Sammy Pollack

View Sammy Pollack's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Waste Management: A Good Fit For Berkshire [View article]
    Well, you must realize that the title of the article is not "Berkshire To Buy Waste Management." Rather, "Waste Management: A Good Fit For Berkshire" is not arguing that Berkshire will buy WM but instead that WM would be a nice fit for Berkshire. If there was already any indication that Berkshire would buy WM then the stock would have already moved and there would be little need to suggest that WM might be a good fit for Berkshire. I do not own WM because I am expecting a takeover. As stated in the article, I turned bullish WM a while ago and am looking to hold for the long-term.
    Dec 22, 2012. 10:12 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JPMorgan Physical Copper ETF Approved: What You Need To Know [View article]
    I disagree. You have to look at the day the deal was announced because the selling that day was the reaction to the deal. The selling on the day of the deal was when those who were holding FCX as a pure copper play exited. New buyers, after the deal was announced, are there for different reasons. Perhaps they are buyers because they think FCX was oversold. Alternatively, they could be buyers because they, unlike the market, actually like the idea of diversification for FCX. In any event, these new buyers are not buying FCX as a pure play on copper
    Dec 19, 2012. 01:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • JPMorgan Physical Copper ETF Approved: What You Need To Know [View article]
    no, that is incorrect. FCX shares have not even come close to recovering from the deal decline. SCCO shares have moved higher during the same time.
    Dec 19, 2012. 01:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Investors Should Listen To Jim Chanos [View article]
    This argument is sometimes true when following high profile investors. However, as pointed out in my article, it has not been true for those following Chanos.
    Nov 27, 2012. 02:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Investors Should Listen To Jim Chanos [View article]
    this is true, but Chanos seems to have the hot hand right now..
    Nov 26, 2012. 02:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Anatomy Of A Portfolio [View instapost]
    well said, Josh
    Nov 25, 2012. 08:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 High Quality Stocks For Long-Term Value Investing, And 3 To Avoid [View article]
    WMT may be king for now but in 20 years who knows?? Remember whens Sears was king? Look at them now. My point is retail can be a difficult business because of changes in consumer wants and needs.
    Nov 25, 2012. 07:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    As I said, I am not looking much at the short term. These are very long-term ideas.
    Nov 25, 2012. 07:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I tend to disagree. I would not go short MSFT but at the end of the day they are very exposed to the declining pc/laptop business and much less exposed to the booming tablet/smartphone business.
    Nov 25, 2012. 07:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I would argue that Lehman was a casualty of a secular decline in the business of finance and banking. Most major financial firms have not recovered all that much from the worst levels in 2008. Citi, Bank of America, Goldman, and Morgan Stanley have not done all that well considering how well the stock market as a whole has. I think this points to the secular decline in the industry. This could be looked at as similar to why I cannot get behind the likes of Microsoft. MSFT, like Dell, Intel, AMD, HPQ and others is highly exposed to the decline of the traditional pc business which is a secular problem not a cyclical problem.

Just because Ford declined a bailout does not mean they had little risk of bankruptcy. To the contrary, the stock and bond prices at the point argued that bankruptcy was very possible if not likely. Luckily, Ford was able to make it through.

You are correct, the S&P 500 does have a higher yield than treasuries. That being said, I don't think it renders that criteria irrelevant because the dividend can be looked as a measure of quality as well. (meaning is the company shareholder friendly)
    Nov 25, 2012. 07:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Invest Like Jim Chanos With These ETFs [View article]
    I think you are missing something with TECS. While it is home to the likes of HPQ and DELL, the ETF is more a bet against Apple so it would not make much sense to buy TECS to bet on Chanos negative HPQ outlook.
    Nov 22, 2012. 08:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Sticking With Annaly [View article]
    you are correct, must have hit the wrong button my mistake. I am in fact long the stock. Will have SA update the disclosure ASAP. Thanks for pointing this out.
    Nov 19, 2012. 09:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Sticking With Annaly [View article]
    yes, this is all true and known by the market. What about the discount to book value though? Shouldn't the stock be worth at least 1 times BV despite these headwinds?
    Nov 19, 2012. 06:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Sticking With Annaly [View article]
    Thanks RS, always enjoy reading your prospectives on NLY as well. You do make a fair point about Fed increasing rates but I think it would take a major change in events and a lot of time to get to that point.
    Nov 19, 2012. 06:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Vringo Worth? [View article]
    the 5-10x multiple has to do with royalty fees. As a part of any settlement, VRNG will probably get a royalty on future revenues somewhere around .5%
    Oct 9, 2012. 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment