Seeking Anything

View Seeking Anything's Comments BY TICKER:
  • NASDAQ Dividend Achievers: Waste Management [View article]
    bobk61, thanks for specifying how they pay dividends. I researched the company when I bought it and the dividend was covered then. Ever since it's been in my online portfolios the major sites, including SA, list their payout ratio as 500% or more.
    Dec 19, 2014. 09:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NASDAQ Dividend Achievers: Waste Management [View article]
    The payout isn't 650% or whatever nonsense the websites say. It's been a while since I've done my homework on WM but the company and the website are using different numbers - earnings versus FFO or something.

Another great reason to read the 10-K of any company you're serious about.
    Dec 18, 2014. 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford - Backing Up The Truck On The Clueless Downgrade [View article]
    What source said that he average truck buyer is 55? This is the closest I could find: but even then again the average age for any vehicle type seems to be 51+ depending on manufacturer.
    Dec 17, 2014. 10:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Happened To The Dividend Growth Investor Who Didn't Cut And Run [View article]
    Yes, but here we go again to defend a fictional person that has 20% of their wealth in one company.
    Nov 5, 2014. 10:49 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cracker Barrel: Dividend Fixin's For Your Portfolio [View article]
    The Daves of this site are super helpful - David Fish, David Van Knapp, David Crosetti. I can't imagine the DGI section without them.
    Oct 15, 2014. 09:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cracker Barrel: Dividend Fixin's For Your Portfolio [View article]
    I always get a loaf of sourdough on my way out. I should have put that advice in the article.
    Oct 14, 2014. 03:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 45 Attractive Dividend Growth Stocks In Today's Overheated Stock Market - Part 1 [View article]

I think it's worth point out that the list in question is the "Dividend Champions" not the "Price Appreciation Champions." It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

I would ask myself "Did their dividends increase again this year?" - that's why I would select a company from that list. I doubt you're going to get much beta, one way or the other, from a company that's established enough to pay 25+ years of constantly increasing dividends.
    Oct 9, 2014. 03:23 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hasbro Flies High, But What Does This Mean For Dividend Growth Investors? [View article]
    Yes, for clarity's sake: At the end of 2012, like many dividend paying companies, HAS rushed out a payment early to avoid the uncertainty of Bush-era taxes cuts expiring. They would have paid a $.36 dividend in Jan 2013 but they paid it out in late December 2012. In April 2013 Hasbro paid a $.40 dividend. Now they have declared, and will pay in April 2014, a $.43 dividend.

I also own MO myself so maybe it's time for some reallocation like you said! Sounds like a great company to reexamine for another article.
    Feb 11, 2014. 09:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Can Help You Retire When You Want [View article]
    Thank you Gypsy, I could not look up any historical information when I commented on this article.
    Jun 28, 2013. 01:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Can Help You Retire When You Want [View article]
    What has their P/E and earning done in the mean time? In 10 years, yeah, there isn't much price change. But don't cherry pick and forget the 10 before that when MSFT was riding high on the dotcom nonsense-wave and their P/E was absurd. We're talking about a company that trades for less than 10x earnings on year 1
    Jun 28, 2013. 10:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Can Help You Retire When You Want [View article]
    I'm not going to get into an Apple fight, so let's just say there is a company called Oranges.

Oranges has a yield of 3.0% and dividend growth rate (DGR) of 15%. We won't even consider stock buybacks but they are going to have to seriously grow their earnings if they want to sustain a DGR of 15% forever. We'll be generous and say their earnings grow at 15% of year.

So let me get this straight. We have a company that double the dividend and earnings every 5 years. I invest in them for 20 years. That means the dividend and earnings double four times - eg, start at year 1, double (2x the original) in year 5, double again (4x) in year 10, double again (8x) in year 15 and finally double one last time in year 20 (16x). Now, **assuming their share price never changes** that means in 20 years their be is 1/16th of what it is today and their dividend is 16 times larger.

While I applaud a dividend growth model for not relying on share price as part of the 'will they run out of money' question how in the hell can anyone construct a model that assumes, for the sake of reinvestment, that share price never changes? If they company has a P/E of 16 today (and Oranges is more like 9.5) that means you're expecting them to have a P/E of 1.00 in 20 years. After growing earnings at 15% per year. For 20 years. That's not a "no," that's a "hell no!"

I believe in dividend growth investing and that's what I'll rely on for my retirement but this is not in any way a reliable expectation for the behavior of a dividend growth portfolio. It doesn't even mention cash flow which is what a dividend growth portfolio is about. This model and article are flat out destructive to anyone weighing the pros and cons for dividend growth investing.
    Jun 28, 2013. 08:38 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Coca-Cola: It Will Pay Dividends In The Long Run [View article]
    > "with a long standing dividend which has been paid since 1987,"

Yeah, I stopped reading here.
    May 14, 2013. 08:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twenty Dividend Stocks I Recently Purchased For My IRA Rollover [View article]
    "I should know better, since economists as a group are known for having forecast nine out of the past five recessions."

May 2, 2013. 08:57 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Want To Retire Before 60? Here Is What You Need To Know [View article]
    noobie, I definitely feel like that is an under served group in most of the retirement articles you'll find. I have written about some those scenarios in my articles. You can look at my article history if you're interested but I'm not going to post links in someone else's article without their permission.
    May 1, 2013. 11:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Dividend Growth Investing Crippling Your Dividend-Based Retirement? [View article]
    I agree that this is a surprising result but I stand by my math.

In that case we're talking about a stock that has had 1% growth for 30 years while the dividend has grown by 10% for 30 years. The dividend has grown four fold and the stock price barely moves. With dividends reinvested that portfolio becomes a dividend monster.

However, as I described that is a very unlikely scenario. Coke has grown their dividend at that rate (and I recommend you look at their dividend history on their website) but of course their share price has grown as well.
    Apr 24, 2013. 10:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment