View as an RSS Feed
Will Tesla's Earnings Exceed Expectations? The Company Won't Match Its Valuation Either Way
- When investors mistake their own tastes for the tastes of the broader consumer market, they often bid niche companies up far beyond any reasonable valuation.
- Tesla seems like a classic example of this phenomenon. While its cars are clearly popular among the investing class, I don't see how it ever justifies its current share price.
- Essential shortcomings in its design and strong competition from richer, more established companies make investing in Tesla a highly speculative wager.
I Should Be Savoring Chipotle's Amazing Earnings; Instead, They Almost Made Me Lose My Lunch
- As I wrote before, I love Chipotle, but its high multiple and heavy coverage kept me from buying the stock for a long time.
- After finally convincing myself to buy 5000 shares, I quickly unloaded half of them during a brief sell-off. With another monster earnings report out yesterday, I'm ruing that hasty decision.
- Chipotle could very well be a once in a lifetime company (like Starbucks) that defies normal stock metrics and remakes its industry.
Ground Floor: LGI Homes Is A Turnkey Two Or Three Bagger
- Most major homebuilding stocks have rebounded nicely from their lows, but the market has likely priced in future earnings growth.
- Population booms in Florida and Texas will benefit homebuilders active in those states.
- LGI Homes is poised to take advantage of these trends, and its low stock price, small market cap, and rapid growth make it a potential GARP gem.
To The Bone: There Is More Pain Ahead For Intuitive Surgical
- Struggling companies often retain elevated valuations for surprisingly long intervals before falling rapidly.
- Intuitive Surgical is a clear example of this tendency.
- Even after its recent sell-off, Intuitive's stock is still overvalued.
- Chipotle Was My Biggest Miss Of 2013. Will It Become My Biggest Miss Of 2014, Too?
- The Diamond And The Rough: Zale And Dex Media Are 2 Hot Stocks Headed In Opposite Directions
- Not Cutting It: Even After Earnings Disappointments, Intuitive Surgical Is Still Overvalued
- Dex Media: A Rare 'Chapter 33' Bankruptcy In The Making
- A Piece Of The Pie: Chuck E Cheese Is A De Facto Leveraged Buyout For Everyday Investors
- Terminal Diagnosis: Despite What You May Have Heard, Dendreon Is A 'Dead Company Walking'
- Grand Canyon Education: A Good Apple In A Rotten Barrel