Scott Ryan

View Scott Ryan's Comments BY TICKER:
  • OVPs Still Getting Too Much Of Their Revenue From The Re-Sale Of Bandwidth [View article]
    iNTERESTING.
    Oct 28 07:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Facebook Replace Google As The King Of Tech? [View article]
    Your assessment on FB and Google in regard to Search is right on. Google has a huge advantage in search.

However, Facebook will leverage its unique position and dominate a segment of advertising (aside from mobile) that is a $50 billion+ a year market: Endorsements

An Industry Facebook Is Poised to Revolutionize
    Oct 9 12:02 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Companies That Combine Mobile Search And Social [View article]
    OUCH.
    Oct 5 02:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Selling At Yelp Is A Non-Issue [View article]
    Touché dsim! I cannot complain in that regard but they can always be larger.
    Oct 4 10:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Selling At Yelp Is A Non-Issue [View article]
    They are not in that stage yet. Insiders are paying themselves out of initial investments after years of low salaries. The point of this column addresses that. I even included time-stamped examples of myself making the same assertions you are making here - but about the $10 billion AMZN "bubble" in 2002. Bezos and colleagues were selling hundreds of thousands of shares every month for years.

The insider selling fright pieces work best on companies that have little prospect for growth -such as ANGI - as I specifically warned my readers months ago at "Yelp Is To Angie's List What Facebook Was To Classmates.com" http://seekingalpha.co...

I don't know what more a reader can ask for- seriously bud. Here, 2 months ago- I specifically tell my readers "Channeling Obi Wan Kenobi, let me help those who are looking for a short sale opportunity in the Consumer Review sector: YELP is Not The Short You're Looking For (Hint: Short ANGI if you must short something in this sector)." http://seekingalpha.co...

I took 2 companies that Wall Street has been erroneously lumping together and for the past year - before the run in YELP and before the precipitous fall in ANGI told readers to BUY YELP and SHORT ANGI... These pieces SHOULD have been Alpha-Rich but my patent-pending basic business sense doesn't feature enough graphs, charts and useless discounted cash-flow analysis based upon spoon fed pap given as guidance to Wall Street - to make perspicacious investment advice look esoteric.

Respectfully, I would like people to read more than just the title before writing comments.
    Oct 3 11:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Selling At Yelp Is A Non-Issue [View article]
    My pleasure. Thank you for your comment.
    Sep 26 10:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Selling At Yelp Is A Non-Issue [View article]
    As I wrote in this article, I have already propounded my case for Yelp so I didn't focus on that here. It is easy to find my earlier articles on Yelp. As for the cash wad of companies like Facebook, have you ever heard of stock/cash deals?

Regardless, My case is not based upon M&A speculation.
    Sep 26 09:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Selling At Yelp Is A Non-Issue [View article]
    Thanks. It says I am long at the top of the article, I also own Puts, which is at the end. I do not expect to make much if anything on my Puts but that's ok.
    Sep 26 08:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Long Tesla / Short Tesla - You Can Buy What's Popular Or Cheap, But You Can't Do Both [View article]
    Unless they are running on solar power, are they not charged with electricity that is generated by traditional sources of energy? Granted, it might not be from oil but rather sources like coal etc. But if that still consumes traditional forms of energy, I wonder if a large increase in electric cars will transfer one burden to another type of burden (on the grid). I wonder if we will see a significantly larger increase in power as a result?
    Sep 19 12:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yelp Is To Angie's List What Facebook Was To Classmates.com [View article]
    It looks like ANGI has been disconnected from YELP. No more riding the coat-tails of YELP. The ANGI market makers and analysts as at Stiffel should be getting nervous about now.
    Sep 18 04:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Shift In Advertising Spending To Online Will Benefit These Companies [View article]
    I guess you didn't look up Yelp today.
    Sep 18 04:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Don't be so modest Jayson. Send me a quick e-mail next time you hit the "Submit" column button.
    Sep 18 03:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jeese Jayson, your columns really move stocks. Nice job today. Perhaps this should have been an "Seeking Alpha Pro" column.
    Sep 18 03:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I like your column Jayson. Yelp's "niche" is in excess of $1 trillion annually. They are poised to dominate it and even a fraction of a percentage of that market will justify a $12 billion market cap. As I wrote in my August 3rd piece, http://bit.ly/156tJaK - I believe $75 a share would be too cheap a price for Apple to acquire Yelp. I also said then that it would not be Yelp's interest to sell to any company for less than $8 billion. I still think that is clearly the case.

If anyone should acquire Yelp, it should be Google. If memory serves me correctly --Steve Jobs-- actually met with and personally advised CEO Stoppleman years ago -not- to sell to Google cheaply (according to Stoppelman in the recent Charlie Rose interview).

Best regards.
    Scott
    Sep 18 02:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Danger Zone: Angie's List [View article]
    Nice column David. Thank you for posting those links to samples of what seems to be a veritable litany of complaints. I like the Ripoffreport. After reading the stories of some of the businesses being shaken down, maybe when potential customers call them requesting bids, they should first ask the customer "do you subscribe to Angie's List?" Then, if they answer in the affirmative, tell them "no thank you. We've had some some bad experiences..."

Then ask them if they tried contacting any of the companies that PAY $25k a year to advertise on Angie's.

It seems a bit misleading when they outright BOAST that "no company can Pay to ---be on--- Angie's List" - since no company is given a CHOICE as to whether they want to be listed. (One business on the ripoffreport pointed out that they wanted to be removed from Angie's List but they will not oblige.) It is even more underhanded that on top of them saying "no company can pay ---to be on--- Angie's List in their ads that they --do not say--- that companies can however pay to play. That's a disclosure that should be on every commercial in which they make that claim. Think the FTC will get involved? If I got shafted by Angie's, I would have my state Attorney General on them for their lack of disclosure in those ads.
    Sep 11 10:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment