Shelby Cardozo

View Shelby Cardozo's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Telefonica: High Dividend Visibility, A 5%+ Yield, And Share Buybacks Make This Telecom Worth Considering [View article]
    Debt is a big risk, like most telecoms they carry a high level of debt. Also there is a great deal of regulatory risk in Europe as there is a constant effort to limit revenue from fees based on roaming from network to network. Not to mention the increased pricing pressures in Europe due to competition. In south America you have risk from increased CAPEX spending related to wireless business and decreased revenues in Brazil and the struggling economies, though Europe's economies in markets where TEF operates aren't performing stellar. Then there's the YOY revenue decline. Plenty of risk.
    Feb 25, 2015. 04:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Averaging Down: Up To My Knees In Oil [View article]
    six-oh,

I'm not sure we'll see that kind of capitulation in the oil market. The only factor which could bring that about I believe would be if the US and several countries like China, entered recession. A global demand decrease is the only thing I can imagine. So far, since the writing of this article, every of my oil acquisitions so far is in the green. The downside of which is that I didn't get a big opportunity to average down and am left with partial positions in several in the industry.
    Feb 24, 2015. 01:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Averaging Down: Up To My Knees In Oil [View article]
    JerryofNC,

I own a partial position in JNJ finally btw.
    Feb 24, 2015. 01:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making The Plays In Your Own Retirement [View article]
    Hi Barrie,

I think you may be under some misinformation. At one point coal represented 57% of the company's output, followed by nuclear 23% and natural gas 16%. Though the coal number has declined in recent years the natural gas and renewable including solar have increased significantly. Nuclear is just another piece of the energy pie.
    Feb 22, 2015. 10:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making The Plays In Your Own Retirement [View article]
    moneyvester,

Thanks for the feedback. The extent of my knowledge is that which you describe, I need to fund a non deductible IRA and backdoor into a Roth. Thanks for the feedback.
    Feb 22, 2015. 01:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making The Plays In Your Own Retirement [View article]
    Excellent point and I couldn't have said it any better.
    Feb 21, 2015. 06:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making The Plays In Your Own Retirement [View article]
    Loophole69,

I don't have an age target persay, though the goal is to retire as quickly as possible. It's more of an income number. I'd like to generate a minimum of 60k a year in dividend revenue at 4% yield.
    Feb 21, 2015. 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making The Plays In Your Own Retirement [View article]
    HGERRING1,

I don't believe I am eligible for a roth due to income and I should probably be investing in a non-deductible IRA, however, the taxible account has been what I'm investing in and I have zero commision trades with Merrill Edge.
    Feb 21, 2015. 11:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making The Plays In Your Own Retirement [View article]
    Excellent call gtjohnboy!
    Feb 20, 2015. 08:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making The Plays In Your Own Retirement [View article]
    Thanks again rickevan!
    Feb 20, 2015. 08:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making The Plays In Your Own Retirement [View article]
    Thanks for the comments Ckent323,

For myself, a position in my late to the game retirement portfolio is about $2000 or 10%. This is mostly because I'm a rapid accumulation phase. My portfolio grows in size through new purchases by at least 5% a month, sometimes more. Which means that which was a 10% position today, will rapidly shrink to be a much smaller position due to the rapid contributions to the portfolio.

I'll be update my profile to provide a listing of the holdings in this portfolio this week.
    Feb 20, 2015. 04:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Cautionary Tale For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    "To get the most out of DGI, the prudent investor uses opportunities like the recession and the bottoms found from 2008-2009 to sink huge amounts of capital into quality holdings. Those big dips can literally form the foundation of a lifetime of investment success."

One could argue that your advice applies to DGI as much as any other strategy. Which brings us back to an interesting debate, the % of cash to hold at any one time. Trying to time those big dips while fun to theorize, is actually a difficult process and tends to benefit those with long time frames. Those with short time frame for accumulation it's a near impossible task.
    Feb 13, 2015. 12:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • HCP Inc. Slides On Woes Related To Its Top Tenant [View article]
    You know that old Taco bell in your town that has managed to be a noodle palace, a dry cleaner, a car wash and some kind of south Asian food restaurant. A SNF is like that. It doesn't matter who runs the thing. There are always heads in beds paying the rent.
    Feb 12, 2015. 05:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • HCP Inc. Slides On Woes Related To Its Top Tenant [View article]
    Lets say HCR goes belly up tomorrow, closes doors, crazy unrealistic scenario. Regardless, there are still heads in beds. There are still billing medicare. There are plenty of other healthcare SNF operators who will step in, ensure patient medical necessity, improve payer mix, charge medicare or insurance and pay the rent.
    Feb 11, 2015. 01:55 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Verizon's $10 Billion Asset Sale Should Concern Shareholders [View article]
    Hey what do you know. Investing in wireless, divesting the broadband. It's almost like they're wanting to avoid being a utility.
    Feb 7, 2015. 01:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment