Shaun Connell

View Shaun Connell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Facebook Search Engine: The Death Of Google? [View article]
    Sure it adds up -- if people use Facebook search /instead/ of Google, they have more "garden" time, to use your metaphor.

Bing is bleeding because they don't have anything close to what Facebook has out of the gate. They're spending the money to hurt Google -- it's very forced, rather than a natural play on already held assets.
    Sep 12 05:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Shale Gas Boom Is Destroying Railroads [View article]
    It's not just nat gas -- its' also the EPA taking out coal in general.
    Sep 11 10:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Moody's expects to lower its U.S. credit rating to Aa1 from Aaa in 2013 unless budget negotiations "produce a stabilization and then downward trend" in the government's debt/GDP ratio. [View news story]
    Lol, and how is Obama preventing the "end" of civilization? He's a do-nothing president who wasted his political capital making medical care more expensive and increasing regulations.

He's not trying to save crap.
    Sep 11 10:22 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell Apple And Run Away? [View article]
    Or after several years, I realized I didn't have any apps and was only using it as a materialistic status symbol that is now really, really common? There's that too. ;-)
    Sep 8 10:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell Apple And Run Away? [View article]
    Say what?
    Sep 8 04:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell Apple And Run Away? [View article]
    Who said anything about a melodramatic "stand" against evil or something? I'm just responding to an article that was wrong.
    Sep 8 03:40 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell Apple And Run Away? [View article]
    Which guy?
    Sep 8 03:06 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell Apple And Run Away? [View article]
    If you're assuming the stock will always perform that way, then that's silly. It's a great company going forward, but I don't think it's the best. ::shrug::

There are lots of fish out there.
    Sep 8 02:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM's Watson App: Google And Apple Should Be Nervous [View article]
    In the short run, maybe. But I'm interested in the long-run. :)
    Sep 8 01:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Peak Gold: Are We Running Out Of Gold Deposits? [View article]
    TR, thanks for the feedback. When I say "hold forever", I mostly mean in the context of earning income. As far as gold bullion, I own it as a safety measure. If I ever begin unloading my gold bullion, it will be because it has been remonetized, most likely due to horrible economic events I really hope don't happen.

(Of course, I occasionally break my own rules when it comes to silver investing, because such a volatile market is hard to not speculate in if you're expecting a long-term bull market. :P)
    Sep 8 12:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM's Watson App: Google And Apple Should Be Nervous [View article]
    I would respond to your argument, but there was nothing to it. Google's business model is great for the short-run, but horrible for the long-run. They've watered down their search results out of paranoia of "spam", Bing has results just as good now, and any new substantial change in search basically kicks Google in the face.
    Sep 8 11:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM's Watson App: Google And Apple Should Be Nervous [View article]
    You might be right about that, but I think the point of the show was a demonstration of Watson's ability to figure things out -- the Jeopardy! angle was just a marketing ploy.

That's awesome you were once a contestant... I'm addicted to the show.
    Sep 8 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM's Watson App: Google And Apple Should Be Nervous [View article]
    Thanks for the kind words! One quick clarification: it costs $3m to set up a Watson install, not for the app itself. I would think they could hook up thousands or tens of thousands of apps to specific Watson installs.
    Sep 8 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM's Watson App: Google And Apple Should Be Nervous [View article]
    You actually might be right about that. We'll see how it plays out. I still like PCs, so maybe I've been blinded by bias. Thanks for the comment.
    -Shaun
    Sep 8 10:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Take The Money And Run [View article]
    Wow, people, calm down. So you disagree? Great. There's no need for insults.
    Sep 8 10:34 AM | 18 Likes Like |Link to Comment