Shaun Rein

View Shaun Rein's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • The End Of Cheap China Is Growing Near [View article]
    Thanks Totoro. I hope you enjoy my book -- it is very different from Paul's. I think Paul's was excellent and accurate... for factories 10 years ago.There are still many factories like that in China but prices have gotten so high that those factories for the most part have shut or moved to other countries. A big part of my book tracks that, and shows the top notch factories that have been built up in last 5 years since Paul did most of his research. Look forward to hearing your comments on the book after you read.
    Dec 15 01:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The End Of Cheap China Is Growing Near [View article]
    Hopefully the read of it will be just as fun and titillating. Of course, I would be remiss, if I did not make clear I did not do anything my wife would not be ok with.
    Dec 14 04:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks To Own And Stocks To Avoid To Profit From China's Growth - An Interview With China Expert Shaun Rein, Part 1 [View article]

Brian: thank you for the comments. The education sector is huge here as you rightly point out -- the state system is a total mess so that leaves an opportunity in the private training sector. I actually have a whole chapter in the book about the education sector and how it needs to reform, what is stopping that reform, and what that means for private businessmen..
    Dec 4 04:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    dsr70: glad you found the piece timely. The Chinese consumer sector is one of the most important trends in the world for the next 5 years. China will eclipse US as largest market for Intel next year. Worth looking at the sector again..
    Dec 4 04:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Profiting From China's Growth With Sector And Macro Bets - An Interview With China Expert Shaun Rein, Part II [View article]

dsr70: indeed, there is a huge human capital need in China -- many are going abroad and now returning which helps but more is needed. That is a key area for investors to look at...
    Dec 4 04:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Old Trader: glad you found the interview timely. Yes, the speed that the govt is pushing reforms is amazing. It is not guaranteed that it will turn out well, but they are trying and I am optimistic. 21 of China's 31 provinces this year for instance raised the minimum wage by over 20%.
    Dec 3 05:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi All,

This is Shaun Rein, the person that David kindly interviewed. I will be trying to answer as many of the comments here as well as those on Part 1 of the interview that I can. I hope that you enjoy the interview and found it useful for you investing and general interest needs.

Thanks again to David for the interview. I have been writing for SA for 6 years now, since its very early days. I actually got my start in business writing with SA. Love the resource.
    Dec 3 05:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • China: Is Retail Growth a Proxy for Consumption Growth? [View article]
    Sales in Beijing is certainly not indicative of sales throughout China. According to our research, the most pessimistic consumers (aside from those in Guangdong) are in Beijing and Shanghai. Growth is being driven in 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier cities. Brands that have exposure there are doing fabulously well, while brands that only focused in BJ/ SH are getting hit harder. Also, some brands are taking a hit while others (usually the ones that are better branded) are doing very well so empty malls in Beijing mean nothing to overall retail sales. We have conducted what I think is the most exhaustive research into Chinese consumers... 15 cities in recent months ...
    Sep 17 01:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • China: Is Retail Growth a Proxy for Consumption Growth? [View article]
    It really amazes me how folks continue to be so bearish on retail sales in China... and even more surprising that folks say that the sales are massaged by the Govt etc. or made up.

It is simple... call the retailers and interview consumers. Consumers keep on spending and some retailers (the better branded ones) are booming while some retailers collapse. But sales are very real.

Sorry folks who are naysayers about everything, most of my clients are seeing record sales in China and they certainly are not selling everything to the govt or being forced to fake numbers.
    Sep 16 08:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will U.S. Growth Beat China's in 2009? [View article]
    "A key mistake made by the Fed in the 1930s Depression (and one identified by Ben Bernanke in his PhD thesis) was to constrict money supply at a critical juncture after the Wall Street crash, and that is an error the current Fed is taking extreme pains not to repeat. However, Chinese authorities, lacking that institutional memory, are set to repeat this mistake just as the country's merchandise exports slump despite ever increasing export subsidies and a recently depreciating currency."

Ummm... China announced 2 days ago that it was increasing money supply by 17%...
    Dec 17 08:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • For U.S. Brands, There's No Middle In China's Middle Class [View article]
    I actually think Coach will do well -- it is not considered middle class here... it is a good choice for a woman buying a 2nd or 3rd or 4th bag. It is considered good value for stylish women.
    Feb 1 07:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why 8% May Not Be The Magic Number For China [View article]
    Thanks for the kind comments MiaMia. Have a nice day.
    Jan 22 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BEA: where did I ever say it is legal to evade taxes? For you to continue to argue that I did shows your inability to comprehend basic points. I should not be surprised as the rest of your posts indicate the same manipulation of words.
    Jul 23 12:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BEA: I am going to stop responding to you now. I have been very friendly, professional and patient with you but when you make statement like...

"you guys both think it is perfectly legal in china to engage in tax evasion? sounds like you both are discrediting yourselves."

it becomes very obvious that it is a total waste of time trying to engage you/ respond to your questions. Neither Sam nor I said it was legal to evade taxes.

BTW, why do you remain anonymous? I just don't get that.
    Jul 23 03:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The underground economy is far larger than any over-reporting... most firms under report in order to minimize tax implications. Sam's analysis below is aligned with my own thinking and research.
    Jul 21 07:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment