Shareholders Unite

View Shareholders Unite's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Japan, A Failed Keynesian State? [View article]
    ["For what it's worth, your comments also benefit readers who don't join in the discussion. Your many comments at SA rank among the best things I read anywhere - - clear, cogent, insightful, and thought provoking."]

Yes, I second that (not for the first time), even if I don't always fully understand him.
    Mar 4, 2015. 08:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Japan, A Failed Keynesian State? [View article]
    ["We admire rich criminals. That is our tragedy. We admire money, not matter how one gets it, or what one does to keep it. Better a crooked somebody, that an honest nobody."]

I have to say, I dunno if I'm the exception here, but I really don't..
    Mar 4, 2015. 08:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Right-Wing Keynesianism? [View article]
    ["I know all about arguments claiming market failure and they're all false."]

We should nominate you for the next Nobel, then..
    Mar 4, 2015. 01:02 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JinkoSolar: Q4 Sheds More Light On The Business [View article]
    Good article, mostly agree. However, there is some link between oil and solar, and it runs via LNG, although this is probably less important for JKS, for which China is the most important market by far and solar is one way to cut the smog in the cities.

Cheap indeed if they can do $130M in free cash flow, with a possible IPO to boost that.
    Mar 4, 2015. 11:16 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cloud Computing Wars 2015 - Google, Microsoft, Docker, Sphere 3D And VMware [View article]
    So, what would the world look like if small companies could never beat big ones?

Are you familiar with the work of Clayton Christensen? Are you aware that most break-through tech actually arives from new small companies?
    Mar 4, 2015. 08:46 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ["Great Article Tech alpha. You make it easy to compare and understand Docker and Sphere3D. Love the Pentagon dance. Sphere3D has great technology and great visionaries behind it."]

Yes, I second that. Thanks for the considerable legwork.
    Mar 3, 2015. 10:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sphere 3D Has A Large Upside [View article]
    Yea right.

You argued, a whole day long, that my calculation was of by a factor of "more than 2"

Based on a typo in the text which had nothing to do with the calculation and no matter how many times I pointed that out (apart from being blatently obvious), you wouldn't let go.

Then months later, you write your own article which contained your own calculation based on the same 9.9Tcf.

And guess what? You end up with a valuation that is, what, 20% lower than mine.

It simply demonstrated without a shred of doubt that your claim that I was off by a factor more than 2x was blatant nonsense.

And even now you can't admit it.

You know why? If it was simply an honest mistake, you would be able to admit it, and I wouldn't have any problem with it, or with you, but you can't admit it because you don't write in good faith. And you do that over and over and over again.

As with the battery issue. You're simply doing a Clinton there. Yes, Clipstrem it taxes the CPU more. I actually admitted that from the start.

But no, in real life the difference is isn't important (as lots of other stuff taxes the battery apart from CPU), apart from the fact that Clipstream is not really intended for a market where people want to watch full length feature films on their mobile.

It's simply an irrelevant argument, intended to scare people. Bad faith.
    Mar 2, 2015. 10:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sphere 3D Has A Large Upside [View article]
    ["Re Google partnership with Sphere, it was confirmed by Jason Katcher last week that Google has no relationship with Sphere. And that Katcher is a private investor, and not an executive. He may have one share, or may have thousands. We have no way of knowing and no way of knowing his personal investment strategy, or if it is profitable.

What we do know is that Google partnered with VMware to deliver Windows desktops and applications in Feb 2014. That means they had plenty of opportunity to review Sphere, and other options."]

Actually Katcher is both an executive and a private investor..

His private investment "strategy" or its profitability is fairly irrelevant. What is relevant is that we can assume he is familiar with Glassware and publicly endorses it. We also know others who do, with names.

What's more, one of them the IT guy from Caney specifically says that they compared it to other solutions and the Dell server with Glassware was the most simplest.

VMware seems a bit of an overkill for delivering some windows education apps to students, and who says that Google was familiar with Glassware in Feb 2014?
    Mar 2, 2015. 01:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sphere 3D Has A Large Upside [View article]
    ["Although Flash has recently added support for H.264, the video on almost all Flash websites currently requires an older generation decoder that is not implemented in mobile chips and must be run in software. The difference is striking: on an iPhone, for example, H.264 videos play for up to 10 hours, while videos decoded in software play for less than 5 hours before the battery is fully drained."]

Irrelevant. Clipstream is like Flash, BUT for battery drain..

Keep ducking and diving..

The Youtube video I used certainly wasn't of higher quality than the Clipstream one although you have a theoretical point here. Still, similar quality video resulting in similar battery drain in a real-life test. If you had a point the quality difference had to be very large (I ran full screen 1920x1080).

I guess you sort of concede the other points, then?
    Mar 2, 2015. 12:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sphere 3D Has A Large Upside [View article]
    ["I could be wrong, of course."]

But why is it then that when you are demonstrated to have been wrong you NEVER admit, always duck and dive..

Did you take a battery drain test (as I did) with full loaded laptop battery comparing Youtube videos and Clipstream ones? Yes or no?

(The difference is VERY minor)

Do you admit that Clipstream is indeed like Flash as you claim, BUT for battery use? Yes or no?

Do specialist codec chips don't need battery power? Yes or no? Can they handle more than one codec? Yes or no?

Are we really moving towards a unified streaming codec? Yes or no?

Do you really think Moore's Law will obsolete content delivery networks and transcoding needs before they obsolete the fractional battery issues or the use of IE8 (the only browser not supporting HTML5 which is needed for Clipstream)? Yes or no?

Since it's off topic I won't make this list longer (at least for now), which is easy to do. These DSNY articles were simply written in bad faith, crash in DSNY has nothing to do with anything you wrote, which is really curious as you could have written a much more honest article arguing the same.

["The problem with ANY, just like DSNY, and just like NQ, is that you can't wait until failure is obvious down to the very last bag holder to get out. One must make an educated assessment. The "wait and see" approach only works while you have someone to dump to."]

Well, yes, I agree that it is my weakness but at least I owe up to it instead of ducking and diving and never admitting any mistake, even when they are glaringly obvious.

Speaking of which, do you still think my calculation of IOC's value based on their official third party resource estimate (GLJ's 9.9Tcf) was "off by a factor more than 2"?

A simple yes or no would do.. :)
    Mar 2, 2015. 12:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sphere 3D Has A Large Upside [View article]
    ["Read my articles on DSNY - it's Clipstream product "does what the company claims" too."]

Actually, you're articles on DSNY, especially the ones about Clipstream are riddled with contradictory claims and wordsmithing:

Yes, they "launched" Clipstream but no, they didn't launch all two dozen verticals (which require their own adaption) and while launching it they discovered the throttling problem. It happens with most new software that one discovers bugs and problems only when going live

Yes, Clipstream uses the CPU, but no, it's not a battery drain as Keubiko claims. I've personally done a test running my pc with Yahoo video loops and with Clipstream loops until the battery fully drained and there wasn't any meaningful difference. I've challenged him several times to do the test and he declined, simply repeating the battery argument

Or proposing another argument, arguing that Clipstream is like Flash, a well known CPU hog. That's true, EXCEPT for its battery use. Flash drains batteries even when video's are not running, Clipstream does not. Keubiko simply seems to have gambled that I (as an economist) wasn't tech savvy enough to know this. Once again, he can't and doesn't answer when I confronted him about this, simply repeating the battery drain stuff.

He touts that the specialized chips doing the decoding of codecs (and is the alternative for Clipstream, which uses CPU, not a special chip) are more energy efficient. They are, but the difference isn't noticeable and these chips cost money and, more crucially, can handle only one codec, something which he conveniently omits.
    He argues that we're moving to en environment with unified codec. We're not.

He argues that some of the main advantages of Clipstream, not needing content delivery networks (CDNs) and transcoding, will be obsoleted by Moore's law. Not any time soon, and it's more likely that any remaining battery issue will be obsolated by Moore's law long before that, if it already hasn't.

When this is pointed out, he argues that CDNs are not necessary for five minute clips. Indeed, but for five minute clips battery becomes even less of a non-issue as well.

He argues that Clipstream isn't universally viewable as one needs HTML5 compatible browsers, which IE8 isn't. But he uses inflated figures for IE8 use and IE8 will disappear much sooner than Moore's law can obsolete the need for CDNs or transcoding.

Ect. etc.

Yes DSNY is down a lot but that has nothing to do with anything Keubiko has claimed, it's simply that Clipstream has been beaten by ISP throttling affecting quality of streams and the software basically had to be rewritten almost from the ground up.
    Mar 2, 2015. 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sphere 3D Has A Large Upside [View article]
    Thanks, but don't worry about me :)

I'm aware that they haven't given you much to work with, you have no experience whatsoever with Glassware, which is why you basically call everyone who has something positive to say about it a liar.

Given the fact that these people have names and some of them are even clients, and you are a an anonymous message board troll who's only purpose it is here on SA to attack this company, it's quite telling.

You also claim that this and that claim from the company isn't demonstrated.

Indeed. It isn't demonstrated to you. Which is not quite the same as to say it isn't demonstrated to people and organizations who actually matter a little more.
    Feb 27, 2015. 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sphere 3D Has A Large Upside [View article]
    I'm aware of that they have quite a bit to prove, which is why I said several times Q1 will be pretty interesting. There are a few things differently this time though:
    - Integration savings with Tandberg
    - Overland accreditive to earnings in the latest filings
    - Nine deals since the beginnings of December
    - New products, more especially new RDX

But yes, I understand there are skeptics out there and I can't really blame them. History is important, but it's not all determining. We'll see the trend in Q1.
    Feb 26, 2015. 09:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sphere 3D Has A Large Upside [View article]
    Ah yes I forgot, anyone disagreeing with you must be an insider or a liar, or probably both.

It's actually in the article on which I base the turn-around, but yes, I've already argued more than once that I have a keen interest in Q1 results..

Did you ever handle or test Glassware yourself?
    Feb 26, 2015. 06:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Economy: This Was Not Supposed To Happen [View article]
    ["unrelenting Keynesian fiscal stimuli post-2008 IMO."]

Huh?! What "unrelenting" fiscal stimuli are you talking about? For much of the years beyond 2011 fiscal policy was actually a drag, especially on the state and local level.
    Feb 26, 2015. 05:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment