Scott MacDonald

View Scott MacDonald's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Disney (DIS) says it will distribute an upcoming 3D movie from director Toni Myers jointly with IMAX (IMAX). The partnership will mark the first time the two companies produced an IMAX movie together. [View news story]
    I love the growing relationship between Disney and Imax. Is anyone else thinking this could evolve into an acquision the way the Pixar/Disney relationship did?
    Mar 20 01:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nvidia: Why An Intel-Based Sell-Off Makes No Sense [View article]
    This capability seems very similar to the Wii U. If so, the Wii Us success could indicate a strong market for the device.
    Jan 19 11:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Debunking The Short Thesis On Coinstar [View article]
    Actually, Indie films, Documentaries and older films is exactly where Netflix excels.
    Jan 14 09:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry, Mr. Chanos, You're Wrong About Coinstar [View article]
    Thanks for the tip. I will definitely look into it.
    Jan 5 07:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Debunking The Short Thesis On Coinstar [View article]
    Interesting concept. Can you link the article/source? I would like to dig into that a bit.
    Jan 4 09:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix's Perfect Blunder? [View article]
    It appears that my recommendation to put Netflix on your watchlist and buy if it should gain positive momentum would have paid off for those that listened.

It didn't double, but a 50% gain from the time I wrote this article is nothing to scoff at. There are still underlying fundamental issues and competition is increasing. Until Netflix provides a reasonable plan to maintain its competitive edge I am not a buyer over $75. At this point I would take half my money off the table.
    Dec 27 09:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Projections shows the movie industry will end the year with a 5.6% lift in attendance after seeing two straight years of declines. Holding the line on ticket prices and a fresh mix of titles helped studios see the biggest yearly increase in attendance in nine years. 2012 winners: IMAX's box office tally, The Hunger Games, Skyfall, MGM's resurrection. 2012 losers: 3-D attendance, family movies, DVD sales on major releases. [View news story]
    One more nail in the coffin of the bear thesis for IMAX. Long IMAX.

Dec 24 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Debunking The Short Thesis On Coinstar [View article]
    I believe that is the current mode of operation. I am a Netflix subscriber but frequent Redbox.
    Dec 19 09:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Debunking The Short Thesis On Coinstar [View article]
    Many analyst are having a heck of a time applying their traditional metrics and analytical techniques to the the newer business models made possible by new technology. Your view is refreshing.

Excellent dissection of the short case for Coinstar made stronger by the fact that you did not talk about all of the additional ventures and strategic partnerships Coinstar is working on.

I went over a few of those in my recent article.
    Dec 19 02:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry, Mr. Chanos, You're Wrong About Coinstar [View article]
    My valuation puts it at around $78. Unless one of their new ventures becomes a runaway hit sooner than expected.
    Dec 16 05:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry, Mr. Chanos, You're Wrong About Coinstar [View article]
    Anecdotal or not, your right, it is compelling. Thank you for sharing. What you have wrote actually makes for a good article. You should write it up and submit it if you haven't done so already.

I thought I read that redbox instant would not go live until end of the 1Q 2013. It appears it may be significantly sooner. I for one will be checking it out as soon as it is available.

I wrote an article about Netflix that warns that Coinstars offering is the real threat not the larger companies that treat streaming as a hobby (Apple, Amazon etc).

Dec 12 09:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry, Mr. Chanos, You're Wrong About Coinstar [View article]
    Thanks John,

I feel Netflix is another company that analysts don't get from a customer perspective. Yes, they have fundamental issues. Shrinking margins, competition etc but the product is still the best streaming service by far. Anyone that says otherwise doens't get the product.

I would love to here why you think they will be taken private.
    Dec 12 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry, Mr. Chanos, You're Wrong About Coinstar [View article]
    I don't believe that Coinstar's leadership expects to win the streaming war. They expect to extend the life of their movie rental business and suppliment their revenue while their other ventures mature.

I think the name recognition and convinience of Redbox will give them a pretty good start. The value, at $6 a month, and the potential synergy with their other kiosks could allow for some interesting offerings.

Rent a movie, get a free coffee. Buy a live event ticket get a free coffee etc.

I am not saying that they don't have challenges. I believe that their leadership has earned the benefit of the doubt.
    Dec 12 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry, Mr. Chanos, You're Wrong About Coinstar [View article]
    The biometric kiosks are already in use in some states. I think they would have to be in a building (perhaps in a pharmacy) and would cut down on wait times at your traditional pharmacy. With the proper security precautions I could see them being very successful.

Coinstar has about 10 other kiosks in the works as well.
    Dec 12 08:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry, Mr. Chanos, You're Wrong About Coinstar [View article]
    Thank you.

I agree with you about Medbox. That is actually how I made that connection.
    Dec 11 04:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment