Scott Ryan

View Scott Ryan's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 3D Systems: Weighing The Bankruptcy Risk [View article]
    We can make unwarranted assumptions like this about virtually ANY company out there with a strong balance sheet. My first reaction to articles like this, with such dramatic titles is that they are written with the agenda to instill panic and foment rumors without legally libeling. Getting a preponderance of headlines propounding notions of bankruptcy can be effective to achieving the –perception- goal as many who scan the headlines do not actually read the article.

DDD is no Nokia. HP is no Apple and Meg Whitman is CERTAINLY no Steve Jobs.
    Feb 19, 2015. 03:31 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook Should Do This To Unlock Shareholder Value [View article]
    ...and here it is, playing out gradually, weeks after the call. That's how FB moves - for the reason I expatiated above.
    Feb 19, 2015. 01:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The Tablet Upgrade Cycle Ever Get Here? [View article]
    Unless maybe they make the iPad into a phone. Put a strap on it and I'll carry it around like a "murse".
    Feb 19, 2015. 01:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The Tablet Upgrade Cycle Ever Get Here? [View article]
    The phones -are- the tablet upgrade cycle. I have an Pad that I never use. I want a larger phone screen & I am set. Anything that I cannot do on the larger phone screen, would be reserved for my laptop (video editing). No need for a "tablet".
    Feb 17, 2015. 12:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook Should Do This To Unlock Shareholder Value [View article]
    This is just the way FB shares appreciate ever since the one prodigious move that shocked the world. It will exceed your target this year and it will be a $300 billion company in the near future. Nevertheless, it has been the most downplayed company in the market having to endure absurdity after absurdity in the way of investment theses - ever since the IPO comeback. You remember the teen scare thesis, the Princeton University Rocket scientists who predicted FB's fate by studying bacteria...

The CEO is the most circumspect CEO out there when it comes to avoiding grandiose statements. He didn't care to go public in the first place. All he does is deliver outstanding performance like no other company traded by Wall Street today.

I have in my articles at http://bit.ly/1c1P1et and here at SA insisted that FB is the most reluctant growth stock in America. It is the complete opposite of what happens in a bubble. If you want to see "irrational exuberance", look at TWTR today. After the horrible MAU problem TWTR has, the stock should be at 10-12 billion rather than $26 billion mkt cap. If they achieved 100% profit margins, they do not have enough MAUs to justify $26 bills.

Nevertheless, FB is the company "everybody loves to hate" and the extraordinarily low price is "irrational pessimism" or "irrational reluctance". It is the best value out there now for the growth and it will gradually creep to $100+ in the way it has become accustom due to investor ignorance and credulity.
    Feb 6, 2015. 02:15 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: J.C. Penney Holiday Sales - Have You Learned Your Lesson? [View article]
    JCP's problems is revealed in your statement "My mother, two aunts, and motherinlaw all shop at Penneys and they...". It is a store patronized by older people and their relevance will continue to dwindle as they age. They can keep amputating but they will need to continue amputating as their customers die off and there are no stores left. Even the malls at which they sell are dying. http://aol.it/1u35HiZ

I expected increased revenue at the holiday but this is as good as it gets. And at what profit? They can increase sales as they sell dollar bills for 99 cents but any so-called turnaround news is delusional. There are usually upward blips in a long term declining chart. That is what we have here in JCP. The facts are what they are. My Puts go into 2017 and I am willing to wait,
    Jan 13, 2015. 10:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mispriced, Misjudged And Misunderstood: The J.C. Penney Story [View article]
    My first problem is with the title.
    "Feeling" and value have no correlation.
    - Scott Ryan

"Restoring historical sales levels in the home category and an average of 8% increment in women's accessories and..."

And if Blockbuster Video can just restore historical sales levels...

JCP is to retail what Blockbuster was to video rental.
    - Scott Ryan

The world is rapidly changing and people have no need for JCP (aside from the fact that malls are dying). JCP is still grossly over-valued and will be gone.
    JCP's customers are literally passing away by the thousands every day- and I don't mean "taking a pass".
    Dec 16, 2014. 09:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • There Is No Recovery At J.C. Penney [View article]
    Alphatag, the financial statements, balance sheet, revolving leadership are a good argument for why they would not succeed. If you walk around town and randomly ask 1,000 people "what do you think about JCP?" you would probably get plenty there as well.

Longs are looking for stories to support their thesis and discard reality.
    Dec 9, 2014. 07:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • There Is No Recovery At J.C. Penney [View article]
    That is preposterous. I ignored your comment there where you accused me of passing myself off as a Millennial. I didn’t claim to be one and purporting to be one would add no credence to the argument. But the juvenile mentality corollary to that weak point could serve as an indicator contrarian to whatever side of the transaction you particularly advocate.
    Dec 9, 2014. 07:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • There Is No Recovery At J.C. Penney [View article]
    That is preposterous. I ignored your comment there where you accused me of passing myself off as a Millennial. I didn’t claim to be one and purporting to be one would add no credence to the argument. But the juvenile mentality corollary to your that weak point could serve as an indicator contrarian to whatever side of the transaction you particularly advocate.
    Dec 9, 2014. 07:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Simple Reasons You Should Consider J.C. Penney Now [View article]
    Ah, no. It is working out quite well thank you. Nevertheless, I do not gamble. I have a small share of Puts that go out to 2017 and is maybe 2-3% of my portfolio. I expect a 300% return and will hold until I have it. If they expire worthless in 2+ years, which I highly doubt, it will be insignificant.
    Dec 9, 2014. 02:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Simple Reasons You Should Consider J.C. Penney Now [View article]
    The latest joke among millennials: "Yo Momma buys your clothes at J.C. Penney."
    Dec 9, 2014. 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • There Is No Recovery At J.C. Penney [View article]
    The contrarians who are long this stock cannot make a case as to why this company should even exist. They are being "contrarian" for the sake of being contrarian when it comes to JCP.

JCP didn't just alienate their customer base, their customer base is literally dying off. My Grandma used to talk about "Penneys" and shop about Penneys. She is unfortunately for the first time in 90 years, confined to her house this year and will not be shopping there. Her daughter, my dear Mother used to shop there but now stays away from Malls and is a Boomer who like many Boomers, is tech savvy enough to order online and goes to specialty stores.

Myself, a Gen-Xer, just think of JCP as Grandma's store. It's nostalgic but that is not something that is going to get me to patronize them. The last time I was in one of those stores I was a teenager. We used to hang out at malls on weekends back then (1980s). If I was in JCP it was only because the parking lot was full and I happened to find a parking spot close to a JCP and had to cut through the store to get to one of the smaller specialty stores.

Millennials? Forget about it. If they even know JCP exists at all, it is probably in the form of a punch line.

There is no future for JCP. I am not saying this because I own 2017 Puts (which I do). I own the 2017 Puts because I emphatically see this for what it is.

They had a nice run. The best thing they can do for creditors is to close up shop and liquidate while there may be something left to salvage.
    Dec 9, 2014. 01:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Simple Reasons You Should Consider J.C. Penney Now [View article]
    Not those of us with Puts going out to 2017. I'm just laughing at the credulity of longs because I know this thing will be trading at literal pennies by 2017 if trading at all. I expect people to make foolish decisions on the trite "Christmas time" thesis.

That's what amateurs do, as though nobody has ever thought of that before.

Are you kidding me? "Hey, I've got an idea, let's buy Toys R Us before Christmas time..." Brilliant! Who ever thought of that? I should write a book with that kind of insight.

JCP may have some extra sales in December but it will be for losses. The store is a joke to Gen X through Millennials. We loath walking into JCP. Their core customers are dropping like flies.
    Nov 25, 2014. 02:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Simple Reasons You Should Consider J.C. Penney Now [View article]
    J.C. Penney is a dying store in an overcrowded retail market, with dying customers, located in a dying venue (malls) strapped with enormous overhead. What’s not to love?
    Nov 25, 2014. 02:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment