Sean O'Connor

View Sean O'Connor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Mediating The Research In Motion Debate [View article]
    I agree. There's few opportunities to spark momentum in the short term. Once the momentum gets going I believe there will be a big surge due to the cheap valuation. Likewise I see that occurring around the BB10 launch.
    Feb 29 11:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    A personal favorite
    Feb 29 11:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Even Netflix Knows RIM Is Finished [View article]
    To mediate this discussion:

Feb 28 12:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mediating The Research In Motion Debate [View article]
    In line with the article, it'd be great to see people with strong views to try and articulate the direction the shareprice is going in either the short-term, long-term, or both.

Statements suggesting the company is "finished" can greatly mislead a potential investor on either the short or long side, unless you truly believe that the doors will close on RIMM and it will cease to produce smartphones.

"This company sucks for this reason ... and its shareprice will do this"

or

"This company is great for this reason ... and its shareprice will do this"
    Feb 28 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mediating The Research In Motion Debate [View article]
    I find it hard to believe that your complaints in the company have not manifested themselves in the shareprice already. I agree that the stock will likely fall in the next little while, as outlined by the article, but I see Thorsten's comments in a more positive way. He didn't take the classic three envelopes approach (http://bit.ly/wOzS9V) which is so commonly seen in struggling companies today. He reflected his appreciation of the men he worked for and stressed that the company is still a healthy profitable company. Panicking and telling the public they need to drastically change everything would cause major disruption.

As my article echoes, albeit far less offensively, this stock is better left to be avoided right now.
    Feb 28 11:52 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shipping Is Weak But Dryships Is Still Cheap [View article]
    No need to be getting personal. Investors should put as much time as possible into where they place their assets.
    Feb 27 06:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mediating The Research In Motion Debate [View article]
    I stand corrected. From the reports I've seen it sounds like the top of the class students are heading to Apple, Facebook, and others. I do understand RIMM. I'm on your side in views that it will one day rise again. I do not however have access to its company directory which states the background of all employees as it appears you do.
    Feb 27 12:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mediating The Research In Motion Debate [View article]
    Ambitious outlook, but one which I could see happening if the BB10 is a huge success. I agree with the notion that there is little loyalty beyond the term of the contract the user signs with their provider.
    Feb 27 12:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mediating The Research In Motion Debate [View article]
    Good Point. They stand in a good position to further grow as the #1 smartphone provider in the developing world. Margins are not as high in this domain but they certainly exist.
    Feb 27 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mediating The Research In Motion Debate [View article]
    Unfortunately investor behavior is the main reason I stay away from this company. As you can see by some of the comments here, there are people out there who truly believe RIMM will go out of business. Their voices will be much louder after the next earnings release and I believe they'll further scare off investors in the company. Thankfully as much as they claim the end is in sight, their words only affect the shareholder behavior and the company itself will keep trucking along and a surge will come.
    Feb 27 12:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mediating The Research In Motion Debate [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. Who has your company switched to now?
    Feb 27 12:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mediating The Research In Motion Debate [View article]
    Which would lead you to the exact conclusion of this paper to avoid RIMM for now. Where we differ is your view that RIMM is on the path to being worthless. Where my view comes in is that there's still value yet within the company and room to grow once the bottom is reached. Only time will tell. Thanks for the comments.
    Feb 27 12:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mediating The Research In Motion Debate [View article]
    A common view from the short position, and as you have said, those investors have been right over and over in respect to this company. From my article you can deduce that I disagree in the long term, but that the short position may still bear fruit in the meantime.
    Feb 27 11:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mediating The Research In Motion Debate [View article]
    I think it'll take a beating over its earnings report then start the momentum upwards sometime after that.
    Feb 27 11:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mediating The Research In Motion Debate [View article]
    Good Point. The media loves to kick a company while it's down, or boast for a company that's soaring. Nothing makes a story like the collapse of the once dominating company in an industry.
    Feb 27 11:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment