2013. 08:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Apple Repurchase Shares? [View article]
    Djee

After the following overhaul's:

-added 10mil dilutive shares/year
    -assumed share-price of $400 for 2013, then increasing $100 each year.
    -assumed dividend increase of 15% per year

I came up with 825 million shares outstanding at the end of 2015 under the current plan.

I will be writing a follow-up article that uses this number, plus estimates for 2016 to come up with a more accurate fair value for Apple.
    Apr 23, 2013. 09:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ross, I strongly disagree. Simplified: Companies exist to generate earnings. Buybacks increase EPS. Check the link to the article I posted above to see what this will do for EPS. If a $50 billion buyback was executed this year and Net Income held steady, EPS would be over $50.00 for 2013. Pretty good.
    Apr 23, 2013. 05:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I wrote an article on Apple share buyback yesterday. Actually a very good thing for the future: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Apr 23, 2013. 04:41 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment