Scott Murray

View Scott Murray's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Is Misunderstood By Both Analysts And The Media [View article]
    Yeah, I took the Jan 2013 call route myself....
    Oct 29 03:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Misunderstood By Both Analysts And The Media [View article]
    Please put up a link. That is too funny not to read.
    Oct 29 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Misunderstood By Both Analysts And The Media [View article]
    Exactly, why bother with the facts? Who's got the time for that? Wait until the jobs report, the facts are always ignored on CNBC during that release.
    Oct 29 03:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Misunderstood By Both Analysts And The Media [View article]
    Except when other companies give guidance like: "EPS $2.30-$2.40 in FY 2012". In that case, they seem to do much better.
    Oct 29 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Misunderstood By Both Analysts And The Media [View article]
    Good points. Why can't people understand that desktop and laptop sales slowing down is related to disruptive technology? Weird, they always seem to make that a macro economic problem.

Secondly, what is with the "broken business model/cannibalization" stories. If cannibalization yields growth, I'm all for it. Cook makes this exact point in the transcript.
    Oct 29 03:07 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Misunderstood By Both Analysts And The Media [View article]
    Business school does a lot of things wrong. Ask Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger, they are very vocal on that particular topic.
    Oct 29 03:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Misunderstood By Both Analysts And The Media [View article]
    Makes you wonder what good it does to throw darts at an earnings guess. Doesn't do anyone any good. Just confuses people and masks the fundamentals.
    Oct 29 02:36 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Misunderstood By Both Analysts And The Media [View article]
    I suppose you should be sending the analysts Xmas cards.
    Oct 29 02:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Misunderstood By Both Analysts And The Media [View article]
    The problem with their valuation is that no one can buy them due to sheer size, therefore the value of the business cannot be resolved in the marketplace, IMO. Growth becomes less relevant in this scenario.
    Oct 29 02:31 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying Opportunity: Apple Will Miss Fourth Quarter Earnings Expectations [View article]
    Nice job, analysts were wrong again. I love how the media claims that AAPL slashed guidance, when of course they had given no guidance for the first quarter; that was only the moronic analysts' guidance of $15.
    Oct 28 04:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fall Volatility Ahead? The Futures, Options, And ETPs Are Already Expensive [View article]
    Here is how you can be short the vxx without much risk. Let's say you have $10k marginability. You short $2k VXX for a margin req of $666 or so. If you have the vxx triple in one month like last summer, your margin on that position is now $2k, not a big deal at all. You can then short more vxx at will to take advantage of its inevitable retracement.

Now, if you had a black swan/ fat tail event like the fall of 2008, hopefully you would be smart enough to get long puts or vol. Who wouldn't be able to make a lot of money in that environment? Seriously.
    Sep 1 09:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    cma,

Again, I never said that vix options price off cash. I always said they priced off vix forward values. I contradicted your statement that they priced off of vix futures, as I believe that shallow market has demonstrated inefficiencies due to the volume of ETP holdings. In fact, that is why the TVIX shut down new issuance.

Let's just let it go as a small difference (forward vs. futures) of opinion.
    Sep 1 09:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Redbox's Parent Coinstar Is In The Bargain Bin [View article]
    Keith,

I like to view CSTR as getting a free call on the kiosk product pipeline, and I believe that the coffee kiosks are going to be very successful. Eventually, SBUX will be on them where the store itself may never be able to feasibly go....
    Aug 26 10:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    4cessna,

Please give me an example of VIX put selling. I like the idea, but there seems to be very little premium in there to collect. The Jan 2013 $15's are only .20.

Thx
    Aug 26 09:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    dman22x,

I am long puts, so essentially I am not going to get nailed due to systemic risk, as I would never sell VIX futures or options for that very reason, unlimited risk and limited reward. VXX puts have limited risk and potential multiples of reward. Especially going out to 2014.

I have a different view of the world debt crisis. I think things are improving, and especially here in the U.S. Surely, it is a slow recovery, but that is what happens when you borrow from the future, which we did with home prices and equity prices rising far ahead of their intrinsic value. There are very positive signs in the U.S. economy these days, the housing market turnaround and the household employment survey being to significant ones. I am cautiously optimistic looking forward.
    Aug 26 08:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment