SA Editor Yigal Grayeff

View SA Editor Yigal Grayeff's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Wall Street Breakfast: EU CPI Data Adds To Deflation Fears [View article]
    Thanks again
    Oct 16, 2014. 01:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: EU CPI Data Adds To Deflation Fears [View article]
    Thanks everybody for your nice comments.

I'm just filling in for a few days on WSB while the regular writer, Yoel Minkoff, is on vacation.
    Oct 15, 2014. 07:01 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Futures point to small opening bounce [View news story]
    Thanks for the spot - the sentence about the Nikkei has been taken out.
    Oct 13, 2014. 11:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ditto - and thanks.
    May 31, 2014. 04:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi everybody,

Thank you so much for all your kind comments and wishes, which have been fairly overwhelming.

deercreekvols - I love the quote and blessing you gave me: "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars. May you reach the stars."

That's exactly they way I'm trying to manage the business - I have a vision but realize you have to stay realistic at all times.

Robert.b.ferguson asked if I'm considering a voice coach - I'm on the point of bringing someone in. She's young but comes across really well.
    Grooming people for talent competitions isn't something we promise, but we did have a singer here who did very well in one recently.

2harddrive recommended giving the "big brass instruments a try too". - It's something we're looking at and I'm going to be meeting a Saxophone teacher next week.

Buckoux - Thanks for saving your good French for me - I feel honored. Merci beaucoup.

al roman asked which company I would invest in if I only had once choice - Wow, what a question.

Firstly - I have to make a confession. I don't actually invest, apart from in pension and mutual funds and the like. My main reason is that as a writer of business and economic news, I haven't wanted to become caught in a conflict of interests, nor accidentally fall foul of any company or government rules.

However, if I did invest, I'm not sure which company I would choose. Netflix looks like a terrific business and I like its policy of building for the long term and ignoring Wall St's obsession with short-term results. Google and Amazon are similar in that respect, although I wonder if the latter is stretched too thinly. I'm also impressed with how Facebook seems to have cracked mobile advertising.

In saying that, I'm attracted by the "hidden gems" with lower market caps - a company worth $1B has a better chance of increasing its valuation tenfold than Microsoft has of even doubling its market cap. The "long tale" is an area that Seeking Alpha is especially good at servicing.

I spent five years at a VC and this has influenced they way I look at investing, as I think the principals can be the same. Among other things, I would look at product, size of actual addressable market - as opposed to the size of the general market that companies say they are targeting - technology (what's the barrier to entry?), management, corporate culture, transparency, risks, governance, competition and track record.

In addition, I prefer the Warren Buffett approach to investing for the long term rather than being caught up in the swings of daily trading.

That's my short missive on investing, but without skin in the game, obviously feel free to tear it apart or even ignore.

And finally to surfcove's question about who my favorite musician is - I realize that this doesn't quite answer your question, but for me, the Beatles are the greatest band that ever lived and probably ever will live.

Thank you all once again - I think you're great.

Yigal

May 29, 2014. 02:01 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    PS: At the danger of this turning into an Oscar acceptance speech, thanks also to Gaurav Batavia and Vince Martin for their help in putting WSB together every day, and to Seeking Alpha founder and CEO David Jackson for building such a great company from scratch. I wish it only success.
    May 23, 2014. 06:42 AM | 23 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dear Readers,

As some of you may be aware, I have been serving you up Wall Street Breakfast for just over three years.

However, today's edition is set to be my last, as I am leaving Seeking Alpha to pursue other opportunities. And I really am pursuing other opportunities, as I have bought a music school that I am going to manage, although it's probably not as grand as it sounds. Ours - I have a partner - is but a modest establishment, with two fully equipped rehearsal rooms, one of which can double as a recording studio.

We offer private lessons for a number of instruments such as guitar, drums and piano. Most interestingly, I think, we form bands by bringing together people of similar ability, musical taste and age, provide them with instruction, and organize concerts for them. We don't promise to create the next big thing, but rather we aim to give people a great experience and to improve them as musicians. We are for hobbyists rather than for professionals.

In the grand sweep of history and the infinite expanse of the universe - and even in comparison with the fare served up on WSB - this deal is about as consequential as a butterfly flapping its wings in a hurricane.

However, as you can imagine, in my world it's huge and rather scary, and if nothing else, even if this venture proves to be a total failure, I will have gained valuable experience. Hopefully, it will be more that, and the vision is to be successful in our current location and open branches elsewhere.

Going back to WSB, I've generally tried to stay objective - as much as that is possible, although that's a discussion for another day - but I have let my prejudices creep in every so often.

Other than that, I've left you, the readers, to debate the great issues of the day in the feeback section, and one of the most rewarding parts of my job has been the vibrancy of the discussion in that part of WSB, which regularly receives 100-200 comments. The record is somewhere north of 300.

It now leaves me to thank Eli Hoffman for giving me the opportunity to write WSB, and to Jeanne Klempner for her sturdy work in proof-reading each edition and for often having to put up with frantic last-minute additions as we try to keep WSB as up-to-date and as comprehensive as possible. I also want to thank the rest of the Seeking Alpha crew for being great colleagues, particularly Jason Aycock and the Breaking News team.

And thanks to you all for reading - there are around 100,000 readers via email and on the Web site - and for making the WSB community so colourful and vigourous. It has been my privelege to serve you.

Best regards,

Yigal
    May 23, 2014. 06:33 AM | 55 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Morning squire.
    May 20, 2014. 06:48 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    I have to confess that I mis-characterized Netflix's agreements.

I gave the impression that Netflix has "pay-for-priority" deals when in fact it has "direct-peering" agreements that remove bottlenecks between networks and ensure its content streams more smoothly.

I've amended the text of WSB accordingly.

Thanks to MC editor Eric Jhonsa for pointing out the problem.

Yigal
    May 15, 2014. 10:35 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    Thanks - you'll find that the term is used in Britain.
    May 12, 2014. 10:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    No worries.

You have a great day too and an outstanding weekend.
    May 9, 2014. 07:49 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    Re Super Bowl: CBS broadcast the match last year and made a shed-load of money from ads. This year, CBS didn't show the game, so it didn't earn those ad revenues. That's one of the reasons why overall sales fell.
    May 9, 2014. 07:44 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    Update: Astrazeneca turns down Pfizer's increased bid of $106B

From Seeking Alpha Breaking News

Astrazeneca (AZN) has rejected Pfizer's (PFE) improved bid of $106B, saying the offer undervalues the British drugmaker.

"Pfizer's proposal would dramatically dilute AstraZeneca shareholders' exposure to our unique pipeline and would create risks around its delivery," says Chairman Leif Johansson.

Astrazeneca's shares are +0.1% premarket.

May 2, 2014. 06:52 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    Thanks - glad you enjoyed it.
    Apr 25, 2014. 07:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "Happy Bard Day"

William Shakespeare turns 450 years old.

Apr 23, 2014. 06:39 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment