Ryan Schroeder

View Ryan Schroeder's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Activision Blizzard: Why Earnings Will Decline [View article]
    Me and Matt have gone back and forth on ATVI in the past, but he does make some good points. Where we disagree is on ATVI's continued ability to innovate and lead the video game industry. I just closed a 3-year long on Friday for a modest gain. The market hates this stock, which is why I finally decided to sell out.
    Feb 11 10:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whisper Number Impact: Earnings Preview For Exelon [View article]
    You still have never addressed my original issue with your reply to MWinMd. Instead you chose to attack me personally. How's that mature?

If your comment wasn't so defensive and full of sarcastic comments towards a reader's genuine curiosity, I wouldn't have bothered posting anything in the first place. It just bother's me when people think they are better than/their opinion counts more than everyone else just b/c they have something published here..
    Feb 8 12:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whisper Number Impact: Earnings Preview For Exelon [View article]
    I think threatening to sue people over their input in a poll is immature now, and in a few years when I've gained more experience and maturity, I will still think threatening to sue people over there input in a poll in immature.
    Feb 7 11:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Whisper Number Impact: Earnings Preview For Exelon [View article]
    rofl. This shows what a joke the whisper number is:

"Can you come to our site and post 'big loss' for a company? Sure. Will that number be accepted? Maybe, maybe not (and in doing so you're violating our terms of site use and may end up with a lawsuit)"

Now we are suing people for their poll answers. Good luck with that. I hope SA bans this garbage.
    Feb 6 11:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Activision Blizzard: Why Earnings Will Decline [View article]
    Mathias, I am slightly curious. This is your 2nd negative article on ATVI in the past four months, yet you aren't short the stock. Are you considering a short position?
    Feb 2 10:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Activision Blizzard: Why Earnings Will Decline [View article]
    The basis of your argument is I disagree and that its up for interpretation... Hard to come up with a counter point to that.

And as to any game getting 10M subscribers, there's an easy macro argument to that. When WOW came out world population was <6 billion. Not its over 7 billion. When you look and # of people in the world with internet then and now, then increase is absurd. As world population grows and the world modernizes, markets will continue increasing. I'd be shocked if Titan doesn't get 10M subscribers when it come out (if it does indeed turn out to be on a subscription basis as expected).

Also - LOL has over 30 million users.. it is F2P, but clearly demonstrates that high numbers of subscribers isn't out of the question.
    Jan 31 06:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Activision Blizzard: Why Earnings Will Decline [View article]
    I agree with arguments 1 - 3. Your big miss is argument 4. You just say its unlikely Titan will be as successful. Mean-reversion theory doesn't apply to video games. The more people that play, the more people have friends that play, and the more people that have friends play, the more people that play, ad infinitum. It's the social media theory, and the reason Facebook has as many users as it does and MySpace is dead.

A better argument would be that F2P games like GW2 will cannibalize MMORPGs and that the genre will not be popular going forward.

Also, not mentioning Call of Duty's successor, slated for 2014/2015, which is being developed by Bungie, who created CODs only real competitor in terms of sales, Halo, (Battlefield is actually a very good game as well, just never had the sales #'s), seems like a miss.

Plus the fact that Vivendi is trying to unload its stake in ATVI is a big wild card. Massive share buy-back or outright buyout potential could be big-time catalyst for the stock.
    Jan 31 05:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Vs. Growth [View article]
    nsl1. The thing that makes this difficult is that generally growth companies are plowing all of their earnings back into their business and not paying out dividends. The closest thing to what your asking for would be recovery plays like BAC and F.
    Jan 31 05:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top 20 Dividend Growth Stocks For 2013 [View article]
    ETF - hard to disagree with any of your choices. Might be nice to add P/E (or a valuation metric of your choice) to see which ones are better buys now.

My #1 dividend growth stock for the next 10 years is AAPL. I realize you didn't include it here b/c it isn't DGI yet, but I'm thinking DGR of 20% going forward.
    Jan 17 12:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Vs. Growth, Part II [View article]
    Brad thanks for putting this together. It will be interesting to see if applying a stricter screen makes a difference.

Also LO split 3-for-1 today, so that dividend yield is 3x too high (google isn't always right about everything).
    Jan 17 12:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Vs. Growth, Part II [View article]
    Mike, thanks for your comment. For the purpose of this experiment I will not be making any changes or dividend reinvestment inside these portfolios. I want to see which will perform better without any intervention. The reason for this is when I actively manage a portfolio, I am prone to making emotional decisions from time to time (part of the reason I'm a huge fan of buy-and-hold dividend growth investing - takes a lot of the emotion out of it). Also I have very negative personal feelings towards stop-losses. I kinda feel like they just play right into hedge funds/big players hands (also unless there is a fundamental change in a company, if I like it at $20, then I will really like it at $15).

In my personal portfolios I'm a big fan of dividend reinvestment. For some good ideas on automatic vs. choice reinvestment I'd check out one of Tim McAllenan's articles on the topic.

Jan 17 12:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Vs. Growth, Part II [View article]
    Brad - I'm sure that would be an informative exercise. I'd certainly be interested in seeing the results. The strategy I used in picking these stocks was simply to target large-cap, well-known, and diversified equities. It would be very interesting to see which portfolio performed better.
    Jan 15 11:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Vs. Growth, Part II [View article]
    rnsmth - Can you elaborate on your comments?
    Jan 15 11:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Vs. Growth, Part II [View article]
    Davel - I completely agree that over the past 10 years Apple has been a growth stock. I'm just saying that from here on out it's going to be a dividend stock. It currently meets part 1 of your criteria. And I would be willing to wager a large sum of money that 5 years from now it will meet parts 2 and 3 as well. Our only disagreement appears to be whether we can start classifying it as a dividend stock now or 5 years from now.
    Jan 15 11:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Vs. Growth, Part II [View article]
    Davel - Do you have a concrete, universal way to define growth stocks?

There was a time where Microsoft was the quintessential growth stock. I think we can all agree that it is safely in the dividend category now.

Apple was a growth company. Now it is a dividend company. At the very least, the investing community is treating it as a dividend stock. Generally growth stocks don't trade 11 times earnings.
    Jan 15 05:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment