Shaun Rein

View Shaun Rein's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The End Of Cheap China Is Growing Near [View article]
    Thank you Terry . We are in agreement and I just hope rational minds prevail.
    Dec 14 04:50 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Suggestions on How to Promote a Book? [View instapost]
    Thank you Salacious for the comments and suggestions. Indeed, Amazon really is a game changer - I have been able to direct people there to pre-order a copy which has helped build critical momentum. Without that, folks would have had to wait months for the release in brick and mortar stores. As an author, Amazon has been the easiest one to work with. Hope you enjoy the book if you get a chance to read it and thanks again.
    Dec 13 04:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks To Own And Stocks To Avoid To Profit From China's Growth - An Interview With China Expert Shaun Rein, Part 1 [View article]
    BEA: Yes, that is true in part. Far too many companies, and govt investments, lack good ROE. Investors should be wary of that, and there are more efficient ways to invest as I mentioned, but those investments help to bolster new industries/ companies and provide employment.
    Dec 5 05:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Freshthought for the kind comments. Glad you enjoyed the interview. I too am fairly bullish on internet search. I am terrible at valuations but consumer and ad demand for Baidu will remain very robust and I agree that export oriented firms should be avoided right now.
    Dec 5 08:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

Brian: thank you for the comments. The education sector is huge here as you rightly point out -- the state system is a total mess so that leaves an opportunity in the private training sector. I actually have a whole chapter in the book about the education sector and how it needs to reform, what is stopping that reform, and what that means for private businessmen..
    Dec 4 04:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks dsr70: thanks for the good comments. I hope this interview and book will trigger some good debates and better understanding of China.

We are busy with CMR... this year about 40% of our business actually has been conducting due diligence for hedge funds and PE firms (up from 20% last year). I have considered very strongly about setting up a fund, not sure if it will be traded, and not sure when and if I definitely set one up. One of the reasons frankly I have not done it is that there are so few good Chinese stocks traded abroad. Many of the funds have exposure to the same bucket of stocks. I am more inclined to do something if the govt eases up foreign restriction on a-shares in China. Then I will have a major competitive advantage. Thanks again for the comments and hope you enjoy the book if you get the chance to read it.,
    Dec 4 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

We are busy with CMR... this year about 40% of our business actually has been conducting due diligence for hedge funds and PE firms (up from 20% last year). I have considered very strongly about setting up a fund, not sure if it will be traded, and not sure when and if I definitely set one up. One of the reasons frankly I have not done it is that there are so few good Chinese stocks traded abroad. Many of the funds have exposure to the same bucket of stocks. I am more inclined to do something if the govt eases up foreign restriction on a-shares in China. Then I will have a major competitive advantage. Thanks again for the comments and hope you enjoy the book if you get the chance to read it..
    Dec 4 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    mh001: Agreed, thanks.
    Dec 4 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jon -- thanks for posting the thread to your article. Glad you found the interview useful and are posting to your newsletter.,
    Dec 4 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Webmind: fair points. The govt is concerned about a widening gap between rich and poor and are trying to minimize issues by raising minimum wages. If they cannot address this, there could be problems.

Instead of telling me to get on a motorcycle and get into the real China, please tell me where you get your data on China and define for me the "real China". My data comes from my team and me going to 15 cities regularly, even up to places like the mountains of Sichuan. I have been living here since the mid 1990s. How about you? Let's use data points to discuss and not get diverted by your other issues. The first half of your post somewhat useful, the second half not so much.
    Dec 4 04:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment

joenatural : sorry, I cannot divulge that info. I will say, be cautious of Muddy Waters and Citron. Some of their work is quite good but some of it reads like Onion material..
    Dec 4 04:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    LVI: if China's stops growing, then there would be a global problem. I just don't see that happening -- we expect growth to slow to a much healthier clip of 8% for the next year or two. This is actually good because it might temper inflation.
    Dec 4 04:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    dsr70: glad you found the piece timely. The Chinese consumer sector is one of the most important trends in the world for the next 5 years. China will eclipse US as largest market for Intel next year. Worth looking at the sector again..
    Dec 4 04:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Amalagoli: indeed, the government needs to need get better at the efficiency of the public works investment. Much of it during the stimulus was not as efficient as it could have been, but in many ways the speed of their reaction was the most important as it caused confidence..
    Dec 4 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Profiting From China's Growth With Sector And Macro Bets - An Interview With China Expert Shaun Rein, Part II [View article]

JC51: I respectfully disagree with most of your points. I will only address 1... I don't consumption as a percentage has been dropping. We actually think it has gone to 42%, up from 30%, and will continue to hit 50% in next 5 years. The reason many economists get that number wrong is they underestimate the size of the underground economy. Moreover, to reduce taxes, most entrepreneurs charge all personal consumption to companies, form cars to even toiletries. That spending should count for consumption but gets counted by most folks who don't really dig in deep enough to the #s as business costs and even business savings rates.,
    Dec 4 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment