Shareholders Unite

View Shareholders Unite's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Apple Almost Pulled It Off [View article]
    Thanks! TV is a different beast, very complicated, there is the possibility of significant lock-in but this is what the content providers want to prevent, so it's more like peeling them off one by one and creating a bandwagon effect. But there are many more variables here, much sharper minds than ours have tried to crack this.
    Mar 6, 2013. 10:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Almost Pulled It Off [View article]
    I have to say, quite a story. Personally, I also like the iPhone, although that didn't interfere with the article's perspective (I hope). However, there are other things out there (most notably the brand new HTC One, if you ask me) that come a little closer..

As for iPad, that too is a beautiful product, with seamless experience. However, I think the Acer Transformer nailed the usability, with the keyboard dock/second battery, which is actually an innovation first introduced by IBM (I'm astounded they never went to market with that)
    Mar 4, 2013. 07:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Almost Pulled It Off [View article]
    Silly statement perhaps, but that's also the verdict of the markets I'm afraid.
    And I did acknowledge some lock-in effects and hence switching cost, but not enough to really provide strong positive feedback effects that would have made their position virtually unassailable.
    Mar 4, 2013. 02:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Almost Pulled It Off [View article]
    Thanks, yes, it's a good question about the patent protection. For society at large, the question is whether present incentives are large enough for companies to keep innovate, even if they're liable to lose much, or all the advantage they create. On the basis of a single case (Apple), I think the answer to that is still a resounding yes, but we have to watch it carefully..
    Mar 4, 2013. 02:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Almost Pulled It Off [View article]
    I think I did mention that, Bill, as I argued these shares are cheap on virtually any metric.
    However, there is some simple textbook economics that can be invoked to show that the future dynamics isn't quite as favourable as the past, so there might not be such a disconnect between share price and financial performance.
    Mar 4, 2013. 01:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Could Build The Dominant Computing Platform [View article]
    fair point, if it catches on.
    Nov 16, 2012. 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Could Build The Dominant Computing Platform [View article]
    Well, historically, that optimism has always delivered. Agreed that this is no guarantee though.
    Nov 16, 2012. 09:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Could Build The Dominant Computing Platform [View article]
    ["Your article does not have quote about discount"]
    Actually you're right there, my mistake (it was there originally, but there were too many quotes, if you must know).

The point is: while one can debate the exact number, the A6x is considerably cheaper. Another point is that these small chips will provide good enough computing power whilst being more energy efficient in the near future, if they're not already do today. The clockspeed of the A6x can also be cranked up quite a bit, and more cores added should the environment require/permit.
    Nov 15, 2012. 06:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Could Build The Dominant Computing Platform [View article]
    ["You really think laptop having i3 chip adds 117$ to BOM when laptop is being sold to enduser priced 348$?"]

No, I obviously didn't think that, perhaps you should read the quote again, especially the part where it says ["Bulk customers like Apple, Dell, Lenovo, and HP presumably get a significant discount"] It isn't too hard to find, it's both in the article and in the comment you react to..
    Nov 15, 2012. 03:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Could Build The Dominant Computing Platform [View article]
    Interesting comment, thanks aperture
    Nov 15, 2012. 02:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Could Build The Dominant Computing Platform [View article]
    Well, I think the playing field is rapidly shifting. If tablets are counted as PC's, Apple is the biggest seller already, and you'd be surprised how many businesses already use iPads as well.
    Nov 15, 2012. 02:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Could Build The Dominant Computing Platform [View article]
    [" If the writer or anyone think that Apple can easily take over the business/enterprise market from Microsoft, they got to be dreaming or smoking something"]

You might want to read the article again, perhaps especially the part at the end, where it says [" But by that time, Apple's lead could be difficult to overcome, at least in the consumer space."]
    Nov 15, 2012. 01:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Could Build The Dominant Computing Platform [View article]
    ["(Doubt that? Intel’s published price lists (PDF) run from $117 for a low-end Core i3 chip to $999 for a high-end Core i7. Bulk customers like Apple, Dell, Lenovo, and HP presumably get a significant discount, but the contrast is stunning: iSuppli estimates Apple pays under $20 for its A6 processor.)"]

Do I have to fact check every article I use..
    Nov 15, 2012. 12:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Repricing Of Apple Shares Should Be Nearly Over [View article]
    Well,
    1) The share price drop is a reality
    2) I didn't write anything you seem to have read in the article. What I do write is that innovators, even sublime ones like Apple, get copied, which leads to market and margin erosion, and that it's hard to string these home runs together. Even Apple cannot defy economics forever.
    3) I hope you also read the title, I think the repricing is basically over.
    Nov 8, 2012. 09:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Repricing Of Apple Shares Should Be Nearly Over [View article]
    Few points
    1) Selling price iPad Mini: I don't live in the US so I took it from an article (the first quote above), sorry, but I think a $10 difference doesn't invalidate the whole article

2) I'm not an Apple "hater" but an admirer. But I also know a little economics. Falling market share and margins are a logical outcome of new entrants/more competitions/ copiers...
    Nov 8, 2012. 08:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment