Scott Murray

View Scott Murray's Comments BY TICKER:
  • VIX And The VXX May Present A Short-Term Opportunity For A 200-300% Return [View article]
    LEAP puts I mean. Kudos...
    Nov 8, 2012. 03:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Long VXX puts on spikes have been an awesome strategy this year.
    Nov 8, 2012. 03:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nov 8, 2012. 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Still a fan of the Dec 30's.
    Nov 8, 2012. 03:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Presidential Election And VIX Behavior [View article]
    VIX holding at 18 or so is a tell I think. If the S&P falls below the 200 sma, then it could spike, but 30 handles down on the S&P and no move on the VIX is indicating an orderly sell-off.
    Nov 8, 2012. 03:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The vxx can fall regardless of market direction. The VIX can also fall or rise regardless of market direction. The VXX holds VIX futures with multiple headwinds. The VIX is structured around demand for index options. See my other articles for more on this topic.
    Nov 5, 2012. 07:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ok, that is kind of the point of all the articles I have written. The entry point is key, and our firm specializes in volatility forecasting.
    Nov 5, 2012. 03:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I'm long vxx puts as stated at the end of the article, defining my risk. So synthetically short.
    Nov 5, 2012. 12:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Take Full Advantage Of Apple's Correction Using Option Leverage [View article]
    I personally don't like selling spreads when you don't receive at least your value at risk. For example, I like selling the Jan 600-590 put spread for about $6.20. You collect 6.20 in Jan if the stock is above $600, but your risk is only $3.80. That is a good risk/return. Selling a $15 spread to collect $1.72 is not a good ratio. Just my opinion.
    Nov 2, 2012. 11:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I didn't say $105 as profit, I said they could be sold for $105, and that would be a 217% profit. 105-33=72 and 72/33-2.17, or 217%.

Delta changes as the price changes (gamma), so the delta of the options at $105 will be close to 1.
    Nov 1, 2012. 05:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    That is precisely what I was suggesting. A reasonable goal would be to get the Jan call for free.
    Nov 1, 2012. 05:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Misunderstood By Both Analysts And The Media [View article]
    I don't agree for multiple reasons.

A. Apple didn't invent the "beat and the street will be happy with you" game. They just decided to deal with it in their own way, which is to never miss estimates. I would also advocate this approach, as it helps to emphasize the long-term performance of the firm.

B. They are currently undervalued relative to their peers with respect to p/e and dcf, so that is irrelevant to how the stock is performing right now. It is even lower than Microsoft, I mean come on.

C. It is not AAPL's or Cook's duty to dispel rumors. It is their primary duty to focus on the product and creating shareholder value. They should not respond to rumors every time some blog says that some cases are scratched.
    Oct 31, 2012. 11:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Misunderstood By Both Analysts And The Media [View article]
    Great points. The ecosystem is worth much more than the price difference in the mini space.
    Oct 31, 2012. 10:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A 51% Annualized Return With BAC [View article]
    I personally would own the calls naked, as they are LEAPS and have so much time to expiration. If the stock made a major move in the next year or two (quite possible I imagine you would agree), I could just close the trade and not lose on the short leg. I would do a spread, if I were putting it on for say, Jan 2013 calls.

Another trade that I use is calendar call spreads. In BAC's case, I own the Jan 13 $10's, and sell 9 or 9.50's every week. Weekly option sales can bring down your cost basis in a hurry.
    Oct 29, 2012. 10:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Misunderstood By Both Analysts And The Media [View article]
    Apple didn't reduce anything. They gave guidance for the Q on Oct 25th.
    Oct 29, 2012. 05:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment