Shelby Cardozo

View Shelby Cardozo's Comments BY TICKER:
    Mike,

Thanks for the comments. With oil prices having fell, several things suddenly appeared on sale, one after another, opportunities came and ate up my biweekly cash contribution. In the future, I'll be carrying a larger dry powder position to take advantage of the opportunities.

I appreciate the feedback. To some degree this is likely just a phase of the investment education cycle and I am sure once the portfolio is larger I'll be less concerned about this in the future.
    May 1, 2015. 03:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Owens & Minor Business Model Shift Not Being Priced In [View article]
    I recently purchased a position in OMI. In the hospital settings I see the stuff they bring every day. There isn't a work day that goes by that I don't see, touch, use something that came from OMI. I think Qniform is onto something, some consolidation or bolt on seems like a reasonable concept considering the synergies involved.
    May 1, 2015. 12:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rhiannion,

Excellent point. Time is a healer, no doubt about that. Patience is key. No doubt, more opportunities will come, some came and went, but there will always be more. You've got a solid perspective. :D
    May 1, 2015. 12:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DGM01,

Interesting. This is something I honestly didn't really plan out, mostly gut feelings when I averaged down. I think a predefined averaging strategy that sets buys based on available cash is probably best. It's something I thought of but didn't implement. I imagine that if I had defined such a system my returns might have better more improved.
    May 1, 2015. 12:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ASB Hawaii Is About To Erupt [View article]
    When looking at the islands, is it any wonder that solar utilization is pushing higher than 10% and growing? The utilities there fighting to charge users for having to deal with the extra electricity they generate. People are putting the utilities out of their defined roles and companies are having trouble adapting. Capitalism at it's best. Too expensive power, generate your own.
    May 1, 2015. 11:39 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    edexter,

Interesting insight. Best of luck with your investing.
    May 1, 2015. 09:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    RecRoomScott,

You can borrow some spray anytime. Do you stay fully invested or do you keep cash to take advantage of those great opportunities?
    May 1, 2015. 09:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    rdbach,

That's an interesting idea and something I never considered. I wish you continued luck.
    May 1, 2015. 09:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sethmcs,

Good insight. I'm not too concerned about the time it takes for recovery, in the original article, I hypothesized it would take many months or longer. I think that there hasn't been enough capitulation by small inefficient oil yet and there may be more to come. I will be looking forward to more pain, as it will allow me to grow my small positions finally. This time I'll have more cash hopefully.
    May 1, 2015. 09:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hahah Zaphod15,

Great username. Perhaps we're the Zaphod of the investment world.
    May 1, 2015. 09:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    bucknfl,

Indeed you are right, sometimes the path up is easier than the path down. When making a purchase, I don't necessarily ask myself, "is this the bottom" when I'm averaging down. I'm typically looking at the holding in my portfolio, doubling the size of the position whenever if drops a few percentage points into the red.

Mind you I've already screened my purchases and will undoubtedly want to own them for a long time, so riding the train lower is usually acceptable. What I need to learn, is how to be happy with and live with small potatoes.
    Apr 30, 2015. 10:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Maybenot,

I appreciate the feedback. I think my biggest area with which I struggle, is my appetite for growing my portfolio. I think learning to hold onto more cash is a lesson I need to try and learn better.
    Apr 30, 2015. 10:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    UncleEddie,

This is definitely something to consider, having the cash on hand to move from a half to a whole, or vise versa seems smart. I think my problem is that I was moving in portions smaller than halves.
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the feedback Hilo,

Indeed, you are right. It is classic "fish that got away" syndrome that irks me sometimes. A shopping list too long with enough cash for only the basics. You are right though, it's important to look at total returns, regardless of the position size.
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks chambke007,

Watching O and OHI right now also. It feels as though there's never enough money to buy everything on my shopping list. I'm still trying to learn to balance between fully invested and having cash for full positions.
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment