Sal Demir

View Sal Demir's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Tesla Motors: Original Pricing Model And Non-GAAP Numbers' Significance [View article]
    You guys have a point, I should have updated the shares outstanding.

But I mentioned in the article

"I am re-presenting the same "realistic" version from my second article since the underlying numbers -- such as deliveries, gross margin, ZEV decrease, etc. -- are still on track for 2013 year end"

You can plug in your own shares outstanding, P/E, etc.

118 vs 121 (current) would dilute EPS by 3%
    Sep 5, 2013. 02:41 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bofa has a $39 price target for Tsla, and many others out there.

Also many hedge funds shorted Tsla and lost millions.

Jim Cramer suggested selling Tsla last July.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion.
    Sep 5, 2013. 02:34 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @Coolblue

Yes, this is a current problem that Tesla, Panasonic, Samsung (and possibly BYD) are working on.

- Panasonic went from a loss in its lithium-ion department, added new lines to its current production and opening a new factory to keep up with demand.

- Samsung and Tesla are currently negotiating.

- BYD is rumored to be in the talks.

Musk basically said "If OEMs do not invest to build enough batteries, we will build it ourselves"
    Sep 5, 2013. 02:31 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @Tippy

Company is providing you both GAAP and Non-GAAP numbers, you're entitled to your opinion.
    Sep 5, 2013. 02:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @Tippy

What are you referring to? Please quote as I'm getting lost w/your 30+ comments.

@tftf

I'd agree on comparing i8 w/Roadster 2.0 but we don't have the specs on either one's production version yet, so no point.

i3 is crappy, I'm sorry, you can think however you like but I'm very disappointed in BMW, thought they'd have a solid EV but then comes the dorky, boxy i3 w/~80 mile electric range and a 600CC loan mover ICE extender priced at ~40,000.

I'd buy a Nissan Leaf over i3 any day.
    Sep 5, 2013. 02:16 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "Elon is trying to get a company started bigger than Tesla to make mass transit tube"

Yeah it's a side project called Hyperloop but nothing like you're describing:) Please do some more research before making baseless claims.

No point of continuing.
    Sep 5, 2013. 01:57 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    A lot of assumptions and use of the word "may" in your claims, I'd be careful taking action/shorting on them.
    Sep 5, 2013. 01:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @Tippydog

"I;m sure Sal would say the products are so hot, that you don't need local sales, but this is silly"

Sure, please make up claims by Sal :)
    Sep 5, 2013. 01:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You have a point, I should have used the term "delivery" not "launch". (I was among the first group of people that ordered iPhone 5)

Aapl share price on Sept. 17 was $699 then $701 on Sept.18 (Google Finance), deliveries began on the 21st.

No I don't have any insider info, but credible rumors for months before the launch pointed to an incrementally updated product, nothing revolutionary.
    Sep 5, 2013. 12:15 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks tftf,

"Why is the number of shares at 118 when it's already at 121 today and further share dilution is likely (see number of outstanding options etc.) ?"

This is the same model since spring, you're more than welcome to plug in 121 million shares and get a 2-3% different number, also your own P/E, etc.

" At the proposed share price in 2019 (without even taking dilution into account) the market cap of TSLA would be higher than those of VW Group and Toyota?
    Is that realistic even for the wildest TSLA optimists?"

If Tesla reaches 600K deliveries/year, ~20% gross margin, ~13% net margin, $40+ EPS, etc. it's realistic.

Is it realistic that Amazon has a $140Billion market cap with no profits? Wait it already does.

"Please review what kind of branding power (eg. VW Group with 12 brands worldwide !) and what kind of R&D power (eg. Toyota Prius hybrid evolution; see for example today: http://aol.it/1cK3Wu1 ) will have against TSLA"

Have you seen VW's protoype EV with no known delivery date? It seats 3+1, has a 80 mile range, etc. And the other concept EV they have is priced above $125K, 2 seater, again no delivery date.

Regarding Prius and other hybrids,

Hybrid =! EV

"I see huge disappointments coming for retail investors who buy into this story at current TSLA share prices - again just my opinion."

Thanks for sharing your opinion in a respectful way, unlike some trolls here. In my opinion Tsla will become an industry leader with unprecedented margins and its share price will be priced accordingly.
    Sep 5, 2013. 12:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It's hard to understand these people with "Elon Musk's lies and propaganda" etc. claims, very delusional indeed. And thanks for the kind words.
    Sep 5, 2013. 11:48 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @GuyinUSA

Schmartguy already said it

Irrelevant comparisons cost a lot of money to shorts already, don't make the same mistake. Or go ahead and do if you're stubborn, more squeeze money for us in the long term.
    Sep 5, 2013. 11:46 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I was just telling CKRaider, Musk said they are already negotiating with Scotia Bank in Canada and they will provide lease programs in EU, Asia, etc. in near future.

It will get harder and harder to estimate the percentage if they start providing leasing option globally, hence the need for reconciliation w/Non-GAAP numbers.
    Sep 5, 2013. 11:44 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "I would love to send you some questions on the model one of these days when I have some free time to fool around."

Sure, anytime.

"I think as more orders are coming in from Europe and Asia, it becomes less of a factor since this type of financing option is not available for Model S."

Musk said they are already negotiating with Scotia Bank in Canada and they will provide lease programs in EU, Asia, etc. in near future. That's why I wrote this article, it will be a long term "issue".

"HK and China pricing haven't been set yet. We're not even in the first inning when it comes to Asia. Only pre-season."

I know, I'm seeing questions from ppl in Eastern EU, Middle East, Latin America, etc. about delivery dates all over the place :)
    Sep 5, 2013. 11:42 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Have you seen his comment and nickname?

I respond to people in the same tone that they comment.
    Sep 5, 2013. 11:37 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment