Sacha May

View Sacha May's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Nokia On Pace For Turnaround Despite Huge Q4 Loss [View article]
    I'm really not sure what to think to be honest, but I like your use of the phrase "android clones". What do you think will happen?
    Jan 26 06:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia On Pace For Turnaround Despite Huge Q4 Loss [View article]
    I agree with barcaboyvn. Nokia has actually been executing really well recently. First they came out with the 710 and the 800 VERY quickly, and then they didn't wait long to announce the 900. Don't underestimate the execution of a company that's got years of dominance on the line. Believe me, Nokia is under A LOT more pressure than Apple is to release products fast.
    Jan 26 06:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia On Pace For Turnaround Despite Huge Q4 Loss [View article]
    I agree. I think that if Microsoft manages to make Windows 8 work really well for tablets, making great hardware won't be a problem for Nokia. They'll probably come up with an original design (very, very rare in tablets) that's sleek and beautiful. There's a lot of things that need to work well together and be well coordinated for these tablets to have a shot at success, but if they pull it off we could really see a great product.
    Jan 26 04:41 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Poised to Take Over Smartphones and Tablets [View article]
    I just addressed it. I didn't avoid it, I just don't always have the time to respond to every single comment. Let me know what you think.
    Jan 19 09:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Poised to Take Over Smartphones and Tablets [View article]
    I agree with the statement on AMD, but the company has already announced that it is changing strategies and that it will not focus on competing with Intel as much anymore (it's not been working well for them). Intel's chips will become more efficient in power consumption as they spend more of their R&D budget focusing on that, something which they have announced that they will do. Before, they were mostly focusing on CPU performance. As Intel focuses on power efficiency and moves to tri-gate 22nm chips, I think that it has a good chance of reducing power consumption significantly while still improving performance all-round. That's the bet I'm making, and I'm pretty confident about my odds. I've already made over 25% with this stock.
    Jan 19 09:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Poised to Take Over Smartphones and Tablets [View article]
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading an article saying that TSMC is reducing its development budget by $1bln. Look at Intel's conference call report, and you'll see that spending has increased by over $2bln. Intel's taking a shot at this, and it's using its HUGE resources to do so. And yeah, a head start means nothing, unless the company that is ahead is known to be able to keep a lead (see the story of Intel vs AMD).
    Jan 19 08:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Poised to Take Over Smartphones and Tablets [View article]
    Looks like you were right, its a beat but guidelines are in line with expectations, good day for both of us.
    Jan 19 04:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Poised to Take Over Smartphones and Tablets [View article]
    reason: the upcoming tri-gate and 22nm technology. you can't just suddenly switch to Intel and use their chips, you have to take a lot of time to adapt your software and applications to it. so manufacturers may switch to Intel while its chips are not much better than the rest in anticipation of superior ones in the future.
    Jan 19 04:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft, Nokia Have A Real Chance Of Disrupting The Smartphone Market [View article]
    agreed
    Jan 19 04:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Poised to Take Over Smartphones and Tablets [View article]
    Alright well were about to find out soon, good luck!
    Jan 19 03:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Poised to Take Over Smartphones and Tablets [View article]
    But you have to think about margins. They are already pretty poor for smartphone chips compared to the server and computer chips that Intel's doing great with. Intel is a great company that stays very profitable by keeping their margins quite high compared to industry standards, and licensing ARM kills these margins and make make mobile chips not worth it for Intel. Intel isn't arrogant, it is an ambitious company that only goes after the best situation. Instead of backing down and licensing ARM, it is going for gold and trying to get its own chips on phones and tablets. This kind of ambition and perseverance is something I look for in a company when investing, and it makes Intel more attractive to me, as I know that it has this mentality in all of its sections and products. Don't forget, Samsung outsells Apple in smartphones but doesn't even get close in profits, and that's because of margins. Volume isn't king, margins are.
    Jan 19 01:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Poised to Take Over Smartphones and Tablets [View article]
    About your second point, Intel has changed its goals from producing more and more performant PC chips to dominating chips in all aspects of technology (toasters, cars, calculators, phones...). I like this new strategy. Also, even if phones don't bring that much profit to Intel because of much lower margins, being on mobile devices will seriously boost investor confidence in the stock, as Intel will seem to be well positioned for future markets. I personally think that Intel is doing fine without phones, but from an investor standpoint it is important to see the company's ability to adapt to new trends and to position itself for the future. It's not only about profits 2-3 years down the line...
    Jan 19 12:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Poised to Take Over Smartphones and Tablets [View article]
    I understand the difference between ARM's and Intel's architectures... But even on x86, with enough time, Intel can match the advantages of ARM's architecture by decreasing in size (doing it with 22nm) and having better integrated graphics (so it can use more graphic-heavy processing instead of overloading the clock speed on the cpu). Intel is behind and has a lot to do because of ARM's enormous head start. If they were just both starting out right now, Intel would have a MUCH easier task ahead of it. That's what I was trying to say, I guess I should have included more details on the architectures in the article, I just didn't think most people would be interested.
    Jan 19 12:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Poised to Take Over Smartphones and Tablets [View article]
    Thanks for that, sounds like a sound strategy. I only invest in my spare time though so I tend to just buy and hold (I know, the market's not great for that), but it's been working pretty well for me. Once I start getting into puts and trading, I just spend way too much time. Are you planning to do this yourself?
    Jan 19 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Poised to Take Over Smartphones and Tablets [View article]
    Although I'm long Intel, I'm not sure about earnings later today... Anyone have any thoughts?
    Jan 19 10:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment