Shaun Rein

View Shaun Rein's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Stocks To Own And Stocks To Avoid To Profit From China's Growth - An Interview With China Expert Shaun Rein, Part 1 [View article]
    BEA: I am going to stop responding to you now. I have been very friendly, professional and patient with you but when you make statement like...

"you guys both think it is perfectly legal in china to engage in tax evasion? sounds like you both are discrediting yourselves."

it becomes very obvious that it is a total waste of time trying to engage you/ respond to your questions. Neither Sam nor I said it was legal to evade taxes.

BTW, why do you remain anonymous? I just don't get that.
    Jul 23, 2012. 03:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The underground economy is far larger than any over-reporting... most firms under report in order to minimize tax implications. Sam's analysis below is aligned with my own thinking and research.
    Jul 21, 2012. 07:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China's Economy Heading For A Crash? [View article]
    KDI: you seem to use facts just fine but I don't see how issues on water currently is going to cause a massive cycle of deaths in China. Nor do I see a growing number of massive riots that are threatening to take down the state. My book End of Cheap China has observations on some riots that I have been involved with... protests tend to be targeted on a fairly micro issue and are not trying to topple the State. Most people still support the direction the govt is taking the country, see Pew Center data on this.
    Jul 21, 2012. 03:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China's Economy Heading For A Crash? [View article]
    DaLatin/ Sam: rents in Lujiazui are soaring indeed because of limited grade a office space. My firm's rent went up 18% this year... and I felt lucky at the reasonableness...
    Jul 21, 2012. 03:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China's Economy Heading For A Crash? [View article]
    Sam: agreed. the correction is healthy. One concern point is how if at all the drought in the US will affect exports to China for corn and other crops... especially on food inflation now that overall CPI is around 2.2% which is a very manageable number.
    Jul 21, 2012. 03:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Sam: exactly. the underground is far larger than most economists estimate (that was a major part of my graduate school thesis) which does help explain why China is so expensive. The End of Cheap China has indeed arrived.
    Jul 21, 2012. 02:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China's Economy Heading For A Crash? [View article]
    A verge of another massive die-off? Where is the data, stats, anything to even come close to entertaining this conclusion/ notion? Please share.
    Jul 18, 2012. 08:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Profiting From China's Growth With Sector And Macro Bets - An Interview With China Expert Shaun Rein, Part II [View article]
    Yes, as I have written extensively, everyday individual retail investors should not be investing China if it is money they are not able to lose. A large part of my business is due diligence for hedge funds... the amount of fraud is unbelievable. Be very careful of investing in Chinese stocks.
    Jul 18, 2012. 08:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China's Economy Heading For A Crash? [View article]
    Thanks canb888 for the kind comments. Exactly, rental prices are going up and the ultra high end residential units are selling out like crazy. The limits are causing the price softening -- and they should have limits to prevent a bubble -- not lack of money or demand.

The govt needs to get more affordable rental housing available. That is a key area that is weak but not enough to threaten the system.
    Jul 17, 2012. 08:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China's Economy Heading For A Crash? [View article]
    Water remains a serious issue in China, which is why high polluting, high water usage factories are being pushed out of China. That would mean why I am optimistic w electricity generation drops -- the govt is pushing these factories out in order to conserve electricity production.
    Jul 17, 2012. 08:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China's Economy Heading For A Crash? [View article]
    Thanks Sam. Indeed, none of these figures would have been a surprise in my mind if folks had been following what the govt said a year ago -- they were going to clamp down on soaring real estate, and non-performing loans at the local level. I am not overly concerned about current economic situation.

I am concerned that too much new money is going into infra projects. There are more useful ways to stimulate the economy.
    Jul 17, 2012. 08:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China's Economy Heading For A Crash? [View article]
    Thanks Tony for the kind comments. I don't understand these trolls. They often don't seem to use real data points in their analysis. Oh well, just bet against them.
    Jul 17, 2012. 08:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China's Economy Heading For A Crash? [View article]
    TonyP4: indeed, The End of Cheap China net-net is a positive... both for Chinese in terms of progressive and for the world.... as long as nations and companies can evolve.
    Jul 17, 2012. 09:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China's Economy Heading For A Crash? [View article]
    Oh, thanks. I thought you were talking about me.
    Jul 17, 2012. 08:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is China's Economy Heading For A Crash? [View article]
    Thank you for the note/ retraction. I respect that.
    Jul 17, 2012. 12:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment