Ryan Schroeder

View Ryan Schroeder's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Apple: Is It Really Too Cheap To Ignore? [View article]
    Alternatively, they could uses their massive cash hoard to issue cheap debt and buy-back shares, making it a win-win for themselves and investors by massively boosting EPS. I wrote a piece about buyback possibilities here: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Apr 23, 2013. 08:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Apple Repurchase Shares? [View article]
    Cagdas, Thanks for commenting. As I mentioned in the article, all these figures were calculated using strict PE analysis. I took possible Net Income scenarios, then applied potential total shares outstanding, then gave the EPS result a PE based on the growth to determine share price. For the scenario you are referring to, the perpetual negative NI growth warranted a PE of 5.

I tend to agree with you that $180 is not realistic, even for 2016. My point for the article was to highlight how undervalued Apple is by conventional earning valuation standards, even if you take out you all of Apple's other assets.
    Apr 23, 2013. 07:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Already (Essentially) A Private Company [View article]
    I agree the buyback needs to be upped. Here's an article I wrote on the potential EPS boosts from different levels of buybacks: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Apr 22, 2013. 10:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More on Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) Q1 earnings: Comparable restaurant sales growth of 1% Y/Y was hurt by fewer trading days this year. Operating margin of 26.3% off 110 bps from a year ago. Food costs at 33% of revenue up 80 bps. Opened 48 restaurants during Q1. Management expects 165-180 new restaurant openings for all 2013 and flat-low single digit comparable sales. Earnings call started at 4:30 ET. Shares +5.7% AH. (PR[View news story]
    Atkins - Not a very good argument. "Priced too high" is very vague. Try using facts:

Chipotle Steak Burrito 7.10 after tax.
    Taco Bell Cantina Steak burrito 6.50 after tax.

If you compare Chipotle to the cost of eating at home, maybe, but none of its competitors offer a similar product at a significantly cheaper price.
    Apr 18, 2013. 09:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investors Should Keep Apple In Their Portfolios [View article]
    Added more at 408. Also have a large buy order at 385 if it gets there. Patience will win out for long-term investors here. It's going to be a wild ride, but those who stay the course will be rewarded.
    Apr 17, 2013. 10:30 AM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: 4 Reasons Why This Stock Is A Strong Sell [View article]
    Here's a good reason to not care what this guy says. Over 1200 followers, but only following 1. Clearly doesn't care what anyone else thinks.
    Apr 9, 2013. 10:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Texas Hold 'Em Tournaments And Value Investing [View article]
    Chris

I am an avid poker player as well as investor and have been wanting to write an article on the similarities for a long time, but have been too busy/lazy to get around to it. Great job with the article, I think you succeeded in covering the poker concepts well enough to be understood by non-poker players, but still in depth enough to not bore those of use who understand the game.

You also may have motivated me to write an article (or two) expanding on the topic, because I believe there are a lot of lessons that are common to both areas.
    Apr 2, 2013. 02:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The "Fed put" stocks have enjoyed for the past four years will fade in H2 and send the S&P 500 below 1,400 by year's end, Wells Fargo's Gina Martin Adams believes. If the economy improves, expect the Fed to be more hard pressed in justifying near-zero interest rates and easing efforts; mere chatter about an unwind in 2014 will be enough to weigh on stocks. [View news story]
    Her argument is that an improving economy will send the stock market down. Makes sense...
    Mar 25, 2013. 07:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple (AAPL) is upgraded to Buy by BTIG's Walter Piecyk, who makes the move acknowledging the company is set to report an ugly Q1 miss and soft guidance. Piecyk notes he made his April 2012 downgrade ahead of what was surely going to be (and was) a blowout quarter. Shares +1.1% premarket. [View news story]
    Robert. The pullback has already happened. Now's the time to add. With every analyst predicting "miserable" Q1 #'s, even poor #'s will help the stock to recover.
    Mar 14, 2013. 09:51 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Last Year I Said Sell -- Buy Now? [View article]
    John, a word of advice: "The risks of being out of the game far outweigh the risks of being in it."
    Mar 13, 2013. 03:05 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Role Of BP's Dividend In Preserving Your Wealth Over The Medium Term [View article]
    Definitely a huge advantage to owning companies that can whether some major storms. Interesting timing on this article. Just added some BP to my Roth this morning.

Any worries about the continuing litigation?
    Mar 12, 2013. 03:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple (AAPL +1.5%) has shot higher in afternoon trading. Rumors about a special dividend appear to be the trigger. (earlier: I, II[View news story]
    Gen, can you post a link to where you got that info?
    Mar 11, 2013. 04:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Is It Really Too Cheap To Ignore? [View article]
    I attempt (and sometimes fail) to put aside emotion when making investment decisions. When the "terrible sentiment surrounding the company" is only coming from analysts (not consumers) it doesn't bother me.

In today's world the media doesn't get to decide what is "cool." I pay more attention to what I see on social media when I am considering "cool factor." I still see a lot more posts and tweets about people loving their Apple products than Samsung products (though I will say I may be biased as I am an APPL shareholder and thus more likely to notice comments about APPL) .

As far as the Samsung ads go, I would NEVER feature a direct competitor in an ad. If your product is that good is should stand on its own merit. Bottom line is you are giving them free press, whether you are making fun of them or not. And as far as coolest commercial goes, I have to give it to the Surface RT with the click on keyboard. The good news is that product quality wins out in the end, which is why I think you will see Apple back on top in 2014.

If I have to sit through a bumpy ride to get there, it doesn't bother me, b/c I will still be banking a 2% (and hopefully growing) dividend on the way.
    Mar 8, 2013. 05:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Is It Really Too Cheap To Ignore? [View article]
    I was a bit surprised at the conclusion of your article. The whole time you are painting a rather exciting picture of APPL as a long term investment, then you say not to buy b/c Cook does not care about the short term stock price.

I realize his apparent lack of concern for short-term shareholders is troublesome in this day and age to most people, but I couldn't be happier b/c it has given me a change to get into an amazing company at a ground-floor price. Also there's a pretty famous guy from Omaha who couldn't care less what the price of his stock is in the short term...

The only thing I think Cook could be doing better for creating long-term value is pursuing a more aggressive buy-back plan with the stock price at these levels.
    Mar 8, 2013. 01:58 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Learn From Andy Zaky's Mistake [View article]
    HyperionT

I'd strongly recommend not trading on technical analysis (there is 0 proof it is successful in the long term). Sure, APPL could drop below $400, but no one can consistently guess the short-term fluctuation of an individual stock (which this article illustrated well). My recommendation would be to buy now with the intention of holding for 2-5 years (or longer). If the possibility of a further drop concerns you I'd recommend $400 puts (or $350 to be more conservative) or bullish put spreads (If you don't have 40k in cash to put up).
    Mar 8, 2013. 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment