Sammy Pollack

View Sammy Pollack's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 3D Systems: Updating My Outlook [View article]
    I agree XONE miss also part of what has sent shares lower. A little skeptical that XONE is the primary reason for the weakness because DDD already reported weak numbers before XONE. Momentum was already gone.

Wall Street analyst tend to be more reactive than predictive. Everyone SHOULD have downgraded DDD when its was in the 90s but the momentum was too strong that no one was willing to step in front of the train. Now that the shares have fallen so sharply analyst have to downgrade just to show that they are paying attention and concede that the DDD story has changed. Analyst are always late to the change in story. Situation with DDD is no different. By the time everyone downgrades DDD it will probably be time to consider buying the stock for the intellectual assets.

While HP is just entering the business, the valuation is more reasonable. Furthermore, HP has far better relationships with customers who might be good targets for 3D printing. DDD does not have these relationships.

DDD is not ahead of the curve. DDD has grown by acquisition, not innovation. Innovators are ahead of the curve, acquirers are behind the curve.
    Mar 24 09:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GM: A Playbook For Trading Recall [View article]
    I agree with this. A lot of stocks look overvalued and risky at this point. Think TSLA. Comparably, GM is trading at a very reasonable valuation with the prospect of improving business trends over the next few years. Again, agree that news like this is almost always remembered as a buying opportunity. Other similar situations include the BP oil spill, J&J Tylenol recall, Newscorp scandal in the UK, and Tobacco lawsuits a while back. Looking back, these "news" situations were all buying opportunities. GM will be no different. I would not be surprised to see Buffett add to his holdings on recent pullback. Only time when headlines should lead to selling are reports of accounting irregularities or fraud as with Enron & Worldcom.
    Mar 12 11:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM: A Strong Buy [View article]
    In 15 years, IBM will be selling whatever businesses need then. Certainly not the same products that they sell today. This IS simply what IBM does. It evolves. It sells what consumers want at a given time. IBM has been decreasing its reliance on hardware over time and this has not led to service rev loss so far so why would it lead to service rev drop in the future?

"Most of the expertise that has created the success is either already gone, leaving or retiring" - I don't buy this at all. Please explain this point in more than simply hearsay. Facts please. IBM is always ranked as one of the best internship programs around and always attracts terrific talent that will help build the IBM of tomorrow. IBM expertise should not be viewed on those leaving or retiring but instead on those coming to IBM from elite schools with exceptional ability.
    Mar 12 10:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM: A Strong Buy [View article]
    I strongly disagree. IBM will almost certainly be here in 15 years. Some might argue that IBM will not have a great next 15 years but I think its very difficult to argue that "IBM will not exist." IBM has too many talented people, too much diversification, and too much financial strength to simply go away in 15 years.
    Mar 12 02:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM: A Strong Buy [View article]
    IBM emerging market exposure is a short-term headwind but a long-term tailwind. EM looks weak right now and no signs of turning but someday, it will, and IBM will be well positioned to take advantage of it.
    Mar 11 06:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM: A Strong Buy [View article]
    because IBM, despite the recent weakness, is trading quite close to all time highs .....
    Mar 11 04:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Updating My Outlook For Baidu [View article]
    I think Google had a hard time playing by the rules of the Chinese government. BIDU is much better at this. Under a more open system I think Google would be better positioned. Moreover, I think the Google brand would resonate with the Chinese looking for honest and uncensored truth. I also think there is an appeal to American brands in China that Google may be helped by. Finally, I think Google has proved that it is perhaps most skillful as attaining advertising dollars because of its approach to adds.
    Feb 5 11:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time For A Pairs Trade: Long LinkedIn, Short Twitter [View article]
    Actually, based on valuation I think LNKD is cheaper too.

Take a look at this piece

Jan 22 09:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cameco Corp: My Favorite Commodity Stock For 2014 [View article]
    Scotiabank upgraded uranium sector today. I think thats why CCJ was up big.

Jan 14 04:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cameco Corp: My Favorite Commodity Stock For 2014 [View article]
    CCJ has already guided the markets towards a loss of $400- $425 million for the tax issue. In other words, I think the market has priced in this issue to some degree. However, I will concede a worst case outcome would likely be a negative for the stock.
    Jan 14 10:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cameco Corp: My Favorite Commodity Stock For 2014 [View article]
    DNN is my favorite of the speculative names
    Jan 13 09:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Takeaways From Warren Buffett's Phillips 66 Transaction [View article]
    Yes, there is an argument that the deal was done for tax reasons. Has Buffett ever made decisions in the past solely on tax ramifications? I think not. Furthermore, if this was such a good way to harvest gains then why hasn't Berkshire done more deals like this in the past?
    Jan 2 10:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Goldman Sachs: My Favorite Dow Stock For 2014 [View article]
    I agree. Competition has been weakened. GS is perhaps in the best position relative to competitors in its history.
    Dec 28 11:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Uranium Miners Outperforming In 2013 May Be Just The Beginning [View article]
    Cameco didn't outperform because it was not a good year for the uranium sector in general. The sector ETF URA was down 25% for 2013... I think Areva was the outlier and CCJ is telling the truth which is that Uranium did not have a great 2013. However, tend to agree with you that a turn might soon be at hand.....
    Dec 23 09:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: My Least Favorite Dow Stock For 2014 [View article]
    Executive shakeup is actually something that could cause T shares to rally. The company needs a more aggressive strategy to compete with Verizon. Don't think Stephenson has been a terrible CEO but I would view a change of leadership as a positive.
    Dec 22 01:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment