Shaun Rein

View Shaun Rein's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Profiting From China's Growth With Sector And Macro Bets - An Interview With China Expert Shaun Rein, Part II [View article]
    TJ: thanks for posting the other ETFs. I don't see how I am uninformed ... my points remain the same. I am not a big believer in the ETFs for China. We might disagree on that but disagree makes the world go around..
    Dec 4, 2011. 04:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

masterpanda: in general, I am very bullish on Sichuan province. Awesome place and growing well. I also in general prefer private companies over SOEs. SOEs are lumbering and you have to get good at business and political analysis..
    Dec 4, 2011. 04:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

Osolemio: on a more personal note, I am the byproduct of the Jewish and chinese Diaspora. My father is Jewish tracing to Germany, and my mother is 5h generation Chinese born in the US, originally working on the Cal. goldmines. Diasporas are fun to analyze..
    Dec 4, 2011. 04:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment

dsr70: indeed, there is a huge human capital need in China -- many are going abroad and now returning which helps but more is needed. That is a key area for investors to look at...
    Dec 4, 2011. 04:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    mh001: we are in agreement again. BTW, I do read the comments on most of my columns that I post here on SA (don't always respond) but I have enjoyed reading your comments over the years
    Dec 4, 2011. 04:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

Osolemio - agreed. China needs to get better at soft power. It has sent 1 million Chinese abroad to study in last 30 years so actually many in China get the US very well. I think many in the Us simply disagree with China's foreign policy thrust, much as many in China disagree with America's actions.
    Dec 4, 2011. 04:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

audreycao: thank you for the comments. We are in agreement on the consumption shift -- it is happening, sometime will be messy, but it is happening...
    Dec 4, 2011. 04:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dig Deep: excellent questions actually and we are in agreement for the most part on the concerns. You are right, if more job creation in the middle class level does not work, then who is going to fill in the vacant apartments? Etc...

One key area is that FDI is soaring. For instance, Citigroup is tripling the number of Chinese employees in next 3 years. Pepsi, Disney all announced multi billionaire dollar investments. Successful steering is not a foregone conclusion, and you have pinpointed key areas for sure, but I am optimistic. I cannot answer all your questions here but if you read many of my past and future writings much of your concerns are addressed.
    Dec 4, 2011. 04:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks To Own And Stocks To Avoid To Profit From China's Growth - An Interview With China Expert Shaun Rein, Part 1 [View article]
    Old Trader: glad you found the interview timely. Yes, the speed that the govt is pushing reforms is amazing. It is not guaranteed that it will turn out well, but they are trying and I am optimistic. 21 of China's 31 provinces this year for instance raised the minimum wage by over 20%.
    Dec 3, 2011. 05:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi All,

This is Shaun Rein, the person that David kindly interviewed. I will be trying to answer as many of the comments here as well as those on Part 1 of the interview that I can. I hope that you enjoy the interview and found it useful for you investing and general interest needs.

Thanks again to David for the interview. I have been writing for SA for 6 years now, since its very early days. I actually got my start in business writing with SA. Love the resource.
    Dec 3, 2011. 05:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi All,

This is Shaun Rein, the person that David kindly interviewed. I will be trying to answer as many of the comments here as well as those on Part 2 of the interview that I can. I hope that you enjoy the interview and found it useful for you investing and general interest needs.

Dec 3, 2011. 05:39 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Judge China on Phantom Facts [View article]
    Thanks Kyle for the kind comments. You have actually touched upon the subject of a book I am writing for John Wiley...

"The End of Cheap China". He and the guy that controls 4% of exports I think agree on trends in the marketplace. Look forward to hearing your views of the book once it comes out.
    Jul 21, 2011. 08:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Judge China on Phantom Facts [View article]
    mh001 is correct, Hax, I live in Shanghai and have lived in China most of my adult life.

I understand there are issues in China but debate needs to be based on rational discourse and hard core data, not made up facts. You really must tell me where all those empty highways around as I always seem to be stuck in traffic.

Telling me about your landlords holdings would be far more useful if you told me how much leverage he has on all those apartments. Your story about the Wenzhou people coming and buying apartments in cash kind of proves my point -- there is little leverage in the marketplace.

Even if prices drop, and they might, it won't cause a panic. So it seems to me our own insights prove my points so that you.
    Jul 18, 2011. 07:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Judge China on Phantom Facts [View article]
    Tony -- You sure do comment a lot. Where do you disagree with my points? I have refuted quite clearly phantom facts Roubini and Huang put forward. Do you have rational views/ data points that refute mine?

If so, I would be glad to hear them. Always good to have respectful, professional debate. Until you come out with your real name I will not respond to you anymore.

Ben Gee: it does seem hard for some to understand that China is evolving in a good way. And nut jobs like to criticize people for pointing out the positive trends.

It is specifically for my dislike of anonymity that I don't respond to comments often on Seeking Alpha.
    Jul 12, 2011. 10:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying China Stocks Often Has Worse Odds Than Gambling [View article]
    Dear All,

Thank you for the excellent comments. As a FYI, I do not respond to many comments on SA because I don't like the anonymous nature of many of the discussions as it sometimes causes a lack of civility. I am however quite good at responding to comments via Linked In groups (where there is no anonymity). Debate there tends to be good. If you want to know which groups I participate in, feel free to send me a Linked In invite and I will accept.

I am also writing a book on China's economy and will be active on Linked In during the writing process.---
    Jul 6, 2011. 09:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment