S.R.T.Z Investments

View S.R.T.Z Investments' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Another Look At Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Never thought of it that way :-)
    Dec 1 02:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks user!
    Dec 1 02:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hello David,
    Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it!
    I know I could have chosen other stocks that would have provided different and better (or worse) results. I know and greatly appreciate David Fish's database.
    Alternatively, as I answered another comment, I could have also tested the effect of inflation, value of time (future/present value) and dividend reinvestment and these would have probably affected the results as well. I leave them out for now, I'll have a look at them in another article down the road.
    However, I used these stocks as they are some of THE most commonly used names in articles I see about dividend growth investing.
    I completely agree that "better" is usually relative and/but think most people will do wisely to use a mix of the two methods.
    Either way - my main goal in the article was to make people think their approach once again. The flood of comments shows me I achieved that and I appreciate each one of them.
    Thanks again!
    Dec 1 02:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi jokingme,
    I usually use options only for hedging, while I realize the advantage in your approach, it requires constant examination of the price of the stocks in your portfolio. I'm not there... don't have the time or will to do so.
    If you can do that AND know what you're doing - you'll probably get to your objectives faster.
    Dec 1 02:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Zanby,
    Generally speaking I like bonds, mainly TIPS, but with bonds timing is crucial. The problem is that unless you hold them to maturity, their price is extremely interest-rate sensitive.
    I'm afraid when the interest rate starts rising - the bonds will fall hard.
    You should always ask yourself why a company pays a high dividend- is it because its price should rise (=quality company & dividends) or because it about to cut its dividend (=the price fell because of real problems).
    I hope that answers your question.
    Thanks for the comment!
    Dec 1 02:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Look At Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Thanks so much combat18, I appreciate it !
    Dec 1 02:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Look At Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Absolutely correct. I also left out the effect of inflation.
    I just wanted to show how a widely accepted approach may be wrong in more than a few situations.
    Thanks for the sharp observation!
    Dec 1 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks mbkelly75,
    As I said in the article, while I find it almost impossible to look 20 years ahead, I agree you constantly have to monitor each stock in your portfolio.
    Anyway, if you held on to your stock for over 50 years, and did just fine...just keep doing whatever it is you did so far.
    Thanks for the comment
    Dec 1 02:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Jeff,
    I chose that period as this was the time for which my benchmark stock - SNH has data, if I could I would have taken a longer period. As I said in the article, a different choice of period of time or stocks would have probably provided other results.
    Dec 1 02:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks chowder,
    I enjoy the comments & discussions I see here, they make me realize I made people think things over...
    8.25% annual growth is a worthy and not that easy objective, good luck with that.
    Dec 1 01:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for your insights,
    If only we had a crystal ball...
    Unfortunately we can't see ahead when the break even point will take place, so we have to evaluate in advance and in my opinion - use a mix of the two types.
    However, I think not caring about the price is a mistaken approach, a stock won't keep rising its dividend if there is a fundamental problem that will hit its price.
    Dec 1 01:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi ekturner3,
    There are 3 interesting factors that I didn't account for and can play an important role in the result:
    1. Dividend reinvestment.
    2. Inflation.
    3. The value of time (future value vs. present value).
    Each one alone can transfer you from loss to profit and vice versa.
    Maybe I'll get into their effect in my next articles.
    Thanks for the comment.
    Dec 1 01:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Look At Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    I agree with richjoy403. Although there are at least 2 more years of low interest, this does seem like a dividend that will be cut sooner or later. At that point you will lose both part of the dividend (although it will still probably be quite high) and even more of the underlying asset. Risky. Is it worth it? Depends on your risk appetite.
    Dec 1 01:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Look At Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Absolutely correct, I enjoyed reading your comment. I personally would go for a combination of both...
    Nov 30 02:44 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hello richjoy403,
    I gave SNH as an example because it was an easy one... a stable company with high dividends and great business model, that beat many of the big names easily.
    There are other good names in other industries that support (or contradict...) my point. I agree with your comments on the REIT sector.
    Thanks!